Volusion Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Volusion Founder and CEO Kevin Sproles
Kevin Sproles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I also love the work-life balance and flexible schedule (in 20 reviews)

• Nice perks like beer Friday, free ice cream, casual dress code (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Quickly becomes apparent you are selling the inferior products while upper management scrambles to figure out how to stay relevant (in 10 reviews)

• Still fighting through some growing pains as the company is always adapting and innovating, but change is healthy (in 8 reviews)

1. "They practice what they preach."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Transparency, autonomy, unlimited pto, flexible work environment, strong leadership, customer-first focus.

Cons

Nothing really. I'm anxious to see how Volusion 2 is received by our customers. So far, so good.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work. Maybe consider adding more parental level.

"Revitalized Culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management solicits feedback and actually takes it into consideration. It is possible to make an impact right away in your role here. The company is trying to be as open and transparent as possible with its employees, e.g., monthly town hall meetings and weekly (optional) anonymous feedback emails that they actually read and take into consideration when enacting changes.

Career opportunities-many people have moved up and laterally within the company. You don't have to worry about being stuck with no mobility or career growth.

Great perks--snacks, drinks, onsite yoga (in the onsite gym), bring your dog to work Fridays, and various events like self defense classes, woodworking shop classes, etc.

Cons

You can tell the company still has some ripple effects from the changes last year. Admittedly, I joined after the big changes took place, but I can see how it has a lasting effect. I would say this is common with any company that goes through a big change, and the main thing is how the company chooses to address it.

Advice to Management

Continue to be humble in knowing that there are still strides to be made toward bettering the company, continue soliciting feedback from employees and listening to them, be open in hiring someone who fits the culture code and has potential, even if they are not quite a "unicorn" (yet!).

"The Titanic of E-commerce, except they know the iceberg is coming..."

Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Sales in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Having e-commerce on your resume.
    Learning about all the other awesome e-comm platforms out there.
    Free Snacks and other food.
    There are a few people in the Culture and Sales department that are loyal and seem to genuinely care. (Emphasize few and not management)
    Tech Culture Perks (ping pong, tacos, etc)

Cons

- Recently changed the commission structure that absolutely reduces what the top 20% make while increasing the bottom 50%... No really...

- It's actually good that the company is 15+ years old... but so is the software.

- Quickly becomes apparent you are selling the inferior products while upper management scrambles to figure out how to stay relevant.

- Sales Management is struggling to engage the sales floor. Poor planning, training, and mentoring have ill equipped good people to do one of the hardest jobs in the company.

- A stagnant energy and divisive culture exist between the two sales teams, again mainly due to a lack of strategy (seating charts, competitions, small and large team building events, compensation structure, on and on). While they do a small variation on all the things mentioned above it is the unstrategic way that they are implemented.

- Senior Sales Management; does not believe in celebrating victories if you are not at goal, has a 'tried something 5 years ago and it didn't work so it won't work now' philosophy that is stifling the team's moral... MOST importantly they have not learned that all they need to learn is what motivates the individual and using that to inspire them to align with the overall goals of the company.

- Don't just read the sales reviews, read the developers as well. You will see that the software is a monster that could rival Dr. Frankenstiens.

- A sales manager who is 10-15 min late a couple times a week and wonders why attendance and tardiness is a problem.

- Ideas are met with an indignance and an outright attitude, that is unless they align with what is already in mind.

- Bad and outdated sales policy/rules of engagement that encourage lead poaching and interoffice strife. They have somehow convinced themselves that it is about the client when in reality it is about making sure they get signed up before they see a superior product. Unless you think it is a good practice, and as a consumer yourself, enjoy being called by 3-4 different sales reps over the weekend (Fri, Sat & Sun)?

- Because of how old the software is and the way it was foundationally designed there are simply things it cannot do. The app-based platform is the way of the future. The sales team basically just feeds the meat grinder of cancellations which really makes Customer Support super happy.

- Horrible delivery of critical conversations. This literally happened; we had a meeting with multiple managers, one delivered a message and left while giving the 'floor' to the other manager. This manager simply packed up and gave the indication meeting is over, then promptly delivers the CRITICAL policy change over chat... If you need a minute to process I understand...

- Does not know how to effectively/when to use discipline, and struggles to retain control over the negative effect this has had.

Advice to Management

- I witnessed the CEO introduce himself to the top Sales Rep on the floor in a food line and not know who he was. Pack up and camp out on your sales floor with a highly rated outside consultant and do a deep dive into everything.

- Attitude reflects leadership - if there is a problem with turnover there is a problem with management. Because as we know, people don't leave companies they leave managers. Again, this is top down, as the managers themselves know they should be engaging the team and coaching but do not know how, and are not given the tools to do so.

- If you can't leave your laptop you are a manager of things, not a leader of people. Unchain your managers and have a data team support them.

- YOU ARE AN 18-YEAR-OLD COMPANY NOT A STARTUP.

- Scrap and redesign your lead distribution system, its antiquated and terrbile.

- Hire/Create a Training Manager and have them sit in on interviews. You already have a candidate on the sales floor.

- The length of employment is not a sole qualification for a position. Promote based off of merit more so than time.

May 23, 2017

Hello, Thank you for sharing your concerns. We have shared in company wide meetings and now in recent press releases that the Volusion platform is getting an upgrade. Our CEO recognized the need for... More

"Bummer of a place to work"

Former Employee - Support Concierge in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Support Concierge in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It's a job
    They have snacks
    There is a game room

Cons

Really low pay
    No benefits for your first 5-or-so months
    No chance to get to know anybody you work with (because you're always on the phone)
    Company does not find it beneficial to focus on keeping support people, and instead accepts that they will have a high rate of turnover, so they don't do anything to make support "concierges" happy

Advice to Management

You would save money if you focused on making the support role more pleasant, and that way more people would stay for longer. Also, lots of other companies in Austin still give reasonable salary and benefits to entry level support people.

Mar 3, 2017

All full time Volusion employees are eligible to enroll in benefits starting on day one of employment. Part time employees are ineligible for benefits. The Support Concierge role’s current... More

"It's what you make of it."

Former Employee - Designer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Designer in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great in people & culture team. Snacks, lots of free food, a gym, other perks. Not very demanding of your time. Very flexible hours. People complain about mgt but I never had any problem with them.

Cons

Uncertain future given their competition. Didn't feel "safe" any more.

Advice to Management

Give your people reviews at least 1x a year, every year.

"Fun while you're there, but make sure to have an emergency fund"

Former Employee - Team Lead, Front End Development in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Team Lead, Front End Development in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

flexible work hours
    Work from home once a week
    20% hack time
    free breakfast friday
    snacks
    catered lunches and events on occasion

Cons

Volusion Development leadership is very much against change. Trying to upgrade a .Net version takes talking to 10 different people and waiting 6 weeks only to get shut down by a manager because he didn't think of it.

You never know when you'll be let go. They talk about being a transparent company, but then make split second decisions to let go a group of people once things start going downhill. Talking to coworkers, they were always afraid of losing their job, and there was no warning.

After being laid off they don't care about you. I was laid off with one week of severance. In the following weeks they invited the whole company to happy hour, threw multiple team events, and had a holiday party at the W. They have money, they just don't want to pay their developers.

Leadership has no idea what development does. While working there we used multiple tools to track our progress, and having a CEO familiar with Github, he was more than capable of looking through our commits, however we had multiple meetings where leadership claimed there was no work being done because their work wasn't being done.

Overall this job as a developer felt like half my time was development and the other half fighting a political battle with leadership.

Advice to Management

Look more than a week ahead. If you can't pay your developers another month, lay them off a month ahead of time and give them time to actually find a job.

Trust the people you hire to actually do their work. If there's no trust in your development team it creates a disconnect and an "us vs. them" mentality, which leads to developers to not want to work for you.

Don't screw over your developers when you let them go. Austin tech scene is small, and everyone knows what you're doing. To attract good developers you have to be somewhere people actually want to work at.

Quit making drastic decisions every 6 months and actually commit to completing something. Moving more devs to your problem doesn't solve your problem faster, it just leaves more devs with no work to do.

Next round of layoffs you do, look at work being done, not pay. You'll get more bang for your buck.

Dec 14, 2016

We regret that you had a negative experience in our Engineering department. Leadership values our development team; which is increasing in efficiency under the direction of our new CTO. He is focused... More

"Support Department Underappreciated"

Former Employee - ECommerce Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - ECommerce Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Met a lot of amazing pleople, learned to deal with difficult customers, improved my productivity and strengthened my techical skills. If you are new in tech, this is a very good opportunity to get your foot in the door.

Cons

The support department is seem as inferior to other departments. Compensation in support is not as good as other companies. Their new interface update is very complicated and the customers dislike it very much.

Advice to Management

Listen to the support managers.

"Time to Hustle"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Wouldn't have thought this before, but the new CEO is willing to make tough decisions. Like getting rid of the crap that has hurt the company for years and focusing on the stuff that matters most: Customers and product.

Cons

I've seen streams of rumors and "what-ifs" distract folks from performing their best for too long. My cup runneth over from the complainers; nobody wants to be around negativity every week.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to the employees and customers, and show progress around the key topics those two groups want fixed. Oh, and do it quick, the competition is getting better!

"The love you, until they don't."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fast-paced, challenging environment. Lots of "millennial" perks. Yoga, snacks, occasional lunchs, etc.

Cons

Open-floor office. You have to be a headphone zombie to get work done. Management is very cagey and often suspicious. Even as amicable as you'd like to be when leaving, they still bring out the knives.

Advice to Management

Reality is a better place to do business.

"Circling the drain"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The amount of pros here are canceled out by the Cons. If it was a stable job/work environment, then those perks would be great. Otherwise they are worth nothing but filler.

Cons

Not sure I can share anything more than the recent reviews have already said here, but this one is going down for the count. If you have any brain cells and you currently are still working here, then get out ASAP. The rest of you considering to take a job here, look at all these recent reviews and experiences and truth being spoken. If you even give it a second thought that you might want to come work here, check yourself into the nearest mental facility - fast . This place has nothing to offer you and the people that are there just want out. What kind of work environment is that? Also the definition of transparency: honest and open : not secretive. I thought I'd leave that there for you because everyone can see right through your B.S.!

Advice to Management

You all have been successful at screwing up everything that was once good or hopeful at this company. If that was your dreams and aspirations, take a bow. You made it to the big time of screwing up a company.

Nov 3, 2016

Thank you for the feedback. Our founder has taken back the helm this year and has been actively endeavoring to turn the ship around by refocusing on the improvement of our core product. Ultimately... More