Vogel Consulting Reviews | Glassdoor

Vogel Consulting Reviews

2.3
Rhona E. Vogel, CPA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"No better or worse than other employers"

Pros

Challenging work and interesting clients.

Cons

Based on my experience at Vogel there is some truth in many of the negative comments posted here. And there is a lot of exaggeration. I’ve experienced most of these negatives at former employers. Vogel isn’t any better or any worse.

One of the most significant negatives to working at Vogel was addressed a few years ago and there was a noticeable change in the atmosphere. There were still unhappy employees but no employer can ever make everyone happy.

High turnover. Some people moved on to better positions, others couldn’t stand the place and people, for others it just wasn’t a good fit and whether they quit or were fired it was probably the best decision for the individual. And then there were some who had a much higher opinion of themselves than was deserved and couldn’t accept that their poor performance and attitude were the reason they were let go.

Advice to Management

The owner needs to let go of how things were done 30 to 40 years ago. Times have changed and you need to adapt.

Advice to at least one former employee who has left multiple comments in the past few years: it’s time to let it go and move on with your life.

Advice to job seekers: Expect to have to think on your own. Don't lie in an interview just to get a job, and don't take the job if you want a job where you don't have to think.

"A Candid Look Inside Vogel"

I worked at Vogel Consulting full-time

Pros

Vogel has perfected its presentation of the company image during the recruitment process. The firm portrays itself as offering a unique career opportunity with a work environment that is a better alternative than that of a traditional public accounting firm. Management uses the fact that its client base and service offerings differ from traditional public accounting to convince candidates that it doesn’t operate like a stereotypical firm even though it does.

Cons

On the surface, it appears that the firm has trouble hiring competent staff. However, deeper analysis reveals that the underlying issue is a lack of leadership and supervisory skills on the part of management. Vogel is a firm with mediocre technical abilities and people management skills that are as bad as it gets in the professional services industry.

Advice to Management

Take ownership of your projects. Develop leadership and people management skills. Be proactive when you anticipate problems instead of just lamenting afterwards. Don’t delegate new employee development to staff. Don’t subject your employees to the wrath of someone who is bitter about the consequences of past legal transgressions.

3. "Great Job"

I have been working at Vogel Consulting full-time

Pros

There is a variety of projects to work on. You receive timely feed back on your projects which you should take at face value and not personally to improve your own performance.

Cons

Only thing I do not like is the long learning curve. Each project can have its own special steps for the different clientele.

Advice to Management

Consider streaming training to shorten the learning curve

"Whether you are considering a senior, staff or admin job, RUN AWAY as fast as possible!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

I worked at Vogel Consulting full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The snacks. Fair pay. That’s it!

Cons

The morale is awful. Having worked in other office environments, I would rate the company’s morale at a 2 out of 10. I could say more, but what’s the point? Another reviewer perfectly captured my view of what this company’s problem is, so I’ll just repeat it word-for-word:

“Morale among employees is dismal. Worse, management does not seem to care about the morale issue and only a couple managers even acknowledge that a morale issue exists. Low morale seems to stem from the poor treatment of employees, vague and sometimes antagonistic communications from management, and extremely high staff turnover.

Management is structured so that employees have multiple bosses/directors, thus creating power struggles between directors. This undermines the mentoring relationship that managers and their direct staff should have.”

Advice to Management

Since the culture/morale issue stems from the top, this place cannot be fixed because that would require the owner and 3 directors to fundamentally change themselves into nicer people. It’s the classic case of a toxic “tone at the top” ruining an organization. However, what’s even worse is the fact that this “tone at the top” will never go away because the sole owner-operator is obviously not going to “fire” herself. It’s really a shame because this niche company could have provided so many fulfilling careers to so many people.

I feel like such an idiot for not having first checked Glassdoor.com before working there. Even though most people tend to give negative reviews over positive reviews, the reviews posted so far are pretty devastating. Trust me, there’s a reason for the negative reviews. You have the power to fire this employer by not applying for a job in the first place.

5. "I shouldn't have stayed as long as I did."

I worked at Vogel Consulting full-time

Pros

Free soda and snacks. Four weeks of vacation (earned from overtime during tax season) but limited as to when you can take it. Some of the managers actually care about employees, but are afraid of standing up to the owner to make things better.

Cons

Operates like a public accounting firm - churn and burn. Doesn't care about employee morale at all and won't spend any money to make things better (like hire qualified managers). Expects a lot from employees but doesn't want to give much in return. The 401k and salaries are a joke considering the fact it's supposed to be an investment firm. No opportunity for bonus at the lower level and very minimal benefits.

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

Pros

The challenges presented to me gave me an opportunity for growth. The client base is extraordinary and was enjoyable to work with.

Cons

Senior management is demeaning to junior management, staff, and administrative staff. The work environment is very dysfunctional. I have worked in dysfunctional work enviroments before but this dysfunction tends to be from the top down not just an isolated case. The dysfunction is so great that many of the former employees have a "support" group that was formed after they left.

Advice to Management

Seriously look at the management style of senior management. There is something wrong and needs to be fixed.

"Worst Place to Work!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

Pros

The only positive thing I can say about Vogel is that it is a job in this tuff market

Cons

Managers are the worst. They are not interested in anything anyone has to say to improve the work climate nor do they care what you may have going on. Directors will wait till the last minute to give those they surpervise the work that needs to be completed by the end of that day. The directors then leave and are not interested in how late their subordinates have to stay.
    BAD PLACE TO WORK!!!

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with respect. Treat them as you expect them to treat you!!!!

"My Ideal Job"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

Pros

Vogel is a small environment that offers challenging and exciting opportunities for all employees. I have learned more and am responsible for more than I ever thought possible because of the owners willingness to share her knowledge and experiences with me.

Cons

Because of the high degree of client service required, there are times when the demands of the job may interfer with life balance. However, life balance is viewed as a two way street and there is always give and take going both ways.

"Learning Opportunities Don’t Outweigh the Broke Culture - Look Elsewhere"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Brookfield, WI

Pros

Employees have the opportunity to learn new skills and get exposure to a variety of tasks/disciplines starting on day one. I believe that I improved my technical abilities during my time at the company.

Cons

Advice to Management

The culture needs a complete overhaul if you want to attract and retain good people. Motivate people in a positive way; threats of job loss do not motivate people to do great work. Communicate openly and honestly with staff to build trust.

"This website is a joke"

Pros

It is clearly just a place for former (most likely terminated) employees to make immature and ridiculous complaints.

As a current and non-biased staff member, I would like to share that I very much enjoy my job at Vogel. I am challenged daily which helps me grow, I enjoy my coworkers, and management is always very flexible and understanding with any time off requests. I truly feel appreciated and that there is a place for me here as the company continues to grow.

Cons

Can be demanding at times, but I didn't decide to work at an accounting firm thinking I would only be working 40 hours a week.