Vodafone Hutchison Australia Reviews | Glassdoor

2.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

Pros
Cons
  • Problems with product, lack of bundling options, lack of understanding from UK head office of perceived product issues (in 7 reviews)

• Relaxing environment and good work life balance (in 4 reviews)

1. "Great place to learn and develop. Lots of training and good work environment."

I worked at Vodafone Hutchison Australia full-time

Pros

Prior to budget cuts: lots of training, therefore improving and developing your existing skill set, ability to provide feedback from bottom up and real results seen, company looking to progress and open to feedback. Head office team are hardworking and dedicated.

Cons

Progression at store level largely dependent on who you know. Lots of relationships between different levels of management resulting in progression based on who you're dating or who your best friend is in the company. Double standard behavior from management and upper management. Doubt Head Office aware of this situation. Much hard work goes unappreciated and constant calls for help ignored from management.Either oblivious, not suited for management, too young and inexperienced to make good decisions or easier to ignore situation. High performers go unnoticed and when they finally leave, it comes as a shock to upper management.

Advice to Management

Don't turn a blind eye to what's going on in your company. Your good people are getting fed up and walking out the door and becoming assets at other companies. In the meantime, management masks their leaving with mild excuses and justification when the real issue is there's a line to be drawn for how far one will push themselves without reward and appreciation until they finally decide enough is enough and leave.
    Much time and money is spent on keeping customers happy (and rightly so) due to network issues that so much more is expected from your store staff who take the heat but then, they receive no thanks and no monetary or non-monetary rewards. Your customers get better treated than your staff that deal with your angry customers.
    There is a lot of good to this company too but unfortunately, the bad outweighs the good as it results in greater damage.
    Truly hope the company will be in a upward climb resulting from positive changes.

2. "great place to start for a grad"

I have been working at Vodafone Hutchison Australia full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great selection of Tool of trade mobile devices and unlimited usage

Cons

getting a pay rise is very hard

3. "A good place for team work"

Pros

My team was a great team that looked out for each other and worked together towards the store's goals

Cons

As the company is competing against others like Optus and Telstra, there is large focus on sales which for some can be a lot of pressure

5. ""Comforting but Uninspiring""

Current Employee - Change Analyst in North Sydney (Australia)
    Current Employee - Change Analyst in North Sydney (Australia)

I have been working at Vodafone Hutchison Australia full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people
    Positive work-life balance
    GMs and Execs are supportive and approachable

Cons

Few opportunities to progress
    Zero training and development opportunities
    Average salary

6. "Vodafone"

Pros

The pay is great! Lots of incentives.

Cons

Bad management and not very transparent.

Advice to Management

Needs to be more empathetic

"Good place to work if you can sell and follow policy"

Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Brisbane (Australia)
    Current Employee - Sales Consultant in Brisbane (Australia)

I have been working at Vodafone Hutchison Australia part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great hourly rate ($23/hr with new upcoming enterprise agreement to go up a few dollars), plus generous commission! Free work sim and a phone. Friends and family discounts.

A positive and supportive team, but this depends on your manager. Your training and development also depends on your manager and whether they care about you. I have greatly developed my people and sales skills while in my role here.

Job security is present in the role (to an extent) - you need to be aware of what is wrong and what is right, I have seen many people encouraged to resign or fired.

I am not looking to develop my career at Vodafone, but there are so many opportunities for career development for those wishing to move to a management role.

The company is also dependable with little processes like pay days (only ever been slightly underpaid twice, but it has always been fixed the next pay round), communication for any changes of policy, annual leave access, maternity leave etc. This may be something many take for granted, but the company is very efficient in these little HR processes.

Cons

KPI's (but that is with all sales jobs). Sometimes they are hard to reach, particularly in slow months. However, I have often seen the company readjust the targets during or after the month to allow it to be achievable. Rude customers. If you have a bad manager, it can really run down your attitude at work.

I have found if you are performing well, management's attitude towards you is good, but if you are underperforming one month, there is a somewhat negative change in their attitude towards you. As long as you can sell, you will have a lot more job security.

Advice to Management

Invest more in training your retail management team. Management need to be held more accountable to their contributions in store - sick of seeing managers disappear for 30 minutes every few hours and slacking off. Be more generous in raises for loyal employees.

8. "Good company to work for"

I worked at Vodafone Hutchison Australia full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to try new things

Cons

fast pace and forever changing directions

"Slow to move, ineffective and conservative"

I have been working at Vodafone Hutchison Australia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work, great new Sydney offices, salaries are good and organisation is diverse.

Cons

Short sighted, resistant to pressure testing, traditional, franchise model and not digital

Advice to Management

Invest more in digital and e-commerce, bit the bullet!

10. "Good place to work"

Pros

Good working culture, with lots of fun incentives.
    People are friendly. Work is easy and generally low responsibility for part timer workers.

Cons

Sometimes staff can be unethical in sales, however this can be an issue in all sales roles with KPIs required to be reached.

"Awful place to work"

Former Employee - Human Resources in Sydney (Australia)
    Former Employee - Human Resources in Sydney (Australia)

I worked at Vodafone Hutchison Australia full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People in lower levels are nice to work with.

Cons

I worked in HR and I can tell you first hand this is NOT a company you want to work for. I felt I was forced to treat people in a way that I shouldn't have. I felt it may have been considered illegal. The top level of management in every division are simply greedy and do not care about anyone but themselves. I also felt as a woman (with no senior leaders that are email) that it is a big boys club. So if you are female, I would especially express to you my concerns working in this type of company. I write this review because I feel very bad about how I was forced to treat people. I am sorry for this. I want to try and prevent anyone else from being hurt emotionally or psychologically.

Advice to Management

Not that they would listen to me because I am female. However I ask you to look inside yourselves. If your mother, daughter, sister were treated the way you treat employees here, how would you feel? And don't think about the token female or person you gave an award to. Think about the majority of people and how you have treated them. How would you feel if you were treated this way yourself? Is money and power worth the price of treating people so badly?