Volusion Reviews | Glassdoor

4.3
Volusion Founder and CEO Kevin Sproles
Kevin Sproles

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • I also love the work-life balance and flexible schedule (in 20 reviews)

• Nice perks like beer Friday, free ice cream, casual dress code (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Quickly becomes apparent you are selling the inferior products while upper management scrambles to figure out how to stay relevant (in 10 reviews)

• Still fighting through some growing pains as the company is always adapting and innovating, but change is healthy (in 8 reviews)

1. "Developer"

I have been working at Volusion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Volusion has a really good atmosphere for developers. They have very talented people with a lot of experience. The best part of working as a developer at Volusion is their culture of iteration and problem solving. They work hard and play hard. If you like a atmosphere that pushes the envelope with technology while shooting Nerf guns, riding scooters and while being provided catered food, then you will love working at Volusion.

Cons

Be prepared to work in a open floor environment. This is not a con for most people because it helps collaboration.

Advice to Management

Don't change the culture.

"Good and Bad"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

People - The people at Volusion are definitely the best thing about working here.

Work - The work is challenging and exciting.

Environment - The office space is nice with a living room and a number of different sitting areas you can work in. They give most teams laptops so you can move around during the day and not be tethered to a desk. The game room has a ping pong table, shuffle board, and pool table. People ride scooters to get to and from conference rooms. Nerf gun wars and office games are common.

Perks - Perks like hack days, bring your dog to work Fridays, and the occasional free lunch are very nice.

Cons

Mid level management - Some of the Product Managers at Volusion routinely practice behaviors that are notoriously disheartening for their employees. Practices like stonewalling, taking credit for ideas/work, throwing team members under the bus, and lying about agreed upon criteria and delivery dates. I’ve had the pleasure of working with so many great product mangers in Austin’s tech community, unfortunately, Volusion can’t seem keep any of them.

Outdated technology - Their current SAAS product is outdated and their plans for replacing it are too conservative. With this comes a pervasive “can’t do” kind of attitude that prevents the company from getting ahead of their competition.

IT Team - The IT team is overbooked most of the time and this leads to project launch dates getting pushed back 6 months to a year. This is unacceptable for a technology company practicing agile, in my opinion.

Fake Perks - Volusion advertises a number of what we lovingly call “ferks,” which means fake perks. They advertise items like massages, dry cleaning, oil changes, food trucks, beer fridays, fitness classes, life insurance, pet insurance, etc - which are benefits you can opt for, only if you foot the bill 100%. Don’t get me wrong, I love having these options, I just don’t agree with how Volusion advertises them, as if they were paid for by the company.

Advice to Management

Hire better Product Managers

3. "A fun place that takes itself very seriously"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time

Pros

The workplace atmosphere is pretty laid back, which is great for a mid to large company. The HR department does a really good job of making the place seem fun and inviting. The benefits packages are also very good. They also hire a pretty good group of people that really make or break your experience there.

Cons

Despite the work hard, play hard mentality, it doesn't balance out very evenly. It's a serious company way more than it is a fun company. That isn't necessarily a bad thing, but beware, you can't coast by. You step out of line and they have no qualms about letting you know and/or go.

Advice to Management

The people make the atmosphere and are what keep people coming to work. Don't forget that, you can loosen the reigns a lot more so people don't all feel like they're so expendable, even if they are.

"So so....."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life attitude. Some staff, especially the newcomers, dedicated to providing great support - and having fun. Good original product....

Cons

Prone to executive fads, tending to let the latest buzz words and managerial nostrums obscure actual results and issues.
    Poor reward system, a few Werther Originals are not industry standard compensation.
    Rule by silence and decree with no real interest in employees - us and them attitude.

Advice to Management

As if they would listen!

5. "Ecommerce Sales Consultant"

Former Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Ecommerce Sales Consultant in Austin, TX

I worked at Volusion full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great job right after college if you are looking to stay in Austin. Not the best pay, but fun gig. Also if you enjoy software/internet/SaaS you will enjoy it. Lead generation is pretty simple, and the cold calls aren't bad, especially compared to true cold calling.

Cons

Responsible for monthly quota for a sales cycle of anywhere from 1 call, "first call close", 14 days after their trial, and some beat around the bush for 45 days. Also reps who have strong pipeline and many contacts usually hit quota, and are appeared as "rockstars". However, these people have just shared their contact information with everyone and overtime are reached more frequently. They set quotas so these top 10% make okay money, while the rest do not..simply because of pipeline. End of month gets too intense. The bonus structure is horrible. I had huge numbers and did not get paid at all what I should. Sales dependent on marketing for good leads, and also dependent on Volusion pricing. Which could have "waived" set up fees, gold, sign up here and downgrade here.. blah blah..

Advice to Management

Volusion is great. Leads were greatness. I would say my recommendation is to take out the "cheese". Volusion felt really, really, cheesy. Change the bonus structure up.

"Only worried about their bottom line."

Former Employee - Technical Support in Simi Valley, CA
    Former Employee - Technical Support in Simi Valley, CA

I worked at Volusion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Worked with some cool people and had a variety of shift options (based on seniority).

Cons

The managers have zero concern for you, you'll be asked to work overtime often, raises are borderline non-existent. I left after roughly nine months, shortly after that they shuttered the entire branch laying everyone off without notice and moved the entire operation to Texas. I've never seen a company with less concern for their employees. They'll just replace you with someone else. Extremely low pay and unfriendly management. I wouldn't recommend anyone work here.

Advice to Management

They need to start managing their employees, not ignoring them. Basically their answer to everything was "if you don't like it, leave". There is zero focus on employee loyalty or retention.

"Great company and great culture"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very laid back and the ability to perform at a high level

Cons

Communication style of team managers is often aggressive

Advice to Management

Upper-management is doing a good job leading the company. Mid and lower level managers need communication training when dealing with employees.

"Wonderful place to work"

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

#1 the people. Volusion has done an outstanding job staffing. Everyone there grows as a family and welcomes new members with open arms. Volusion is constantly trying to better the company and get new perks for it's employees

Cons

It's a growing company, and it's growing fast. With that comes growing pains that are expected.

"Casual atmosphere with cool but talented and dedicated team"

Current Employee - Services in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Services in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Casual atmosphere - no real dress code; people aren't stressed out and crazy
    - Snacks, food, more food, ice cream, bring beer to work on Friday
    - Lots of opportunities for new ideas and improving services
    - Coworkers / managers listen and everyone helps each other out.
    - Good salary and benefits
    - Company provided tech, flexibility in desk (can move around with laptop)

Cons

- Things can move crazy quick at times, and sometimes you feel the growing pains. Sometimes there's a ton of work to be done. It's definitely not easy, but it's rewarding and a place where you enjoy going in everyday

Advice to Management

Keep us in the loop. :)

10. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Austin, TX

I have been working at Volusion full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of free food and culture events. I actually enjoy coming to work. It is great being able to relax at work when you need to and still be motivated to do your best.

Cons

I really can't think of any cons that have to do with the culture or people that work there. However, I do feel that internally hired position can some times pay under the market rate.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing.