VonChurch Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.5
Jason Hann

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"VonChurch has amazing recruiters!"

Former Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at VonChurch full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This place was a 2 hour commute for me one way, yet I still wanted to make the drive just to work with the team. The atmosphere is amazing as well. If you like Ping pong, video games, free yoga, free lunches, and most importantly a team with the best attitude then this is the place to be. Their HR Director, Cassi is incredibly supportive as well. She really takes care of everyone and tried to make the commute work for me to get me to stay. It was so difficult having to quit, but I know that if I were to ever move closer and if things change where I end up, that I would feel confident coming back to VonChurch without any hesitation. They have a very healthy team environment and that is something you can't just find anywhere.

Cons

The only con was that their office was not located near me, which is why I had to quit. :( That's not their fault though. I should've just moved out of the boonies to make it work. Haha :p There really aren't any cons about VonChurch. I would recommend working there for anyone who wants to get into technical recruiting.

Advice to Management

I like Jason Haan's management style. He knows the business and has had years of experience leading teams to know how to keep people happy and busy. He is a role model to everyone not just because he works hard and always has a plan for success, but he also respects his team's lives outside of work. He is an Iron Man Triathlon participant and is very dedicated to beating his goals both at work and on the training field. People on the team including myself look up to him. Everyone wants to continue working for someone as fun and as mentally focused as him.

Ross Mahhaffey is also the Recruiting Director and I have worked very closely with him as a recruiter. This guy truly loves what he does. His passion is to help change the lives of our candidates looking for something better in their career. He has taught me so much on both the technical and personal side of recruiting that I feel like I can find anyone 10x better than how I used to search for candidates. He has a wealth of knowledge working on all sides of staffing (contract/perm). He knows what's going on in tech and in all the verticals that VonChurch specializes in. He's someone I look up to in this industry. He's sharp and has so much energy to figure out a solution for all of your recruiting challenges. He adds so much value to the team at VonChurch.

My advice to management is to keep doing what you're doing, because everyone is happy at VonChurch. They're finding candidates their dream jobs while enjoying coming to work everyday.

"*My Favorite Company*"

I worked at VonChurch full-time

Pros

-Fantastic culture; very inviting and very much a team environment
    -Top notch training - I walked away learning more from VonChurch than I have in ten years of recruiting experience
    -Incredibly supportive management team
    -Wonderful place to start out a recruiting career
    -Video games all day
    -Ping pong, foos ball, happy hour Fridays
    -Exciting and fun team outings
    -Awesome employees all around

This has been my favorite company I've worked with thus far in my career (and I've worked for some great companies).

Cons

In all honesty and professionalism, there isn't anything I could say that is a con about VonChurch. My experience was fantastic.

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work fellas!

"Started at Vonchurch"

I have been working at VonChurch full-time

Pros

Recently started at Vonchurch, great training program, very thorough and precise to develop skills necessary for the recruitment industry. The culture is awesome, very welcoming and the team is extremely willing to help you find your feet as a recruiter, couldn't be more impressed with the training and team as well as the office space.

Cons

Free beer on Fridays, catered lunches Thursday's, ping pong table in the office and monthly events. There is no cons.

"Account Manager and Recruiter"

Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VonChurch full-time

Pros

Great opportunity to get into Recruiting and technology industry. Truly a sink or swim culture

Cons

Minimal leadership and no retention

Advice to Management

Improve retention

5. "Awesome environment, not a lot of room for growth"

Pros

The people are awesome. You will love coming to work every day solely because you will not stop laughing. I've made some genuinely great friends here. The AMs are actually willing to help you, and even if they're pretty young, they know their stuff. This is a start-up, so it's not for everyone, but if you work hard you will do well.

Cons

It can be a little chaotic, with company/business directions changing every quarter like clockwork. The structure makes it difficult for recruiters to make money, which all goes to the AM (typical of agencies, however). Working hard doesn't always pay off into rewards, we're working with some really difficult clients that makes billing a challenge.

Advice to Management

In such a "loose" environment young bucks who show a lot of promise should be moved into sales sooner, as opposed to meeting a certain quota as law of the land. Raise the base salary and give more support/learning tools and you'll keep recruiters around longer.

6. "New Career Growth Opportunities"

Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VonChurch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture of the office is vibrant, exciting and fun. We are a lean team who enjoy working together on a day to day basis. I knew from the moment I first came through the doors for my interview that I could see myself vibing well.

Recently we had some changes in regards to titles and career growth which were very encouraging. The company is still young and always evolving, so knowing that the changes that were recently made were because of input of employees was refreshing. I only see great things for the future of VonChurch and I look forward to continuing my career here.

Cons

Ramp up time can take a while, but it’s important to see this opportunity as long term. The commission structure is very lucrative and has the potential to earn a person a lot of money, but it won’t happen overnight.

Advice to Management

Continue to listen to the ideas of employees. We understand not everything will be implemented, but knowing that you have an understanding of where we are coming from is reassuring.

7. "Relationship Based Business"

Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Recruiter in San Francisco, CA

I worked at VonChurch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

VonChurch gave me all the tools I needed to be a successful recruiter with the training program, which fortunately didn’t end after the formal two-week training period. I continued to check in with both the Talent Director and my direct manager to make sure I was on track. I felt like the entire team was invested in my success. After my success in recruiting I was able to take on more responsibility in Account Management and have ownership of relationships with clients. The amount of relationships that I was able to foster both internally and externally will help me through my career.

Cons

Sourcing for new candidates can be a bit repetitive, so it’s important to change up your day and the methods you use for finding new candidates. Keep a positive attitude because you’ll hear no a lot more than yes.

Advice to Management

After hitting certain milestones of success, it would be nice to have the option to have a bit more of a flexible schedule. I understand the importance of being in the office and being collaborative with the rest of the team, but recruiting is very much individually driven, too. if I want to make money I know I have to do the work.

"Its a fraternity/sorority version of a Recruiting Agency in SF."

Former Employee - Partner in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Partner in San Francisco, CA

I worked at VonChurch full-time

Pros

Cool Work Environmnet, pinball machine/ ping pong.

Cons

Shallow attitudes. Tend to be concerned about your outfit and how cool you are as much as they are about performance. Its a "what have you done for me lately" culture, not a loyal one.

They will say that a person without the chops to make it and a thick skin in the business shouldn't be at their company for culture fit reasons.

Watch the movie Mean Girls, and then imagine that as a work place.

Advice to Management

Be mature, thought leaders in the space. Focus on reputation as a quality firm, not a sweatshop. 46 current employees and 75 people who have quit or moved on yet have only been around for 6 years. That's 1 person that stays for every 3 that leave.

9. "The only digital entertainment specialized staffing company in the world"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at VonChurch full-time (More than a year)

Pros

unparallelled commission structure, casual fun environment, growth opportunities, trips, small start-up, engineering and design expertise, high quality of candidates

Cons

low base salary is rough, but I guess it's a higher base with low commission, or low base with high commission

Advice to Management

Think about base salary to retain

"Good experience"

Pros

Great people. Cool space. Awesome training. Great way to get into the tech industry.

Cons

Low pay and inflexible work schedule.

Advice to Management

Give more flexibility and treat employees like adults. No one is going to make it off the low base salary alone, so trust that the people who want to be there will be working their ass off to make it work no matter if their at the office or not. Let people take lunch when they want, work from home occasionally, etc...