Von Maur "major holidays" Reviews | Glassdoor

Von Maur Employee Reviews about "major holidays"

Updated Aug 15, 2019

Found 856 reviews

2.8
Von Maur CEO James D. von Maur
James D. von Maur
Cons

Reviews about "major holidays"

Return to all Reviews

"Loss Prevention Associate"

I have been working at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Great benefits. Paid time off after a year of employment. The store is closed all major holidays.

Cons

None that I can think of.

Von Maur2018-09-06

"Best Retailer to Work For"

I have been working at Von Maur part-time

Pros

Pay, major holidays off, room to grow

Cons

management are all young, biased, and cliquey, long hours some days, you can work 11 days in a row without a day off

Von Maur2018-08-13

"Slaves"

I worked at Von Maur full-time

Pros

Treats on the major Holidays

Cons

Employees have to walk thru long dank back ways and up numerous sets of steps to access store. It is dangerous and you are tired before you start work. You are scheduled to come in 2-3 hrs before store opening to handle massive amounts of freight off the trucks and stock your own supplies from the basement.

Advice to Management

Hire more non selling employees.

Von Maur2018-04-22
  4. "Vonamaur Review"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Davenport, IA

I worked at Von Maur part-time for more than a year

Pros

Time and a half on Sundays Major Holidays off

Cons

Traditional strict dress code, ladies can only wear dresses or skirts, not tattoos showing and must wear pantyhose.

Von Maur2018-02-20
  5. "Great retail environment"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in West Des Moines, IA

I have been working at Von Maur part-time

Pros

You make some commission, the hours are good, not open super late like most department stores and you get all the major holidays off. The store managers are helpful and friendly - willing to accommodate your needs.

Cons

Some department managers kind of skimp out on doing things, like closing duties and leave the associates to deal with it while they leave early. There is a major pay discrepancy. A colleague of mine said she made a lot more than I did and sometimes they didn't adjust pay rates in a timely manner on employee checks.

Advice to Management

Don't only check in with the department managers once in a while to make sure they are doing a good job, but also check with the associates of their departments.

Von Maur2017-12-29
  6. "Department Manager"

Former Employee - Department Manager in Wichita, KS

I worked at Von Maur full-time for less than a year

Pros

Compensation is fair Time and a half on Sunday's Normally get time off Off on all Major Holidays NO Holiday Hours

Cons

The uniform was awful. We had to wear panty hose everyday and dresses or skirts. It was very uncomfortable. They let you get away with way to many absences and tardies You can leave and not come back or have any excuse of not coming back and it doesn't affect you on your CSIP's so its unfair to department managers

Advice to Management

Set the expectations of your employees higher!

Von Maur2017-10-02

"Doesn't even deserve one star"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Alpharetta, GA

I worked at Von Maur full-time for more than a year

Pros

closed on major holidays, time & a half on sundays (if you were luckily scheduled to work them). back when I worked there, pay was higher than typical retail and you could get a higher rate starting out if you just said you had a higher rate at your last employer.

Cons

Horribly outdated dress code; women only allowed to wear skirts/dresses and pantyhose, which was terrible when you had to bend down a lot to do freight (and if you're in the shoe department). Managers wouldn't back you up in front of customers, they'd tell you one thing over the phone, but when they actually came down to take care of the customer, they'd completely go against everything they just said and make you look...

Advice to Management

close down all your stores and get rid of this sad excuse for a company.

Von Maur2017-09-30

"Sales associate"

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Dunwoody, GA

I worked at Von Maur full-time for more than a year

Pros

Closed on major holidays Hours of operation do not change Store is clean and beautiful Company does prefer to promote from within

Cons

Management never knows anything Employees treated as replaceable Robotic environment Small commission creates a hostile environment Associates can be fired if customers complain even if associate is following company policy

Advice to Management

My advice would be to value your associates yes people are replaceable but quality of associates also important . In addition when issues happen don't just take the information actually solve problems being proactive is better than always reactive.

Von Maur2017-08-31

"Bosses - Not Leaders Here - Micro Management Prevails"

I worked at Von Maur for more than 10 years

Pros

Time and a half - Sundays Closed on Major Holidays Beautiful Store Surroundings

Cons

Poor Micro Management. Disloyal To Employees. Capping Out Salaries Deemed Too High. Poor Communication. If Not Scheduled Saturday Mornings- Will Not Be Allowed To Attend Store Meetings. Mall is dead. No business.

Advice to Management

Learn some people skills - Managers "promoted" from sales associates to floor managers, etc. does not automatically give them proper qualifications to be named a manager. Not enough common sense applied - strict adherence to store policies ( outdated dress code, required to be "on the floor" 7 minutes BEFORE starting shift, longtime employees have been targeted and forced out. Do not treat your employees like...

Von Maur2017-07-21

"Sales Associate"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Normal, IL

I worked at Von Maur full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great Pay for Retail Rewards for customer reviews Time and a half on Sunday All Major Holidays Off

Cons

Absolutely the worst job I have ever had. The management is never happy with what you do, I was the top seller in my department every week for the 6 months I was there and NEVER was that appreciated. I was always told I could do a lot better and that I was nowhere near what the expected of me.

Von Maur2017-05-24