Von Maur Reviews | Glassdoor

2.8
Von Maur President James D. von Maur
James D. von Maur

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • love the time and a half on sundays (in 86 reviews)

• Time and a half on Sundays (which managers rarely get) and no crazy holiday hours (in 28 reviews)

Cons
  • Strict dress code, have to punch out for 1 hour lunch breaks (in 146 reviews)

• Department managers are treated just as glorified sales associates (no growth/ challenging tasks) (in 69 reviews)

1. "Really great company"

I worked at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Over time on Sundays and no late hours during the holidays

Cons

Tardy policy and dress code

2. "It is fun and everyone is so nice."

Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Seasonal Sales Associate in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Von Maur part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-friendly
    - always something to do
    - fun
    - discount is good
    - medium paced
    - managers are friendly
    - training is easy
    - flexible scheduling

Cons

Pay is little but I am seasonal. You don’t get breaks because I am seasonal , I think. I also am part time and don’t work too many hours a day.

3. "Handbag Sales"

I worked at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Great Benefits, Friendly co-wrokers, opportunities, live piano music,

Cons

dress code-dresses/skirts only for women and full suits for men, lack of customers to earn sales from

"Department Manager"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Iowa City, IA

I worked at Von Maur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Discount/great co-workers/ two weekends off a month/flexible schedule/excellent clientale/clean and safe working environment*

Cons

I started out at $10/hour then was promoted to Department Manager at $13.50/hr after 6 months with the company only to discover most employees with my experience BEGAN with $13.50/hr then made 2 dollars more typically once promoted to a DM. Very disheartening! College students at part-time made the same wage hourly starting out as I did full-time with years of retail experience under my belt!

Advice to Management

Follow all stores base pay* You are paying full-time associates to unbox, steam, organize, and merchandise an abundance of product in dresses/full suits most other retailers have TEAMS accomplishing all within two hours 3 days a week ALONG with markdowns TWICE a week! You should be paying for 2 wages! It wa absurd! And unfair!

"Ok"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Omaha, NE
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Omaha, NE

I have been working at Von Maur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

40 hours Max, paid holidays after one year, 2 weekends off a month, generous attendance policy

Cons

Promotions based on favoritism, if your looking to grow and upset the wrong person even if your qualified you will not even get to interview for the position.

Advice to Management

Accept constructive criticism from subordinates.....as you push for your staff to accept it from you, you should also accept it and not use it to pigeon hole qualified candidates

6. "The Cons Seriously Outweigh the Pros"

Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA
    Former Employee - Retail Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Von Maur part-time

Pros

Good employee discounts, friendly staff, and good training programs.

Cons

Poor management including poor conflict resolution and micro-managing, backwards culture (women have to wear long dresses/skirts and tights at all times, no pants), lots of gossip amongst employees.

Advice to Management

Work on conflict resolution. It should not include pitting employees against one another. Management bad mouthing certain employees to other employees in order to gain trust should not occur either. Also, don't talk down to employees just because you may be in a "higher" position.

7. "customer servise"

Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Iowa City, IA
    Current Employee - Customer Service Associate in Iowa City, IA

I have been working at Von Maur full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Slow environment, not stressful, and nice people

Cons

not a lot of recognition to good employees.

Advice to Management

If you appreciate good employees more and recognize their efforts.

"Full-time for 2 years"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in Bloomington, IL

I have been working at Von Maur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

great competitive pay for young students
    two weekends off a month after a year
    holiday and sick time after a year

Cons

management will never listen to a word you say. when there’s issues, they make you feel like you’re the problem. they act like they’ll help but nothing is ever done. full of lazy, degrading department “managers” who take all the credit from their actual hard working associates who get no credit. it’s sickening the way they treat their associates, especially since we’re the reason they stay open, not them.

Advice to Management

learn how to be decent human beings. you do not own my life, you simply manage a workplace.

9. "Ups and downs"

I worked at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Management will find a way to fire you if disagree with something they say

10. "Loss of words...."

I have been working at Von Maur part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great coworkers. They are the ONLY great thing about this place.

Cons

This place is great at first. They make it seem like it's very employee friendly and like they care about you. Then after you worked there for a while, they start messing with your schedule. I'm part time and i have to constantly remind them how many hours a part timer works...they do this because of lack of employees. They also expect you to meet a goal that's ridiculous... there are barely any customers to sale to and those that come in regularly know that the return policy favors customers so they are always bringing stuff back, which stinks when you make commission, especially women's shoes. They said "we don't do holiday hours" but some how this year we open early and on 12/24/17 we are open at 9. The reason I started working here was because they seemed to really have their employees back but that's starting to not be the case.This place is great at first. They make it seem like it's very employee friendly and like they care about you. Then after you worked there for a while, they start messing with your schedule. I'm part time and i have to constantly remind them how many hours a part timer works...they do this because of lack of employees. They also expect you to meet a goal that's ridiculous... there are barely any customers to sale to and those that come in regularly know that the return policy favors customers so they are always bringing stuff back, which stinks when you make commission, especially women's shoes. They said "we don't do holiday hours" but some how this year we open early and on 12/24/17 we are open at 9. The reason I started working here was because they seemed to really have their employees back but that's starting to not be the case.

Advice to Management

Appreciate your employees, we are great people who value our jobs. Remember the values that this company started with. Fix Tess. And let employees know before you change their schedule around. And next holiday season please give us something a little more useful... what are we suppose to do with a book. Just saying.