Von Maur Reviews | Glassdoor

Von Maur Reviews

Updated July 20, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Time and a half on Sundays is a great perk (in 83 reviews)

• Had all the holidays off, no crazy holiday hours, (in 46 reviews)

Cons
  • Strict dress code, have to punch out for 1 hour lunch breaks (in 135 reviews)

• No communication with the upper management (in 63 reviews)

1. "sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Von Maur full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Hours worked
    diversity
    everyone is nice
    pay is okay

Cons

Scheduling
    one weekend off a month

Advice to Management

need to re interview certain managers

"A Nightmare of Tights, Scheduling, and Red Tape"

Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Lincoln, NE
    Former Employee - Part Time Sales Associate in Lincoln, NE

I worked at Von Maur part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was pretty good for retail, and you would get commission. The 30% employee discount was great, and my coworkers were great.

Cons

Working at Von Maur was miserable. The dress code was silly and impractical, and managers were not at all willing to listen to the employees, only their overlords in Iowa.

Advice to Management

Stop micromanaging, delegate the scheduling to the DMs, and treat them better while you're at it.

3. "Customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Von Maur (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay time 1/2 on Sunday

Cons

Poor management no room for advancing

"Buyer-Corporate level"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

I worked at Von Maur full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Ability to grow quickly right out of college
    -Experience traveling to large markets like NYC, LA, ATL
    -Built strong vendor relationships
    -Gain entrepreneurial skills
    -Made great friends at the buyer level
    -Able to complete work in a 8:30am-5pm day

Cons

-Poor work environment (women not allowed to wear pants, not allowed food or water at desk, not allowed any personal items at desk, no flexible hours, strict "break times, minimal group work, lack of presentations)
    -Culture is one of silence, not enthusiasm
    -Management treats employees like middle schoolers (can't get up until the "bell" rings!)
    -Great learning for 2-3 years, but little beyond that, due to company structure
    -Not given "observed holidays" as vacation days

Advice to Management

-Please work on retention at the buyer level. It becomes very difficult to gain respect and credibility from vendors in the market and maintain relationships when turnover is so high. I have been directly told this by many vendors!

-Change the sexist dress code! No woman wants to be restricted to pantyhose and flats. It is very uncomfortable and embarrassing in the market

-Von Maur has great potential, but the petty rules chase top talent to other companies, including competitors. Vendors even help Von Maur employees acquire new jobs.

-Management feels employees quit because of the Davenport, IA location, but in my experience, this is is NOT true

"This job ruined my life"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Moline, IL
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Moline, IL

I worked at Von Maur part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Discount, the people you get the work with, quality of the merchandise, high end atmosphere, good sales commission

Cons

Management, the customers, the policies, and the overall culture of the company, the dress code

Advice to Management

Your policies are incredibly unreasonable and you make employees feel like you're breathing down their necks. I had so many panic attacks and was so stressed about my part time job it consumed my life. The structure is so much it feels like I'm stuck in the era during which the company first started and that's really bad. Women can't wear pants? Really? Not to mention how rigid the environment is and how management scolds you like a child. Stop brainwashing your employees into thinking that Von Maur is the end all be all, and using scare tactics to force them into submission. Jim is a really nice guy and he came to our store frequently, but he needs to be the change in his company and push things toward a more modern direction. Von Maur has no control over their own company--it is completely run by customers. Which sounds incredible but it's not. They have created the most entitled, snobby breed of people who think they don't have to follow policy and they can treat associates like garbage. And then management would write you up as you're crying because a customer was mad they were past their price adjustment limit and decided to call you names and then complain and lie about you.

6. "Department Manager"

Current Employee - Department Manager in Normal, IL
    Current Employee - Department Manager in Normal, IL

I have been working at Von Maur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, opportunities to excel quickly, no surprises in regards to disciplinary action

Cons

Hard to escape the drama that comes with working with a lot of women, recently hard to get 40 hours a week

Advice to Management

Don't forget how you started and what it was like to be on the floor for hours on end.

"Would Not Recommend"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Department Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Von Maur full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You get holidays off and that's about the only pro I can think of for this job. You also get 2 weekends off a month if you're full time.

Cons

They say you get "time and a half" on Sundays but when they do schedule you on Sundays they give you less hours during the week so you're not actually making more money that week. No room for advancement past department manager because the hire most floor managers externally and the pay is low for department managers. Very conservative company, the dress code is ridiculous.. women have to wear a skirt or dress with hosiery. You are required to work 6 days a week during holiday but also can't go over 40 hours so you don't get overtime. You constantly have to work in other departments because they're always understaffed. You're not allowed to have conversations with people in neighboring departments or you could get written up. If you're even 1 min late it counts as tardy and after 17 tardies you get fired. The list goes on! I've been in retail for 10 years and this was the worst job I've ever worked I don't recommend it.

Advice to Management

Instead of sitting in your office all day every day get out on the sales floor and help out your departments and show them that you care and maybe the morale in the store will rise.

8. "Sales Associate - Not Bad!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at Von Maur part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Higher pay for a sales associate, manager was great, people are friendly! Nice hours!

Cons

Had to take out nose ring - not a HUGE con, and the formal dress code - a little hard to follow at time. Hard to get shifts covered!

9. "I thoroughly enjoy my job, the only reason I don't give 5 stars is because of the dress code."

Current Employee - Sales Associate, Women's Shoes in Oklahoma City, OK
    Current Employee - Sales Associate, Women's Shoes in Oklahoma City, OK

I have been working at Von Maur full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay
    Benefits
    Employee discount
    Consistent hours
    Reliable coworkers and managers
    Thorough training
    Constant feedback
    Many opportunities to grow within the company

Cons

Competitive at times
    Dress code is severely outdated

Those are really the only cons I can think of! Competition is very limited but it definitely happens at times.

Advice to Management

Seriously. The dress code is awful, I can look just as feminine and proper in a nice, pressed pair of dress pants as I can in a skirt and panty hoes. Plus, imagine how much faster I could run up and down the stockroom stairs if I wasn't in a pencil skirt every day!

10. "cosmetics manager"

Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Full Time Sales Associate in Davenport, IA

Pros

discount is on the whole store, coworkers are friendly and fun to work with and help the day go by faster, good pay

Cons

incompetent managers who are afraid to stick up for themselves, the dress code is not great and the hours are worse

Advice to Management

they need to follow through with their word, they also need to communicate better, associates will know information before managers