Vodafone Reviews in Newbury, England | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vodafone CEO Vittorio A. Colao
Vittorio A. Colao

Cons

1. "Excellent to work for"

Current Employee - Talent in Newbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Talent in Newbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Vodafone full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Benefits package is very good, culture is healthy and you are positively encouraged to do well location works for me, people are mostly nice, good salary

Cons

Internal processes need work to make the employee experience top notch. Could do with better offers for employees to make use of the network better. Systems can be a bit cranky.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, listen to employee and act up son feedback more. Provide more opportunities for employees to use network and feel what it's like to be a Vodafone customer.

2. "Operations Manager"

Current Employee - Field Service Manager in Newbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Field Service Manager in Newbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Vodafone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good flexible working options. Good pensions and benefits. Gyms in key offices and comfortable relaxed working environment.

Cons

As you would expect with technology fast moving so when it needs to be delivered it is.

3. "Regional Sales Manager"

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Newbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager in Newbury, England (UK)

I worked at Vodafone full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vodafone is a great company to work for in many ways. Salary and benefits in Sales role are very good. Plenty of opportunity for training and personal development if you want it. Equal opportunities for women and lots of opportunities to progress your career for those who deliver results and are self motivated and go looking.

Cons

Large organisation with wide range of products and services to sell which would be difficult for anyone entering with no previous Telecoms experience. Still a little disjointed internally due to historical take-overs and buy-outs where systems are not aligned, so this can add unnecessary admin/processes internally.

Advice to Management

You will be surprised at the lack of support for your sales teams internally in such a large professional organisation. Back-Office support really lets them down and makes the sales role alot harder than it needs to be. Lots of pre-sales support but again its finding them that can be difficult... Many different specialists so in a complex sale you can end up with lots of different people involved who only have knowledge of their 10% of the sale.

5. "project manager"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Newbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Newbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Vodafone full-time

Pros

Vodafone is a great place to work

Cons

there are no cons for Vodafone

Advice to Management

carry on doing what you are doing

6. "Review Title"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England (UK)

Pros

Good, well known brand. Lots of potential for opportunities. Not too corporate. Pleasant work environment and colleges in general

Cons

You are a small cog in a big machine. Lots of duplication across the business. Too much bureaucracy and not very agile

7. "Good People, Limited Growth"

Current Employee - Service Manager in Newbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Service Manager in Newbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Vodafone full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible working
    Good people who do help each other
    Pay is reasonable
    Brand is valued and well known

Cons

Poor training and development
    Performance is measured on a bell curve
    People are always being made redundant and the benefits are dwindling away
    Promotion opportunities internally are very limited and hard to come by

Advice to Management

Invest more in the good people you already have

8. "Opportunities aplenty, but too corporate"

Former Employee - Graduate Scheme in Newbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Graduate Scheme in Newbury, England (UK)

I worked at Vodafone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The opportunities for career progression are ample. I joined on the graduate programme in 2012 and they invested a lot in talent. Varied roles available.

Cons

Too corporate - The vast majority of people tend to act the same. As with most big companies, taking a concept to market takes a lot of time, there is too much red tape. There are a lot of employees who have a 'no, not possible' attitude.

Advice to Management

Think about stripping down governance and doing things with more speed. How can the company be more innovative and really outperform the other telcos.

"Vodafone Global"

Current Employee - Global Service Manager in Newbury, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Global Service Manager in Newbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Vodafone full-time

Pros

Working within the Global part of the organisation is great if you looking for a role that allows you to interact with other countries. This allows you to get an understanding of global business cultures and behaviours
    Vodafone does have a good home working policy.
    Vodafone is now starting to invest more money into training so could be great if you are looking to enhance your skills

Cons

Vodafone is a very hierarchical organisation, so if you are looking to be high flyer... you will have a long wait.
    Vodafone is process heavy and still has some work to do to get a more seamless way of working. Getting things done can be very slow
    Reward and recognition can be very limited in some parts of the organisation.

10. "Very interesting place to work"

Current Contractor - Consultant in Newbury, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Consultant in Newbury, England (UK)

I have been working at Vodafone as a contractor

Pros

I'm working with some of the smartest people I've ever worked with. Compared to a lot of other places I have worked there's surprisingly little upfront politics, there's a bit that happens behind closed doors but unless you're in the right (wrong) place at the wrong time, you don't get to see much of it.
    There has been a big turnaround recently, and compare to what it was like, people are bit more organised now - there is some decent leadership (as in a few people), but a long way to go there - but it feels like its going in the right direction.

Cons

Stop laying good staff off!!! We have the quarterly report sent to us, and if there's a revenue decline, you know that heads are going to be on the chopping block. That happened last week.

People are seriously worried about their jobs all the time - being permanent just means you are paid less than a contractor, with little to no more job security. That really drains a lot of staff. We recently won P3, and the talk in the office was that if we could do it with X number of staff, how many people are management going to chop and see if we can do it again. Heard that across multiple departments and teams.

Not very smart. Look after your staff, they keep the place alive.

Advice to Management

Don't replace experience with grads because it saves money. We're not seeing too much of it yet, but from experience - and I have seen a lot of it overseas - it's disastrous.

Dont duplicate projects - we all hate it when we find what we're doing is duplicated somewhere else - coordination at a senior level, and the right people to facilitate this cannot be overstated.

"Good, just big and political"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newbury, England (UK)

I worked at Vodafone full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary and wider benefits good, good culture generally (does vary of course over scale of business), attracts good staff/people.

Cons

Getting really bureaucratic in places. VERY political.

Showing 223 of 2,752 reviews