Volt Information Sciences Reviews in Redmond, WA | Glassdoor

3.8
Michael Dean
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great work-life balance, management is very understanding (in 16 reviews)

• Best environment, great people, great pay (in 19 reviews)

Cons
  • Unfortunately there really is no room for growth (in 11 reviews)

• Did not seem to care about employees work/life balance (in 8 reviews)

1. "Director"

Current Employee - Director in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Director in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Volt Information Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

New Management, Great recruiting, great employee support

Cons

Old Company, Too many divisions overlapping, Time for a Re-Org

Advice to Management

Major Re-org

"Lots of turnover"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information Sciences full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Long established company with average benefits. Working hours were flexible and parking was free.

Cons

Needs better engaged Human Resources Department. Poor communication by HR and management which affected morale. Communication was sparse and morale events were rare. There was a high turnover which also affected morale.

Advice to Management

As the core of Volt's business is contingent staffing, it's important to make a concerted effort to not treat full-time employees like they're temporary and to make them feel more validated and valued. Better communication by HR and all levels of management is imperative.

3. "Good company for contracting or consulting"

Former Contractor - Software Development In Test Level II (SDET-II) in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information Sciences as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

1. Recruiters are professional and give you a lot of information about the company
    2. You get your pay check on time
    3. Offers some training as well

Cons

1. If you don't negotiate properly they can eat up to half of your salary

4. "Contracts with Unemployment Already Accounted For"

I worked at Volt Information Sciences as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Solid employment and quick start-up with a short commute. The process for getting set up was fairly quick, for better or worse.

Cons

Lack of support from VIS contacts. I thought it was unusual that after the contract duration, it was part of their 'plan' to put me on unemployment instead of aggressively attempt to get me relocated with another position with my new or updated credentials.

Is this legal, and if it is, isn't it against the general purpose of unemployment as a whole? Suffice to say that after two contract terms and a similar 'plan' the following contract expiration despite my distaste for it (I think it's wrong to be using unemployment except when it's absolutely necessary - we shouldn't be exploiting its use), I left VIS and moved to another company that had my interests at heart. Since then, I've been working full time and was negotiated into a contract without breaks.

Advice to Management

Businesses are about money, but do try to go above and beyond what's necessary to just make an extra buck. Also, exploiting unemployment in this fashion seems to be fairly standard practice after speaking with others in the same field - change the mold and do something morally better and withstanding.

"Poor Management"

Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Business Development Manager in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information Sciences full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Exposed to multiple projects and technologies. Learned about Microsoft and the culture while on site working as a vendor.

Cons

Poor management. Top down approach of management, "you will do as I say" and didn't listen to the employees. Did not reward based upon performance.

Advice to Management

Work on adding managers who listen to their employees needs and reward good employees for good performance.

"Seems Like a Nice Company"

Current Contractor - Console Game Tester in Redmond, WA
    Current Contractor - Console Game Tester in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Volt Information Sciences as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Everyone I've met has been nice

Cons

The company I'm contracted to doesn't seem to care about Employees

Advice to Management

Try to find another company to contract to, one that cares about their employees more

7. "Recruiters at Volt Information."

Former Employee - Contractor in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Contractor in Redmond, WA

Pros

The recruiters at volt are alert, caring, and responsive.
    The payroll professionals respond quickly and are very helpful.

Cons

Recruiters do not do site visits. Other companies recruiters came down to the site at least once a quarter, but their recruiters were not as good as those at Volt.

Advice to Management

When recruiters leave let your contractors know who will be caring for them.

8. "Volt - it all depends on which office"

Former Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA
    Former Employee - Analyst in Redmond, WA

Pros

they provide a transit pass

Cons

pay seems low for job requirements

Advice to Management

better training opportunities

"Below market compensation leads to turnover creating opportunities for those willing to give up work life balance."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I have been working at Volt Information Sciences full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is willing to reward employees with promotions and increased responsibilities given that you do all that is asked of you. The company knows its short comings and is working (albeit slowly) to improve the situation with its in house employees.

Cons

The benefits are a joke, attempts to inquire about them during the recruiting process are met with reassurance and avoidance. "Fire drills" are commonplace which impacts employees abilities to meet key deliverables, work life balance is difficult to achieve with managements expectations. Employee reviews are infrequent and communication from management is spotty at best.

Advice to Management

Improve benefits package, put in place a transparent merit increase program, improve communication from all levels of management, offer career development and/or mentorship to staff, don't put down employees behind their back.

10. "Great place to start"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Redmond, WA

I worked at Volt Information Sciences full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good management, lots of longevity with staff. Great work life balance

Cons

not the place to build a career. there always seems to be someone out there that will take your job if you don't work hard for it....with little pay