Von Maur Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Von Maur President James D. von Maur
James D. von Maur

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • love the time and a half on sundays (in 88 reviews)

• Time and a half on Sundays (which managers rarely get) and no crazy holiday hours (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • On your feet all day, assanine dress code (in 150 reviews)

• Good number of 20-something department managers - not necessarily a con, but can generate unnecessary drama at times (in 72 reviews)

"Great company to work for!"

Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Visual Merchandiser in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Von Maur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Doesn't have the feel of a big corporation, good health insurance and benefits. One weekend off a month and 2 weekends off a month after one year. All holidays off and you get paid for holidays after 1 year of employment. Commission on your sales.

Cons

It's retail, so the hours aren't the best. More intense sales goals

2. "Customer and Employee focused"

I worked at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Friendly upper management, Department Management, and coworkers! Their company philosophy is rare to find in retail anymore.

Cons

I had a great experience.

3. "Vonamaur Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

I worked at Von Maur part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Time and a half on Sundays
    Major Holidays off

Cons

Traditional strict dress code, ladies can only wear dresses or skirts, not tattoos showing and must wear pantyhose.

"Review"

I have been working at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Von Maur offers dental, health benefits, a 401k option, Flex option, sick time and a moderate vacation scale. Time and a half on Sundays, and Holiday Pay; That's why most of us stay on. Raises are apx. 40 cents a year, and if you are written up, you may not get one. However, if a secret shopper comes through, and is impressed, you can get a bonus raise, alas, mine isn't a sales position. They did adjust the nylon policy, no longer required, and we can wear dress-boots. But I couldn't wear footless tights. Strange. It seems there is an effort to recruit people with better people skills rather then promoting based on a certain look.

Cons

The staff across the board has a high turn over, so with regularity I was dealing with very young floor management just learning the ropes. At one point I felt they must be using 'The Devil Wears Prada' as a training tool. Generally the floor managers in my experience are not seasoned and don't have the management skills for that position. I've had several who were awesome, but generally they get recruited for larger stores. I don't think they are referencing the visual manual, constant mixed messages, so that has been frustrating. Some of the regional and higher management seem to have a culture of superiority(above the store level).

Advice to Management

The trainees need more on the floor getting experience, and maturity, human resource development skills, prior to putting them in management positions. If you get multiple complaints and negative reviews on a specific manager, response time should be quicker at the upper level.

5. "So far my experience working here has been very better then other places."

Pros

I work for an hourly wage the extra commission is a bonus!!! Time and a half on Sunday is awesome. I like the open door policy, upper management are patient and nice. Dress code is just fine nothing wrong with looking like a real lady a lost art in society today. Beautiful facility to work in, love the piano playing. Nice discount. Apparently they’ve up graded Tess and I know manager can override the suggested schedules I’ve already change mine many times.

Cons

You really don’t get a minute to sit down you should be able to sit down and make your phone calls and have a water bottle to drink something it’s not healthy to be running around that long without a decent drink especially talking to people and it’s to freshen your breath there’s no reason why you can’t put one in the stockroom we go in there so many times we could just take a sip. Also Sundays are great if you actually were allowed to work them half the day. My church service is later in the morning so I can’t come in till later it’s still a four hour shift though. Those are my only cons.

"Stuck in the 50's"

Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Beauty Advisor in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Time and a half on Sundays.

Cons

Policies are outdated, store is extremely slow, we have to harass customers over the phone to get them to come in, other retailers allow you to text or email customers. The dresscode is outdated. We are always short staffed, if I'm covering another department how am I going to make my makeup counter goal if I'm never at my counter? Being one minute late weighs the same as being an hour late which is ridiculous. Managers get angry at us that there are no customers in the store, yet there is no advertisement and when I tell people where I work they don't know what Von Maur is. Even the decor is old fashioned.

7. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Von Maur full-time

Pros

For most part nice company to work for. Benefit package, employee discount

Cons

Outdated dress code, double standard rules, not allowed to have anything to drink within work area - sometimes you do not get a break therefore you become dehydrated. No women's bathroom on 2nd floor of store which makes it very uncomfortable for female employees.

Advice to Management

Update dress code. Allow women to wear nice dress slacks and employees to have beverages to keep in storage areas to stay hydrated. Add a female employees restroom to the 2nd floor of store.

8. "Sales Associate"

I have been working at Von Maur part-time

Pros

Great selection of merchandise attractively displayed
    Stocking, gift boxing, vacuuming, markdowns, opening store accounts, locating merchandise from other VM stores, filling merchandise requests for other stores , maintaining (high) sales quotas, etc...you will do it all.
    Most senior managers are helpful and great to work with.
    Regular clientele that appreciates quality service

Cons

Erratic # of work hours and schedule - anywhere from 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.+
    Slow registers
    Rigid attendance policy- you are late if even by one minute both clocking in for a shift and returning from a lunch break.

Advice to Management

be able to substantiate feedback with details, give sales associates the ability to access their daily sales numbers (greater transparency), compensate associates for opening up store charges, use Saturday morning meeting time for more product/store knowledge

9. "Great Customer Service"

Former Employee - Sales Associate
    Former Employee - Sales Associate

I worked at Von Maur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Supportive Management and professional environment. Von Maur has very high standards for customer service.

Cons

The dress code is old fashioned

10. "Good for college kid"

I worked at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Store discount, education of retail/brands, great employees.

Cons

They think it’s cool to hire 21 year olds as department managers because of “seniority”. On your feet all day, assanine dress code.

Advice to Management

Actually get to know your employees. HR lady, the women who actually hired me didn’t even know who I was. Change the dress code, it’s 2018, women shouldn’t be forced to wear pants.