Find jobs for Director, Business Development

Advertising

1y

a

Creative Director

Which staffing agency is better? City - Los Angeles, Industry - Media/Entertainment/marketing, Role - Designer Creative Circle 24seven Onward Search Vitamin T (Not looking for a job. Looking for temp support on a few projects.)

10 Comments

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Vitamin T and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0

Loving it!

Apr 27, 2018 - Director of Business Development
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great extensive training program, everyone is ready and willing to help when needed. I feel like I have awesome resources and a great team to back me up when I need help! I'm really enjoying my time here and I look forward to a long career with this company.

Cons

I can see how it could be challenging if you have a more soft spoken personality to get lost in the shuffle. It's important to make sure you're consistently staying in the conversation - both internally and externally.

2 people found this review helpful

President

Way to speak up! :) This is Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, and I am so thankful for your feedback here. I, too, am looking forward to your long career here, and if there's anything we can do to provide more support to those less vocal or make sure we include all voices in the conversation, please let me know at 323 475 7374 or shall@vitamintalent.com. Thanks again!

2. 5.0

Off to a great start!

Jan 12, 2018 - Director, Business Development in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I've nearly completed my 2nd month with Vitamin T and am loving it so far. The training program was extensive, setting me up to hit the ground running upon completion. The team and my boss foster a collaborative, supportive environment and we have a ton of opportunity in our market. The company also does a ton in each of the communities it operates in as well, which is fun to be a part of. Vitamin T's approach to building business is rooted in the core values of the company, which makes my job easy as well!

Cons

Not really any cons to speak of so far. There has been some change in the sales strategy throughout the organization, but that happens to all companies.

5 people found this review helpful

President

THANK YOU for your awesome review! This is Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, and I'm thrilled you're off to a great start. As you know, I sit in LA and would welcome any feedback as you progress here that will help you be just as satisfied 2 years from now as you are at 2 months. Thanks again! shall@vitamintalent.com 323 475 7374

3. 5.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Atlanta BDM

Jun 23, 2017 - Director of Business Development in Atlanta, GA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I really enjoyed working with the other employees. VT is separate from Aquent, but we all sat in the same office. My direct manager was and still is the best manager I have ever worked for. The office is located in the historic Biltmore and it's in Atlanta proper. The salary and commission structure were very good and work seemed to come in quickly. I had some health issues and I think that's what determined my fate with VT and I really wish it hadn't. I can honestly say working for Vitamin T was one of the best career experiences I have had. The training was sporadic, but decent. On a personal note, they had monthly calls with the CEO of the company and everyone REALLY enjoyed them! (Myself included) I loved working for VT and if I could go back, I would. The culture and environment of Vitamin T and Aquent was very relaxed and fun. Work hard/Play hard.

Cons

When I was on my way out, they started a new type of training and I really wish that was in place when I was there. VT is unlike any creative staffing firm and therefore their model is very different than most, so I do think there needs to be more training when it comes to their process.

3 people found this review helpful

President

Thank you so much for your response! I'm Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T, talking head for those monthly calls, and I appreciate your kind words. I'm so glad you enjoyed working here and thank you for your feedback on our training. If you don't mind, I'd love any specifics we can improve for our training, and though I'm sure you know how to reach me, you can connect with me at shall@vitamintalent.com or 323 475 7374. Thanks again!

4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Great Place To Work, But Not Forever - Business Development Manager

Mar 23, 2017 - Director of Business Development
    Business Outlook

Pros

Unlimited PTO - AMAZING! Flexible work/life balance - they are extremely understanding of emergencies and illness. I love how my manager didn't make me feel guilty for needing to take time off. And I worked from home one day per week! Hawaii Beach House Relaxed dress code - I wore leggings and sneakers to work every day except when I had client meetings. Decent benefits Tuition Reimbursement of up to $8K per year

Cons

Vitamin T is EXTREMELY metrics and numbers driven... as expected because it's a staffing agency, right? WRONG! Vitamin T tracks how many connects you make with contacts you call and how many orders you bring in per week. Most staffing companies care about your activity numbers. Though both of these are important metrics to track, realistically, the expectations are stupid. I don't have control over who answers the phone when I call... I can only control how many people I reach out to. I can call the same person 5 times and never get an answer, but I don't get credit for that because that's not what they're holding me accountable for. Again... STUPID. I get the cause and effect of it where one breeds the results of the other, but you should hold people accountable for metrics they actually can control. I also think it's stupid to track FTEs and not gross profit. Why are you so focused on how many hours and people are out working instead of being more worried about how much money they're bringing the company? Again... stupid. I got put on a performance plan for FOUR WEEKS because I wasn't hitting 50 connects and putting in 5 orders per week. Not only was the performance plan STUPID, but FOUR WEEKS? That's it? They should've just fired me then because it's not possible for any sales person in this organization to be able to hit certain metrics in such a short amount of time with no leadership or direction. To ask your manager to help introduce you to contacts and old connections they have in their network and to be told that there isn't any in a metro city is just absurd. What was my activity you ask? Well... EXTREMELY high since the expectations were extremely unrealistic. Yet, was I ever praised for making 500 calls in a week? Nope. Just condemned for NOT bringing in 5 orders and connecting with 50 people. Talk about undervalued. It's a revolving door around here for employees because of management expectations. I've never been in a company that held you accountable for metrics they weren't trying to help you reach. And let's not forget some other cons: Commission Structure is terrible, so if you're in a market that isn't doing well, you won't make any good money. Clique-y. It's all about friendships and relationships. Management will look out for you if you're their friend, but if you have no working or personal relationship with the manager, you can forget about them trying to help you. Privileges and incentives are given to friends of managers, not everyone else, so you can bet that you'll be promoted if you and the manager go out every Friday over the person who is actually the TOP performer on the team. Management will make up lies about you in WRITING and send them to HR. Managers who are in management shouldn't be. A lot of them use their own biased in the job that not only leads to neglect of employees, but a lack of investment in their growth. Company is more focused on the quantity of EVERYTHING than the quality. You will have meetings everyday talking about the same things. Your manager will ask what orders are coming in for that DAY, and you better have an answer ready. And if you don't have any to mention, he/she won't provide any suggestions or interject themselves in the process to help you hit your goals. Tenure is more important than ability, skills and production. If you're new and not producing, you'll be fired before the person who's been there for 5 years and hasn't produced. And they'll put the worst possible people in management and senior positions to train and then ask questions as to why the market isn't performing. Well... your management choice has a lot to do with that, Vitamin T. Most of the managers and senior level folks in the company input things in the system for the sake of having a number calculated, but won't ACTUALLY have done the work. I have friends who still work for Vitamin T who have so many complaints about the managers and the expectations. My advice... if you're in sales and looking to be successful, Vitamin T isn't the place. Trust me.

14 people found this review helpful

President

Very disappointed to read this. This is Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T (likely you expected my response since you worked here!), and I genuinely wish you had reached out directly before you left. First of all, thank you for acknowledging the perks of working here - my favorite perk is the the people we get to work with here (another reason for my disappointment at your experience). I also know you've heard me say this before, but the more we reach out, the more opportunity we identify, which is why contacting customers is so important. That said, I hope you also heard me say it is NOT about hitting a number. We are here to HELP PEOPLE, and the more people we connect with, the more opportunities we have to do just that. And that is why, yes, we use metrics (as most companies do). I'm sure you realize this, but GP is remarkably important, so that we can continue to invest in our company and help even more people connect - and FTEs are one way to achieve that. Again, surely nothing you didn't hear while you were here. Regardless, I'm sorry your experience here was not ideal for you, and I am more than happy to talk to you (or any of your friends who have concerns) if you'd like at shall@vitamintalent.com or 323 475 7374.

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Vitamin T - Switching Roles

Sep 20, 2016 - Director of Business Development in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I started off with VT in June 2015 on the agent side (working solely with talent) in their NYC location. In September 2016 I was planning on moving to San Diego and we just so happen to have an office in SD! I was able to transfer within the company and am now on the Business Development side. I am very fortunate that my company wanted to consider me for the transfer and made the transition very seamless.

Cons

Structure can be a bit different in terms of office/location.

3 people found this review helpful

President

SO GLAD you are staying with us :) I won't share your name here, but I DO know who you are and you are going to rock it in San Diego! That is a super team and you will be a super addition. Thanks for your flexibility with our structure, and as always, I'd love to hear your feedback if there are ways we can make things better? You know where to find me: shall@vitamintalent.com or 323 475 7374. Thanks for the review!

6. 5.0
    Current Employee

Business Dev

Feb 17, 2016 - Director, Business Development in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexible, Great Benefits, Amazing Support, Perfect place to have a career, Continued Learning, NON MICROMANAGING, Growth Potential, Loyalty, Stress Free, Networking growth

Cons

None that I can thinks of

4 people found this review helpful

President

Thank you so much for taking the time to share your experience! I'm glad you enjoy working here, though I must say, the one thing we're unlikely to do is NOT change ;) With your help and the help of our customers, we'll keep making changes - ones you hopefully reap the benefits of!! Thanks again for your response, and if you have any suggestions along the way, I'm all ears (and eyes): 323 475 7374 or shall@vitamintalent.com.

7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Best place I've ever worked.

Dec 21, 2015 - Director, Business Development in Dallas, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people here are unbelievable. Culture is great. Management's enthusiasm and energy is refreshing! Everyone has such a great attitude and is available to help at the drop of a dime. I'm able to reach out to anyone and everyone in the company at anytime for help. I have the freedom to work my own book of business without having someone telling me how to create and maintain my relationships. All ears are open to new and fresh ideas and we are pushed to try new things. It's also nice to know that every time you have a small or big victory, it is recognized (I don't know even know how they find these things out). Company has great benefits and the best part of going to work everyday is knowing that VT truly cares about their clients and talent.

Cons

At the beginning, I felt that I was limited on resources for getting trained and ramped up - but soon after, I realized that all tools and resources were provided to me to learn at my own pace. You're somewhat drinking from the firehose at the beginning, but you'll realize that its just a downpour of unlimited resources at your disposal to get you up to speed.

4 people found this review helpful

President

This is Susie Hall, president of Vitamin T - THANK YOU for sharing your experience! I'm super excited that you're having a great experience and enjoy the same things I do here: The People! You'll be pleased to know we're working on both new hire training and career planning, and I'd love to hear your ideas, if you don't mind? Please contact me at 323 475 7374 or shall@vitamintalent.com. Thanks again!

8. 5.0
    Current Employee

Hands down one of the best companies to work for!

Sep 11, 2015 - Director of Business Development
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company truly cares about your well being and is very adamant about not over working employees, which is a rarity in staffing. The metrics are beyond attainable and software and technology is always updated and user friendly. Pay is good and benefits are even better!

Cons

I can't really think of a company flaw, I've seen management flaws, but as a whole the company is run seamlessly. You definitely won't last though if you don't give it 100% though, and it takes a certain type to do that on a regular basis.

9 people found this review helpful

President

Really helpful feedback. I'd love to better understand how I can be involved with local teams in a way that is valued by everyone involved. If you're open to talking about that, please let me know - I really enjoy interacting with our entire organization, so I'm sure we can figure out a better way. Thank you! Susie shall@vitamintalent.com 323 475 7374

9. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Director of Business Development

Sep 11, 2015 - Director of Business Development
    Business Outlook

Pros

This company is innovative and solves real business problems. I love working here because I truly believe Vitamin T has the best solutions when our clients are looking to hire creatives. The company structure is flat. I am able to communicate directly with top levels (President or VPs) whenever I need to. I also truly believe the company values what I bring to the table and that they have my best interest in mind.

Cons

Since the company is so spread out it can be difficult to move up in the company unless you are willing to move.

6 people found this review helpful

President

I love that you feel this way about our company! I also am a believer - we provide the best solutions because we have the best people (our staff and talent!) providing those solutions :) As for upward mobility, yes, we're local by nature and very flat so leadership opportunities are defined by geographies, but my hope is that we can find cool opportunities for everyone. I'm happy to talk to you and/or your manager about ways we can keep you challenged so you STAY HERE another 8+ years! Thank you for the review! Susie Hall shall@vitamintalent.com 323 475 7374

10. 5.0

Director, Business Development

Jul 21, 2015 - Director, Business Development in Astoria, NY
    Business Outlook

Pros

Team-oriented environment, fantastic ability to assert your sales and leadership skills, extremely helpful and caring upper management, great training and ramp up time. Work Hard Play Hard environment Over all push via management is to grow which benefits each team member Values work-life balance

Cons

Like any Staffing Agency there are daily highs and lows but there is always an immense amount of team support!

9 people found this review helpful

President

Thanks a ton for sharing this! I know every day will not be perfect, but I am thrilled to see how supported you feel here :) After 16 years here at Aquent | Vitamin T, I still feel the very same way. If I can ever do anything to help, just let me know. Susie Hall, President, Vitamin T 323 475 7374 shall@vitamintalent.com

Viewing 1 - 10 of 14 Reviews