Vivint Solar Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
David Bywater

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Vivint Solar has a very unique atmosphere (in 40 reviews)

• Great benefits, including a decent free lunch at corporate (in 35 reviews)

Cons
  • Walking around in the heat door to door (in 15 reviews)

• Downsides I see with Vivint Solar is Change is fast here , but I would say no one is quite happy with change (in 19 reviews)

1. "Master Electrician,Licensed"

Current Employee - Master Electrician in Marlborough, CT
    Current Employee - Master Electrician in Marlborough, CT

Pros

1 Good Company Vivint Solar
    2.Standard Quality

Cons

1High Quality
    2 Vivint Solar The best Solar in the Word

Advice to Management

Advance Quality

Jan 31, 2018 – Recruiting Project Manager

We are happy to hear that you are having a great experience here! If there is more you would like to share with us, please email us directly at feedback@vivintsolar.com.

2. "Sales rep"

Current Employee - Rep in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Rep in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Vivint Solar (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome great place to work

Cons

I have no cons at all

Feb 21, 2018 – Recruiting Project Manager

3. "Awesome place to work"

Current Employee - Devops in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Devops in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Vivint Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Awesome culture, work with innovative new tech. Co workers are awesome.

Cons

Health insurance not so good

Feb 21, 2018 – Recruiting Project Manager

We are happy to hear that you are having a great experience here! We agree that we have great benefits for our employees and that we are working hard to add more to the list! Email us directly at... More

4. "CAD Technician"

I worked at Vivint Solar full-time

Pros

I was on a good team, fun work, fun atmosphere

Cons

Monotonous, are just looking for dummies, not much thinking needed

Advice to Management

Incentivize employees, don't treat every dept the same. Train management.

Feb 21, 2018 – Recruiting Project Manager

We are happy to hear that you had a great experience here! If there is more you would like to share with us, please email us directly at feedback@vivintsolar.com.

5. "Vivint Solar as an entry level employee"

I worked at Vivint Solar full-time

Pros

Really clean and professional working environment.

Cons

Poor organizational communication and structure. Upward mobility was not a thing at Vivint Solar.

Feb 21, 2018 – Recruiting Project Manager

We are sad to hear that your experience here did not reach your expectations. At the core of our culture is the focus on the employee experience. If you have any suggestions or would like to share... More

6. "Be sure door knocking is your thing"

Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Sales Manager in San Jose, CA

I worked at Vivint Solar full-time

Pros

Bonuses
    Untaxed pay
    Flexible schedule
    Vacation time
    Commission

Cons

Commission based pay
    No benefits
    Company structure

Advice to Management

Onboarding processor new recruits needs to be better developed
    Videos are great but only go so far

Feb 21, 2018 – Recruiting Project Manager

We appreciate the time you took to leave us feedback. Our training programs are among the best in the solar industry and we do take pride in cultivating our talent. The direct sales model that we... More

7. "Decent Company to work for, Fading company culture"

I worked at Vivint Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people at this company are pleasant and easy going, Flexible job hours, a few cool perks here and there, and nice swag (when available).

Cons

The leadership in the field is terrible, which in my opinion is what's killing the morale. Just because someone has great metrics does not necessarily mean he will be a good leader. This company needs to invest in in-depth management training and not some 3 minute youtube video. Things such as conflict resolution, Time management, and communication etc. Most of the field leadership comes from a construction background where professionalism is not the biggest concern, but when you promote them they have no idea how to conduct themselves in a professional office environment. A lot of the field leadership do not know how to professionally articulate message to their team. "We have to do it because this is what corporate wants" is not an effective way to get you team on board to complete a task, especially when you're asking guys to come in during inclement weather or on holidays. Stop paying so much attention on the metrics and assuming everything in the field is okay. People are suffering, a lot of employees are waiting for the first opportunity they get to leave the company. It should be mandatory that OMs should know the ins and outs of ALL his office staff not just his installers!! How do you expect someone to manage when they have no idea what their employees even do? Once the leaders of the field get it together then you'll see the morale pick back up, until then people who value their self-worth and want to better for their careers will continue to leave.

Advice to Management

Stop creating a facade of growth, giving someone a new title with the same responsibility will only keep them happy for so long, until they realize their job role actually hasn't changed at all. Trim the fat, what's the point of a ROM when you have the DOM role? ROMs are pointless, they are just reaping the benefits of free vacations based off the work everyone else underneath them have done. ROM aren't responsible for the success of their region, the fact that the employees have mouths to feed is what keeps the people working. Have the DOM report to the directors. Value the OAs more, they are the backbone of the office, and do not deserve to be treated like the runt of the litter. Rather than OA incentives to make them feel included, just appreciate them!

Feb 8, 2018 – Recruiting Project Manager

We appreciate you taking the time for leaving us feedback about your experience here; we value the opinions of our current/former employees. We expect a lot from our leadership, and our vetting... More

"PTSD from the default emotions at VSLR: panic and shame"

I worked at Vivint Solar full-time

Pros

Literally all of the pros can be found at any reputable tech company in the valleys- free lunch and drink machines. Free swag? If that's more important than your career?

Cons

Vivint Solar is basically like the Wild Wild West- anything goes, and every man for himself.

Hires: We all know that, at VSLR, who you know has always been more important than how hard you work, but for this exact reason I would never invest a penny of my own money into the company. Hundreds of thousands of dollars are wasted every quarter on pet projects of leadership favorites that are just bad business calls, but are unquestioned to build, preserve or maintain relationships. Not only is this unfair or lacking long-term business foresight, these ‘opportunistic’ roles are often pulled from thin-air (there is not a business need, but one is created anyway) and filled by those who are in no way qualified or prepared to operate successfully which is why many internal programs are not long-lasting. They fail. And it should have been an easy call to avoid but leadership turned a blind eye to the risks. This is frustrating, of course, but what leadership ignores are the many dedicated employees who become involved in these projects which are doomed to fail and it ultimately hurts their reputations, careers, and growth-opportunities. It’s impossible to career-plan at VSLR because all it takes is one guy who is tighter with the C suite to derail your hard work. If you are a student getting through school- VSLR may actually be a great place to gain some hard knock experience, but if you are in the middle of a legitimate career you would be better off at any other point-of-the-mountain tech company.

Management: If one thing stands out to me about my time at VSLR it is the lack of integrity within the very veins of VSLR. From the top down, please hear me, you cannot trust anyone. You cannot trust anyone. They lie, they manipulate, they cheat. Cut and dry- they are not honest in their dealings. The very managers who should protect you will throw you under the bus to make themselves look better, and it will happen often. HR is a joke. A royal joke. So be prepared to stand on your own because no one will stand beside you. I would work with any one of my co-workers at VSLR again, but I would never work with any of my managers again. Each one proved themselves to be a player in the game, out to win for themselves, mostly by dirty means.

Fire Drills: 0-60 for literally every problem, no matter how small. Everything is high-importance. Everything needed to happen yesterday. Everyone needs to panic. It’s always your fault. It’s never their fault. Managers will often throw their teams under the bus to put themselves in a better light, and often employees are written up when they shouldn’t be, but it must make senior leadership think the issues are being solved because it’s a pretty commonplace occurrence. More time is spent disciplining employees unfairly as a direct result of the management’s poor planning than is spent preemptively placing procedures into place which help employees succeed. They’re in a massive game of tail-chasing precisely because they put poor leaders in place who do not have the proper experience, training, or qualifications to do things right. It makes everyone look bad and in turn everyone is frustrated all the time. I feel like I got PTSD from my managers constantly overreacting to every issue because panic and shame were just the default emotions at VLSR.

Advice to Management

None. It's naive to think they will change the way they operate but I do have advice to investors- pull back your money.

Feb 8, 2018 – Recruiting Project Manager

We appreciate you taking the time for leaving us feedback about your experience here; we value the opinions of our current/former employees. Our goal is to cultivate a transparent culture that... More

9. "Operations Manager"

I worked at Vivint Solar full-time

Pros

The pay was above average
    Benefits were good

Cons

The sales team run the company, between the deceit on the sales side and lack of communication company wide it is a free for all. Management is expected to work 7 days a week and answer phone calls or emails 24 hours a day, too late to respond could cost your job.
    Most employees are set up for failure from the start.

Jan 31, 2018 – Recruiting Project Manager

We appreciate you taking the time for leaving us feedback about your experience here. We strongly believe in building a culture of transparency and we value the opinions of our current/former... More

10. "No confidence in the executive leadership"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at Vivint Solar full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people/teams are nice
    Strategy under certain, local directors is good

Cons

Top leaders in the organization do not communicate strategy or plans. This results in very low confidence in where the company is heading. Employees expect to have some kind of plan articulated on basic company strategy, but they communicate nothing. I feel like local management needs basic development, but tries very hard. Some of our higher level leadership seems to either not know what they are doing, or are just afraid of communicating with their employees. It is hard to tell which when you hear nothing from the top.