Volkswagen Group of America Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
Volkswagen Group of America President and CEO Hinrich J. Woebcken
Hinrich J. Woebcken

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I also have found that this is a work environment that provides its employees a good work life balance (in 21 reviews)

• great company to work for that provides challenging yet rewarding work environment with something new every day (in 24 reviews)

Cons
  • Work life/balance is non existent (in 21 reviews)

• Long Walk, Long Hours, lots of pressure (in 9 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Great Place to Work!"

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America full-time

Pros

VW is a great place to work. I enjoy what I do and feel challenged every day. I also have found that this is a work environment that provides its employees a good work life balance. There are also fun events/activities for employees to participate in.

Benefits/Perks:
    Summer Hours
    Community Service Leave
    Ride/Drive events when new vehicles are launched
    Employee Leave/Purchase Program
    Competitive Benefits/401(k)/Bonus Structure

Cons

Leadership has been very receptive to employee feedback that is given through annual surveys.

Advice to Management

Continue to be open to change.

2. "Positive"

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America full-time

Pros

The brands are fun and people have good personalities.

Cons

A lack of clear career paths.

Advice to Management

develop young talent.

3. "Pretty Good"

Current Employee - Incentives Advocate in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Incentives Advocate in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Culture, Fun Events, 40 Hours/week, good work life balance, 15 PTO days with potential to earn more through quarterly performance

Cons

Should be compensated more, not much opportunity for OT

4. "Specialist"

I worked at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Average salary, large bonus structure

Cons

Corporate culture, lack of opportunity to grow

5. "Dealer Support"

I worked at Volkswagen Group of America full-time

Pros

Great company that goes out of their way to make it an employee-centered environment!

Cons

As with other large companies, there is never a shortage of tasks and projects which can result in overtime depending on your position.

6. "Great Employer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Herndon, VA

I worked at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Best Company with Great benefits

Cons

Improve employee development program and better transfer options for employees

Advice to Management

Better 401k matching please

7. "Quality Assurance Team Member"

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America full-time

Pros

Lots of opportunities to work overtime and earn extra income.

Cons

If you aren't in the Boys Club, you aren't developing or going anywhere.

Advice to Management

Rank employees on a personal KPI system. Know which ones are working hard for you, and which ones aren't. Rotate top managers, not just Assistant Managers.

"would not recommend"

Pros

Cons

Sheer favoritism. Only promoted if the right people like you. Not based on merit. Yes based culture.

Advice to Management

Examine managers who are always eliminating those under them. You'll find it's the manager that needs to be eliminated. There are ethical issues still hidden at the core.

9. "Graduate Analyst"

I worked at Volkswagen Group of America full-time

Pros

Awesome cars, nice people, cool experiences, fast learning environment, vehicle leases for yourself and family members, decent health insurance (high deductible though if you go with the cheaper plan)

I have made some life long connections here and as a graduate you get to experience things others in the company don't get to experience such as work trips to areas of the business that you wouldn't normally work with. Also it is a great introduction into the automotive world if you don't already know the business. You learn quickly and there is usually someone there to help you including the other graduates.

Cons

The program can really be made or broken by your managers that you get. Some of the graduates had awesome managers who actively created development plans with them and had open discussions about placement on their teams or other teams after the program (since you're not guaranteed a position and could end up without a job after 2 years of work). For other graduates, it was like pulling teeth to get some time with your manager since they are usually traveling or always in meetings; there were times when I didn't see my manager for weeks at a time. That particular manager never really provided me with any assignments or work to do. That manager also wasn't the one that hired me since you interview with a team and I didn't rotate to that team until a year later when all of the actual hiring managers had departed. During a different rotation I had asked a manager several times for feedback on my performance (after finally getting some time with them) and they indicated that my work was great and only had minor things I could work on. I later found out that this manager had been unhappy with my performance but failed to notify me of this even when I had been asking for it. How could I have improved on my performance if I wasn't notified that I wasn't meeting expectations after I had asked for feedback? A lot of these managers appear to look at the graduates as "free labor" and don't always fully utilize their graduates; eventually the graduate won't be their problem.

As far as landing a job with the company after your two years are up can be tricky. The job you want probably won't be available within the company since a lot of budgets have dried up since TDI which means you might have to interview for jobs you don't care about and pretend that you do just so you can stay employed. HR likes to provide "feedback" if you interview for a job and don't get it. I was once told I that I just didn't seem to want it enough (this is one that I actually wanted, not one of the ones I had to pretend for). Also there didn't appear to be any push for internal candidates over external candidates for positions. Lastly, if you do land a job with the company after your two years, beware that there is no negotiating on salary since they already have you. Basically, you take the job they offer you or you stay in your current role as a graduate and eventually have your contract end.

Last but not least is location. It seems every office you might end up in is in the suburbs of a major city. HQ is about an hour outside of DC (the third highest cost of living city in the US). For anyone that is young (e.g. graduates), you'll want to live in the city; factor in an hour commute to and from work every day, probably paying $1,700 a month for a tiny studio apartment, street parking, and toll roads which provide some of the worst traffic in the country. In addition to poor location, there is no location based pay. If you're in the LA office you'll be making the same as the person in the Atlanta office, NJ office, Chicago office, and HQ. The pay for a graduate is great in Chicago and Atlanta but not very good at all for LA, NJ, or DC (and again, no negotiation).

Advice to Management

The easiest fix to all of the above would be to find a way to have ALL managers actually manage their graduates. If your team is requesting one, make sure you do it because you want to develop this individual and have them on your team, not just so you have "free labor".

10. "Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They have Great perks and benefits

Cons

They are slow to make decisions

Advice to Management

advance locals instead of bringing in FSE's.