Vivo (CA) Reviews | Glassdoor

Marilyn Weinstein

1. "IT Anslyst"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Burlingame, CA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Burlingame, CA

Pros

A good companh to work with. They listen and care about what you want, and tried to fulfill.

Cons

There isnt much Negative about this company to comrent

"I love the histrionics!"

Former Employee - Sales in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Vivo (CA) full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I had a great 4-year run. I just love how many people think that work should be all "fun". "What? I have to sell something???" Losers. I kinda wish I stayed, but it was time to go for me. Still, suck it up, angry fired people!

Cons

It's a East Bay company. We are in suburbia. I don't have cons after reading these crazy people rants, because it seems like this is just a site for people trying to be mean. So I got nothing.

Advice to Management

Dont let these losers get to you.

3. "Go in with eyes open and you'll get a lot out of it"

I have been working at Vivo (CA) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are lots of opportunities to contribute, to pave your own way, and to have a lot of fun. You do have to be willing to speak up—loudly— when you have something to say, but I guarantee that if you do, ideas are always welcome, considered, and appreciated, even if they can't be implemented. Marilyn, as CEO, has been the focal point of criticism on this site, but I believe that comes from misunderstanding her incredible intelligence and lawyer's love of debate as judging or dictatorial. In truth, I've never met someone more willing to take feedback, who would rather you bring 20 ideas to her that probably won't work vs. not coming up with any ideas, or so willing to mentor anyone who truly shows the desire to learn. I just don't think people believe her when she says those things, but she really, really, does.

Cons

The environment is intense, even a bit mercurial—fast paced and serious to a fault sometimes and then hysterically wacky and crazy fun at others. After reading other reviews and working here for a while, my belief is that people coming in don't truly understand the culture. I get it. Its a unique culture. But Vivo is always totally honest about the culture and who they are. I think what surprises new hires is that what they are told in the interviews about the expectations of the culture are, in fact, true. They mean it when they say "If you work here, you need to understand the culture and be willing to work with it. If you don't like that, this is probably not the place for you."

Advice to Management

Keep getting better at articulating the culture early and often. Work to attract people that "get" you and can succeed in your environment.

5. "Company is a joke"

Pros

There are no pros for this company.

Cons

They are not professional at all. Politics inside office is a mess. When problem arise they lay blame on each other and point fingers..

Advice to Management

Shut the business down.

"A seemingly great opportunity that turned in to a nightmare…"

Former Employee - Brand/Marketing in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Brand/Marketing in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Vivo (CA) full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most of the employees are very helpful and polite.
    Benefits are pretty good.

Cons

Unfortunately I don't like giving bad reviews but I think this warranted one because the other reviews don't go much in detail.

- Very very bad communication
    - Terrible training (I basically trained myself)
    - Very Disorganized
    - Just overall unprofessional

The CEO Marilyn is impossible to get along with. I am honestly convinced she likes firing people. Senior management (if you want to call them that) and the CEO Marilyn, were on completely different pages. I would get instructions from my manager and then Marilyn would give me completely opposite instructions.... seriously?

Unfortunately this is a case were the entire company literally revolves around the CEO and she is very hard to get along with and from my experience, very combative, hard to please, extremely impatient, and oddly cliquey with other women in the office. She is the perfect example of what a Boss is NOT a Leader. A leader inspires, coaches, and generates enthusiasm. The CEO Marilyn inspires fear in the office, depends on authority, and likes to places blame on people. This harbors an extremely toxic atmosphere where some employees fear for their job on a daily basis. There is super high turn over. If your hired don't expect to be there very long and build a career. Even the CEO will tell you this.

Advice to Management

Figure out what you really want from your Branding and Marketing role. Stop wasting people’s time by hiring and firing like its musical chairs. Invest in those people you hire. Adopt a project management system and give better, more clear instructions. Set clear expectations, detailed job responsibilities and for god sake stop sending combative e-mails that CC other employees when you disagree with something (are we in middle school?). Stop playing favorites and hiring people who are friends and treating people differently in the office. Pay attention to these reviews. There is a reason why you guys keep getting bad reviews.

"Extremely unprofessional place to work"

I have been working at Vivo (CA) full-time

Pros

A place to work if you don't have much experience or don't care much about where you're at in your career

Cons

Bad management and only keeps getting worse. There's constant turnover and can't keep people that should be good. Company is trying too hard to be cool and it's very unprofessional

Advice to Management

Don't try to compare with high end clothing store when more like a fast food place. Make it work with the good ones that are hired and already in the company instead of being so caught up in yourself

8. "Toxic!!! Avoid at all costs!!!!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pleasanton, CA

I have been working at Vivo (CA) full-time

Pros

1. Unfortunately, there is none that I can think of.

Cons

The office culture is extremely toxic. No leadership, poor communication, very unengaging. Ridiculous expectations with very poor, unprofessional training. The interview said one thing about the job itself, then once put in the field it was completely different. Things dont get communicated properly then once you make a mistake management gets upset. The opportunities for growth/advancement are very slim to none and perfection is expected at all times. Discussions about raises and promotions are non-existent. No amount of pay or benefits could persuade me to work for this company ever again. I would not recommend this company to anyone.

Advice to Management

Need to communicate better and connect with employees regularly instead of throwing them out to the wolves and stop playing favorites!

"Always a pleasure to enjoy going to work..."

I have been working at Vivo (CA) part-time

Pros

Fantastic coworkers who are not only hard working and intelligent but I would say it's a blast being around everyone. They are not only helpful but quite a fun bunch. i also enjoy working for a woman owned company, very refreshing.

Cons

Would love to be closer to the HQ office (currently in satellite office).

10. "Great Company, Great People, Great Learning Experience!"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Vivo (CA) full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The Ceo is fun and witty. Coworkers are super friendly and reliable. Higher staff are always open to suggestions and will teach you what you don't know. They paid for my class so that I could learn more about marketing to improve my career and help our company visually. I was given fun projects to keep me on my toes so that I was never bored. They also had great benefits.

Cons

Unfortunately, the 45 minute commute to work was the only reason I left.

"Worst place I've ever worked!"

I worked at Vivo (CA) full-time

Pros

It was not a good experience for me.

Cons

Very high- way too high- internal staff turnover, which is the opposite of what a good small company should have. The CEO is unable to retain any management level employees for any significant length of time. My experience there was, there was no stability, loyalty or recognition of a job well done over the long term. The CEO seems fun and witty at first, so can recruit people to join, but once you get in there, it's not what you expect, so unless they have no other options, people leave. She seems like the type of person who works on her own because she was unable to fit in a normal company where she'd have to interact with others on or above her level. Working at Vivo made me feel terrible, and as soon as I left, I obtained a new position where I was valued for my contributions, just as with my prior positions. Thank goodness!

Advice to Management

There is no useful advice to management because the company is built around Marilyn and her personality, and she is not a reliable person to work for long term. My advice is only to potential employees- don't put your career eggs in this basket!!