Vokal Reviews

3.9
Vokal CEO Reid Lappin
Reid Lappin
  1. COVID-19

"Great place to work, benefits, and people"

Current Employee - Web Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Vokal full-time for less than a year

Pros

- At Vokal you're always pushed to be hyper competent and ever learning - Great benefits with tech stipends and good healthcare - Office is in a great location, and their HR/Receptionist has really made it have a cozey vibe with great kitchen amenities and snacks - Good equipment and they'll provide you with everything you need - They push you to take the greatest from each client and project you work on to bring to the next one, not only leveling up your skills and competency but also each client - Amazing transparency from leadership and they are always open to tough questions that they won't dodge

Cons

- Not a great place if you're not very motivated or flexible in what web technologies you want to learn. You learn what is the best tool for the client, not what is the shiniest and brightest thing.

Continue reading
  2. "Great for experience"

Current Employee - Web/Graphic Designer in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Vokal full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great staff. Flexible. Great pay.

Cons

More coffee more coffee more coffee

"Fun, flexible environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Vokal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great atmosphere without any of the toxic trappings of other tech consultancies. Strong spirit of collaboration and development. Lots of talent, but no ego problems. Super work-life balance.

Cons

Mentorship and supervision is a bit ad hoc, but it’s moving in a good direction.

"Great people, no direction"

I worked at Vokal full-time for more than a year

Pros

You'll work with very talented and helpful people. If you listen and contribute you'll get something out of the experience

Cons

Leadership swings between no direction and pulling in all directions. No real plan, process or identity. Don't listen enough to people who have more experience. Salaries are under market.

"I rejoined the team after big improvements to the company"

Current Employee - Director of Product in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Vokal full-time for less than a year

Pros

I worked full-time at Vokal a number of years ago during a high growth phase. Frankly, the company grew too fast and company culture suffered. The management team has since made important changes to the team, process, and culture. Vokal is leaner now and well positioned to grow again - but in a smarter way. After becoming convinced that Vokal made the changes I thought were needed, I took a position on the leadership team to help usher in the next phase of Vokal's growth. Vokal is a design focused digital product agency with a ton of great clients. If you want to be exposed to a variety of business, design, and technical challenges this is a great place to do that. We're tight knit, we value collaboration and strive to elevate our teammates. We're looking for the kind of people who lean into challenges instead of simply checking in at work.

Cons

We're still a scrappy startup - one with a proven business model. If you're interested in the trappings of a massive company, you may want to look elsewhere. Our work environment is very fast paced and can be demanding.

Continue reading
  6. "Smart and talented group of people that are a pleasure to work with"

5.0

I have been working at Vokal full-time

Pros

Great developers Great designers A few new directors bringing a new and exciting mentality to Vokal Great benefits Opportunity to immediately contribute Great mentorship opportunities Ability to own your work Ability to create something with incredibly bright, kind, and talented people

Cons

Fast paced agency life can be demanding at times Scrappy at times

"Be Wary of Job Security"

2.0
    Former Employee - Engineer

I worked at Vokal full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Swanky office with video games and vr headset - lots of boozy events and free food - above-average salary and benefits package

Cons

- over half of their workforce work in embedded teams so day-to-day the office is almost empty - engineers are sometimes asked to take on multiple projects, even if it sometimes means being in two places at once. - at least twice on 18-month intervals, Vokal has staffed-up and then let go a sizable portion of people in their employ, especially folks in non-technical roles - While I worked there in a single day 8 people were let go, half of whom were women (yikes) - they appear to be staffing up again so I thought I'd put the word out there - they do not hire for the long term in my experience.

Vokal Response

March 8, 2019CEO

First off, thank you for your time at Vokal. Everyone that has worked here has contributed towards building a business to employ great people. Like any company we have made mistakes but we have always stayed committed to the long term picture and investing in smart and genuine team members to do more of what we love doing, designing and building insanely great experiences. We have learned from our mistakes, we have strong leadership throughout the team and we are excited about the future!

"Stay away"

1.0

I worked at Vokal full-time

Pros

Illusion of culture; belief that my salary wouldn't put me at the top of the list to be laid off

Cons

Revolving door for contractors. CEO has a silver tongue for convincing full time folks to stay. Culture within the company is just plain weird. Other agencies in the Chicago area will openly refer competing firms. None will refer Vokal. Expect that you are sold with a skillset you don't have. You will be setup for failure.

Vokal Response

March 8, 2019CEO

I am sorry for your negative outlook and overall negative position on an extremely talented team. Our team has created a family like culture and we are dedicated to building something great together. I can certainly take the criticism if you did not agree with where we are trying to take the company but it's unprofessional to label a company culture "weird". I wish you the best with your career and if you have productive feedback, I'd love to connect personally to learn and grow.

9. "Love working at Vokal"

Current Employee - Quality Assurance Engineer

I have been working at Vokal full-time for more than a year

Pros

- Competitive compensation including benefits - Collaborative and open environment - Promotes and rewards self growth - People are like family to me

Cons

- Working for clients, so there are rare occasions where the work or people aren't ideal

10. "Pretty Decent Digital Agency"

4.0

I worked at Vokal full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great people and culture! Lots of booze in the break room

Cons

Like a lot of start ups, there can be a high degree of turbulence and turnover. I don't think the work was all that great.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 29 English Reviews