Volkswagen Group of America Reviews | Glassdoor

3.4
Volkswagen Group of America President and CEO Hinrich J. Woebcken
Hinrich J. Woebcken

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "I also have found that this is a work environment that provides its employees a good work life balance" (in 22 reviews)

• "Good benefits in terms of work flexibility" (in 30 reviews)

Cons
  • "Work life/balance is non existent" (in 21 reviews)

• "long hours, have to work night shift due to senority, hard on the body and exhausting work" (in 10 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"I love working at the electronics research lab for VW group of America"

Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Intern - Hourly in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome work environment. Cool fun projects and the chance to with for the largest Automotive manufacture in the world. The Erl had about 200 or so employees and had the feel of a small tech company with tht resources of VW.

Cons

Sometimes it's a pain to have to communicate with Germany to get information on the cars or have to translate German text when I don't speak German

2. "Intern"

Pros

Great learning experiences, enjoyable to work at

Cons

none to speak of, I encourage this company

3. "Engineer"

Pros

Good benefits in terms of work flexibility

Cons

Management is Not easily approachable

4. "Administrative Assistant"

I worked at Volkswagen Group of America full-time

Pros

Created my own appointments with little supervision

Cons

Contract ended shorter then expected

Advice to Management

Be realistic with project timelines

5. "Engineer"

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America full-time

Pros

Very international tasks and good benefits

Cons

Sometimes unorganized and very distant hr

6. "it was just a job"

I worked at Volkswagen Group of America full-time

Pros

the pay was pretty decent

Cons

was a very toxic environment

7. "Crooked management"

Former Employee - Production TM in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Production TM in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Was fantastic as long as the Germans ran things.

Cons

American management resorted to dirty tactics.

Advice to Management

Bring back the Germans.

"One of the best paying jobs in the area - but that's about it"

Former Employee - Senior Level White Collar Job in Chattanooga, TN
    Former Employee - Senior Level White Collar Job in Chattanooga, TN

I worked at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working at Volkswagen Group of America, specifically at the Chattanooga assembly plant, is one of the best paying jobs in the Chattanooga area with some of the best benefits as well.

Other pros include great job security for office staff. During my years at the plant, I saw plenty of negative actions from employees lead to nothing, when they would have been fired at most other jobs. Non-existent performance, drinking on the job, calling in sick every week, etc. You have to do something pretty major to get fired from VW.

Working in an automotive plant is pretty cool just in principle, thanks to being around all sorts of robots and cars and getting a "behind the scenes" view that most people never get to see.

Cons

The VW Chattanooga assembly plant has one of the most unhealthy work environments and cultures I've seen. Very high pressure environment, where management and leadership try to get their way by being the loudest and most aggressive, rather than the ones with the best ideas. Yelling, fists pounding tables, threats, etc are all part of the day to day. By far one of the most stressful environments I've worked in, and the only perks to offset the stress are the good pay and the big annual bonus (bigger than you think, believe me)

The bonus is the only thing that made the job worth it. The culture is horrible. The office benefits are non-existent (no free or good coffee available, no water coolers allowed in the dept I worked in, no break rooms except the cafeteria, no rest areas, etc).

The work schedule was also very old fashioned. I was expected to arrive before 8am and not leave until after 5pm no matter what. Even if I worked from 8am to 9pm on some days (which happened on several occasions), I was still expected to work 8-5 Monday through Friday. 65+ hour work weeks were not uncommon, and if you are salary you will get NO overtime for it. On top of all this, the walk from your car to your desk is about 15 minutes or 3/4 mile one way, so tack on an extra 30 minutes just to walk in and out. Don't worry though, managers get to park in the back, right by the building.

I worked at VW during the diesel emissions crisis, and 3 years later the attitudes and pressures that lead to that crisis in the first place are still there. It's hard to trust the leadership, since the primary goal is to achieve good results that makes VW Corporate happy.

If you want to sacrifice your mental health and your free time for good pay, then this is the place for you.

Advice to Management

More high level leadership is required to slow down the massive exodus of employees from the plant. People are quitting for a reason. And not just any high level leadership, the plant needs leaders who are focused on improving the culture and the work environment.

Constantly rotating executive level leadership every 2 years is part of the problem as well, since none of the leadership has to live with the consequences of their decisions, because they know they will get rotated again soon. It also seems like the only people who make it to senior manager or above are the really rude, really aggressive types of individuals who solve their problems by yelling and scaring the people around them.

And as small as it is, just providing employees with something as simple as free coffee and free water would be a perk, especially if you expect them to work such long, hard hours.

VW Chattanooga was the first "white collar" job I've ever had in my life that DIDN'T offer free coffee or tea to its employees. As small as that is, I think it also shows where they stand when it comes to employee care. If they can't bother to provide employees with the little things that make work and life a little more comfortable, then you can't trust them to provide the big things either.

Fun fact, they actively choose to provide crappy $4 coffee and eliminated water coolers, all in the name of cost savings, yet every VW car that is built in that plant leaves with imported German gasoline in the tank. They literally ship German gasoline over to fill the cars with, spending millions in the process, despite the fact that the first thing a dealership or buyer is going to do when getting their new car is fill it up with good ole regular gas from the local Shell or BP or Raceway.

9. "Positive"

Current Employee - Phone Agent in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Phone Agent in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company but needs to provide better work hours

Cons

Always looking to grow

Advice to Management

Provide more opportunities

Volkswagen Group of America Response

Sep 20, 2018 – Manager, Workforce Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback.

10. "Network Process Lead"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Auburn Hills, MI

I have been working at Volkswagen Group of America full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The organization is constantly providing challenges for their employees. Benefits are very good, such as the employee vehicle lease program.

Cons

Due to its large size there is a lot of waste in working through projects or obtaining finance for efforts.