Von Maur Reviews | Glassdoor

Von Maur Reviews

Updated September 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Time and a half on Sundays is a great perk (in 84 reviews)

• Had all the holidays off, no crazy holiday hours, (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Strict dress code, have to punch out for 1 hour lunch breaks (in 140 reviews)

• Department managers are treated just as glorified sales associates (no growth/ challenging tasks) (in 64 reviews)

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Normal, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Normal, IL

I worked at Von Maur full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great Pay for Retail
    Rewards for customer reviews
    Time and a half on Sunday
    All Major Holidays Off

Cons

Absolutely the worst job I have ever had. The management is never happy with what you do, I was the top seller in my department every week for the 6 months I was there and NEVER was that appreciated. I was always told I could do a lot better and that I was nowhere near what the expected of me.

"Buyer"

Own your business
    Travel
    Continuously trainings
    Multiple reviews to see where you are with the company

Cons

Difficult dress code-panty hose and skirts/dresses for women
    Unaccommodating
    Strict schedule

Advice to Management

This company is great to get your experience and get out. If you have any other opinion about the way they do their business, keep it to yourself, because you'll be wasting your breath.

The dress code continuously changes to make it seem like they are modernizing to today's style but it just makes it more complicated and it is never in a manual so they can just tell you you are out of dress code and you have no clue. There's a different dress code for market, the office, store visits, vendor appointments, travel, working in the store, LA and NYC market differ, it's just too much. Cannot show any individuality and have to cover tattoos, even though the position is supposed to be related to "fashion."

No water at desk, no food, no pictures, very robotic. 830AM-5PM job: no 4:59PM, or they'll say you are leaving early. Really hard to talk to any upper management about any issues within the company even though it's an open door policy.

Very unappreciative for any work that is done, if it isn't equivalent to a monetary profit.

They try way too hard to have the center be "fair" with the stores, most importantly for holiday. The buyers have to work in the stores 4 times between Thanksgiving and Christmas, but the stores are required to have the associates work 6 days a week, so they're covered and they don't want buyers taking the sales. Additionally, you have to stay in the office for eves of holidays, even though there is no vendor in sight and everyone else is off, but because the sales associates are in the store, the buyers have to be in the office.

The company is great for training and reviews. You learn a lot, but it is not a longterm type of company. If they don't modernize soon, all the 20+ years workers are going to retire and they aren't going to be able to grasp on to any younger workers.

3. "Decent company to work for"

Pros

Great co-workers and flexible work hours.

Cons

Terrible management and women have to wear tights even when working in hardware. You arent allowed to have water anywhere near your desk.

4. "Store Manager Issues"

I have been working at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Great benefits and pay.

Cons

Store Manager needs to be more consistent with employees. I also had some issues with her confusing confidential issues about employees to me. Keep this in mind when deciding whether or not to apply to this location.

Advice to Management

Make sure you are aware of how you appear to your associates and department managers. They need to feel as if you truly care about them because they are there to support you and the customers find what they need. Also, professionalism is key. Keep confidential information about certain employees between you and that employee.

"Department Manager"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Coralville, IA
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Coralville, IA

I worked at Von Maur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great discount, coworkers were fantastic

Cons

Awful store management, all talk and no action

6. "I honestly never want to leave"

Current Employee - Loss Prevention Associate in Saint Charles, IL
    Current Employee - Loss Prevention Associate in Saint Charles, IL

I have been working at Von Maur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Holidays off, easy request for vacation and days off, paid time and a half on Sunday. Amazing management team. Management works with you to move up in the company, it is really genuine.

Cons

There is a very Formal dress code, females wear a skirt, blouse or blazer and nylons. Men must wear a full suit.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I think our management team is just amazing. I really think they've done a wonderful job. I really aspire to one day be in their position

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yorktown, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Yorktown, IL

I have been working at Von Maur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

People, holiday scheduling, fellow employees

Cons

Horrible Management, atmosphere and morale. Scheduling and hours are awful and the uniform guidelines are from 1920

"Not bad I suppose"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wichita, KS
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Wichita, KS

I worked at Von Maur full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits and friendly management

Cons

Schedules vary and scheduling computer system is awful

"Good Job if you don't really need one"

Former Employee - Clerical in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Clerical in Davenport, IA

I worked at Von Maur (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pretty building and Amenities, ample parking, most co workers are down to earth, secured building, decent hours

Cons

Poor management, little room for growth, can't drink water, must wear tights, EXPENSIVE dress code

Advice to Management

Ease up on your employees. More interdepatmental communication would make things much better across the board

10. "Executive Trainee"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Des Moines, IA

I worked at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Von Maur promotes from within. If you do well and work hard you will more than likely get promoted either to a position in your store or to a different position in another store.

Cons

Very strict. Start out at store level. Women have to wear pantyhose everyday. There wasn't a lot of communication from the corporate office during the training program. I often times had to ask my store manager to meet with me, she did not follow the training manual very closely.

Advice to Management

Allow your employees to grow and not limit them on what you think is best for them.