Vivint Smart Home Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Vivint Smart Home CEO Todd Pedersen
Todd Pedersen

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "There were lots of perks of working there from concerts and parties that they threw to free lunch with every 8hr shift" (in 103 reviews)

• "Relaxed yet effective work environment" (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • "The majority of the jobs are door to door" (in 44 reviews)

• "no work life balance and unrealistic expectations" (in 21 reviews)

1. "Overall great place to work"

I have been working at Vivint Smart Home full-time

Pros

Engaging projects
    Great work/life balance
    Growing company
    Interesting industry

Cons

Vivint is in the process of maturing and developing established career trajectories for employees. This is getting better but still leaves a lot to be desired.

2. "It is a great company to work for."

Former Employee - Collections Representative in Provo, UT
    Former Employee - Collections Representative in Provo, UT

I worked at Vivint Smart Home full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Free lunch, drinks all day. Great benefits, dr on site.

Cons

Some angry customers make it hard

Advice to Management

Give more vacations

3. "Great company, lacks complete oversight!"

Former Employee - Field Services Manager in Columbus, GA
    Former Employee - Field Services Manager in Columbus, GA

I worked at Vivint Smart Home full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great environment, great work life balance, there pay is above the average for this kind of job. Great people, tall and work environment.

Cons

Don't understand situation at times, as a previous manager I believe that leadership should start at the top, however it only goes by a busy system, who likes you and who don't. I was termed for things beyond my control and deception played aguide role.

Advice to Management

My advice is a lotof people losses they're job if they're not a favorite or well liked no matter the performance you put out, listed to your employees more, understand that performance fluctuates since don't just take buddy advice to terminate someone, please listen and research, I lost a job that I loved and gave 100% day in and out.

Oct 12, 2018 – Recruiter

We value your feedback. This will be sent along to management.

4. "Great Opportunities and Culture!"

I have been working at Vivint Smart Home full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vivint has a great culture of teamwork and innovation. Everyone is incredibly friendly, easy to work with, and brilliant. They do a fantastic job at developing their employees and love promoting from within. Truly a great place to work.

Cons

Upper Management seems to be somewhat disconnected from the day to day business needs. Referrals from upper management also tend to get special treatment, so make sure you work hard so your results stand out!

Oct 8, 2018 – Recruiter

We value the opinions of our current employees. Thanks for adding your input.

5. "Absolutely love the company and everyone at corporate!"

Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - General Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at Vivint Smart Home full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing pay if you work hard!

Cons

There is potential to be working late into the night.

Oct 8, 2018 – Recruiter

Thank you for taking the time to let us know what you think.

6. "Great Experience"

Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Representative in Lindon, UT
    Former Employee - Customer Loyalty Representative in Lindon, UT

I worked at Vivint Smart Home full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good food, great atmosphere, good compensation

Cons

Taxing on the spirit after a while

7. "Turning Cold and Callous"

Current Employee - Leadership
    Current Employee - Leadership

I have been working at Vivint Smart Home full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The area I work acts as one big family, with the occasional small drama that comes with conflicting personalities. Everyone is great at being supportive emotionally and work wise. It can be an extremely stressful job and it helps to think of my coworkers as a family and have them be one. Meeting and befriending all kinds of people is amazing.

Cons

Upper management and how they run the company has started to become extremely cold and callous. We are starting to be managed by fear, the constant itching of no job security is really tough. When I first started at Vivint you could really tell there was a deep care for employees and customers. I had supervisors ask me if it’s the right thing to do when I needed to gain approval rather than micromanaging. It made me want to perform better knowing I had that freedom and with it I was expected to excel and become better. It was so much warmer before. It sort of feels like a physical contrast you would see between a comedic and horror movie walking it to work most of the time. The interaction I get with my reps keeps me from leaving, I don’t want to leave them with the fires. I don’t want to cause someone else to be trained for my position the same way I was trained, and trained again for new implements. It felt like I was actually baptized by fire, there was no forethought, no planning, and no consideration. I was expected to fail and was given no more than what would allow me to fail. This being said there was an extreme weight of disrespect when I first started the position I am currently in.
    With how things are going as of late it feels as if upper management gets bored and decides to play a game to find out how many lives they can destroy by switching teams and leadership around. They are playing switcheroo, and don’t care for lower management.

Advice to Management

Care for your employees. People DO leave because of management and the way a company is moving. Actually TRAIN your leadership, so many of them are negative, demotivational, and belligerent. This constant game of fear is growing old, and is not so sure you’ll be able to hold out much longer.
    Final advice, actually listen to the employees. The upper management I work with right now is consistent in their avoidance of taking feedback. It will cause the ultimate collapse.

8. "Hard Work, But You're Rewarded"

Former Employee - Chat Representative in Lindon, UT
    Former Employee - Chat Representative in Lindon, UT

I worked at Vivint Smart Home part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Management truly knows how difficult working with customers really is, because they often end up speaking with escalated customers too. The company makes a real effort to reward its employees. After a hard-worked summer, Vivint gave all their employees in the Lindon and Provo offices tickets to Lagoon! They recently started matching 401k contributions too, so things are getting better as far as benefits go as the company grows in size.

Cons

I have a few cons that I can think of. First of all, a LOT of the sales reps (not all of them) are absolute scumbags and make impossible promises to customers and of course don't follow through with them, which leaves the customer angry and the customer service reps (such as myself) had to deal with the aftermath. This wouldn't be such a problem if the door-to-door sales reps didn't earn a living off straight commission.
    In addition, a lot of the processes for customer service reps have become more intense, which takes a lot of the human interaction out of the calls/chats, and it shows. In addition, the queues/wait times kept getting larger and larger which resulted in more angry customers.
    Lastly, the customers can be extremely relentless at times. It's hard to really want to help someone that wants nothing but to argue. You get at LEAST one of these people per day.

Advice to Management

Keep looking for ways to speed up processes and reduce wait times, and consider paying door-to-door reps in a different compensation pattern so they don't deceive customers and make a terrible impression for the company.

9. "Know Your Why"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bismarck, ND
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Bismarck, ND

I have been working at Vivint Smart Home part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Potential to make a lot of money

Cons

Gotta put in the work

10. "summer Technician"

Current Employee - Technician in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Technician in New York, NY

I have been working at Vivint Smart Home part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay of you are partnered with a good sales team in a good area.

Cons

On-call lifestyle. Very difficult to enjoy life. You basically work 4 months straight 6 days a week until you get sent home. Hard work, but the money is good.
    The company values it sales reps more than its technicians and it is frustrating due to the fact that you are close with the sales team and get exposed to all the bonuses, and prizes they get.

Advice to Management

Treat all employees more fairly. Try to move away from on-call work style. Hard to do anything, really.

Oct 15, 2018 – Recruiter

It's good to hear from our summer technicians. We value your opinion and appreciate your hard work.

Showing 980 of 1,081 reviews