Volant Trading Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated April 17, 2019

3.8
Brian Donnelly

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Great firm with good people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Volant Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Entrepreneurial and friendly colleagues. Casual environment, modern office with access to snacks and beverages throughout the day. Benefits are good and management is open to feedback and ideas.

Cons

The firm scaled pretty quickly so there's some catching-up from a process and policy standpoint, but otherwise, no complaints.

"bad management and bad culture"

I worked at Volant Trading full-time

Pros

The hours aren't too long.

Cons

Joining Volant was a terrible career move for me. It was nothing like I expected and as previously mentioned by someone a toxic culture. There is constant infighting, incompetent management, old and fragile technology, and a revolving door of people leaving. I expected to learn, grow and be exposed to "cutting edge" technology. It is nothing like this.

Recently there was a mass layoff which speaks to how things are going. It is hard to see how volant can compete with all the firms that have better management, technology and plan.

Advice to Management

It is hard to say since management doesn't listen to employees. It is a group of partners that have been around a long time who caused all of the problems and continue to make all of the decisions.

"major problems here with mass layoffs"

I have been working at Volant Trading full-time

Pros

Now that so many people quit in the past year and the firm fired >20% of the staff it will not be so crowded in the kitchen.

Cons

I am very fed up with the lies and deception from the management. For too long I sat around listening to the management make promises and not deliver. I sat by as management posted fake reviews here of volant that nobody inside the firm actually believes. I didn't say anything when the management bad mouthed former employees. I wanted this to be a career but it simply never was.

The management is completely incompetent and unable to run a trading company.

The technology team is in disarray and the person brought in from outside the industry to run it is not respected and shouldn't be in this position at a trading company. Not knowing trading is a big and obvious weakness.

There have been so many people quitting the firm that it was a warning sign. Then last week they fired >20% of the firm. Typical for how this firm is run, it was sloppy and unorganized.

Advice to Management

It's too late but you should have brought in competent senior people and retained the talent. Not lying to employees would have also been nice.

"Good look into the HFT world"

I worked at Volant Trading full-time

Pros

Very transparent about their product coverage, strategies, and even PnL. There's complete trust and investment in including the interns as part of the business and not just temp workers.

Everyone on both the tech and trading teams will happily answer your questions and discuss things with you.

The CEO personally chatted with us to discuss his vision for the business and asked us for our thoughts as well. He's a very straightforward dude and some of the comments on here misrepresent him.

Cons

Training and education was really disorganized at points, pacing was all over the place.

Research infrastructure was unreliable, which is unacceptable for how important it is.

Advice to Management

Structure the internship a little more rigorously,

"clueless management and dysfunctional organization"

I have been working at Volant Trading full-time

Pros

kind of new office space

Cons

Strong sense of paranoia and major power fights across the company. Many senior people have quit this year and nobody really knows why and it is not allowed to be talked about.

General distrust of the CEO and management (despite what the company planted reviews say). Too many secret meetings leads to suspicion about what people are plotting. They tell us not to write on Glassdoor and that things are going to be better but things have gotten worse and nothing changes. Town hall meetings are demotivating and full of BS with nothing of substance or direction.

Software developers are basically sending most of their time doing support and fixing things. The number of crashes and outages is frightening. Yet there is no changes and the same people are making the same bad decisions.

Hard to use as a stepping stone since the reputation of the company is not very good in the industry. I wish I had asked around more before I started. I just don't see this as a good path to learn anything or make good money. People I know at other places seem to be learning more and making more.

Advice to Management

Something is seriously wrong when like 10 of the best people quit in first quarter. People have waited to see changes but none have happened. The company has been around since 2006 so it's not a startup and isn't close to being near the top league of trading firms.

Hiring a guy from outside the industry who knows nothing about trading or the business yet is supposed to run tech team is a terrible idea. Most people see the problem with upper management. It is yes men surrounding a volatile CEO who makes terrible decisions. Without changes at senior levels, hard to see much success here.

"Good firm for the right people"

I worked at Volant Trading full-time

Pros

Heading towards a promising direction
    Meaningful work
    Friendly coworkers who are willing to help out
    Transparent working environment

Cons

Still need work to get different teams on the same page

"Great Firm, Great People!!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Volant Trading full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Volant has created the ideal environment for working hard to achieve great things. The office is beautiful and state-of-the-art with a relaxed atmosphere. Management checks in for input on ideas but does not micromanage, allowing you to be more productive. Coworkers are all friendly and driven. Great benefits, great perks and commensurate compensation. Joining Volant is the best career move I could have made.

Cons

None. We are a well-respected trading firm with top-notch technology that wants to remain as such and lack of performance results in firing.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Excited to be part of the team.

"Great place for the right people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Volant Trading full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

* Fascinating work
    * Work alongside smart people
    * Exceptionally high share of profits paid back to employees
    * Open sharing of ideas
    * Good training: courses and on-the-job training.

Cons

* Like any trading company, ruthless with under-performers.
    * Not ideal for people who need to be spoon-fed their tasks and approaches; you have to start showing initiative and be resilient when you face problems.

Advice to Management

Continue to accelerate investment in new technologies. Don't get too upset about the bitter reviews here from people who didn't work out!

"High Potential, Poor Execution"

I have been working at Volant Trading full-time

Pros

There are some really smart people working here, with plenty of experience in options trading and quant research. There's also a healthy amount of mentoring from senior traders to juniors.

Cons

As mentioned in some of the previous negative reviews, one of the biggest blockers to this company realizing its full potential are the underperforming CTOs. While we do have access to some cutting-edge technology, there are frequent incidents and outages due to various bugs and operational errors, and this falls under the responsibility of the CTOs. In fact, just last week, one of the CTOs pushed out a change that caused headaches for traders the next morning. Also, the trade analysis projects are a mess due to lost data, running out of resources, crashes, etc, so I'm sure they'll need to be re-written sooner or later. Several key employees have recently walked out the door as a result of this already, and unless something drastic changes here, I expect this to continue.

Advice to Management

This company has a huge potential to be very successful, but it's held back by a fragile platform that fails to leverage its technology investment. I know I'm not the only person that is monitoring what the CEO is doing over the next few months to see whether there is a long-term successful future ahead for the company. He's going to have to make some difficult decisions one way or another given that the status quo is clearly not working.

"Great company culture"

I worked at Volant Trading part-time

Pros

- Room for intellectual growth

In short, the CEO of Volant Trading is a caring boss. Brian Donnelly invests his time and effort in each and every employee . He built the company from scratch and he will also take reasonable effort to help build each employee. Mr. Donnelly is also fortunate to have a fantastic leadership team, including his CCO/GC, CTOs, COO, CFO, and CIO. I had the pleasure of working under the CCO/GC, who provided every opportunity for growth available and invested in my success.

Cons

Although the company invests in their employees and values back office operations, there is definitely room for support and growth of the compliance and human relations departments.