Vonage Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated September 8, 2017

1.0
Alan Masarek

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Weekly work from home opportunities (in 12 reviews)

• The work environment is very positive and lively (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • There is rarely any room for advancement (in 7 reviews)

• because of their obsolete call center metrics system, several people straight up quit (in 12 reviews)

"CONFLICTING DIRECTIONS"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holmdel, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holmdel, NJ

I worked at Vonage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great physical place to work in Holmdel! Lunch stipend of $100 per month to use in the cafe and free snacks and drinks available daily.

Lots of good people work there and have pleasant work environment.

Fitness center and classes are top notch.

Cons

Too many layoffs of really good people with tons of company history that just get walked out the front door. The revolving door at Vonage is spinning faster than ever.

Advice to Management

Seriously consider your employees and clean up the HR mess. HR department is hideous. Unable to answer questions in a timely manner and full of "generalists".

Too many jobs outsourced.

"House of cards...join only if you have no other choice."

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Holmdel, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Holmdel, NJ

I worked at Vonage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good people still in the company (however, they are leaving fast)
    Cafeteria credit
    Nice campus
    Can make an impact if you are in the right role

Cons

From the knee-jerk decisions being made (e.g. 6 months in between major layoffs, after 2 years of layoffs before that) its clear the management has no real plan or roadmap.

Very unstable environment with many people, even new hires, afraid to loose their jobs.

Very difficult to get promoted - even its clear that someone has achieved and is actively doing the role.

No recognition for hard work or even a "thank you". Its on to the next fire drill.

Clear favorites in the organization that are rewarded while others are not.

One of the worst run HR departments that I've seen.

Advice to Management

Whatever you are inclined to do, do the opposite. Each decision has been more disastrous than the next.

Recognize the toxic work culture you have created and fix it.

Stop playing favorites and treat each department as equally as valuable.

3. "Sexist & Discriminatory Management"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Vonage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work environment, Benefits, Facility, Flex Hours

Cons

Waterfall Development, Software Development Management

Advice to Management

Overhaul upper management in the Business Solutions division.

"Stay away! Far from a destination place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holmdel, NJ

I have been working at Vonage full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

At the current time and culture there are no benefit to working at Vonage.

Cons

Constant lay offs. Management lacks the knowledge to know who is vital until they get rid of them. The culture used to be about family / work life balance and now everyone is a number. If you are there more then 10 years you have a target on your back. This is not the Vonage that we started with. The culture sucks and everyone is out to save themselves.

Advice to Management

STOP treating employees as a number and realize we have lives. Maybe the CEO should know the people who helped build the business that is lining his pockets are the ones who are being let go and the snakes who saved themselves are now the ones in charge. Management who lacks knowledge of the business are who is remaining. The business is a sinking ship and if you want a future this is far from a destination place to work.

"Company Not As Advertised - Be Cautious"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holmdel, NJ

I have been working at Vonage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Lower and mid level employees are caring and enjoyable to work with
    - Campus is nice (many amenities)
    - $100 cafeteria food credit per month

Cons

I've been at Vonage for around 10 months and it definitely has not been advertised by HR or the management I interviewed with:

- Company morale is as bad as I have ever seen in my 15 year career. Everyone is afraid of their jobs after many rounds of company wide down-sizing

- I've seen employees hired after me lose their jobs in down-sizing. Others that have been there for 10 years - so it makes no difference

- To make it worse, management is aggressively touting a "destination workplace" and "employee first", but its really a half-hearted effort (some new furniture, a lego wall, etc)

- Advancement opportunities are extremely limited as profitability seems to be the #1 driver

Advice to Management

I appreciate that you've been honest about some of what happening - but in reality you've completely lost credibility by talking out of both sides of the mouth. Its impossible to be a destination workplace or employee first if its clear that you don't honestly care about the employees. Its dishonest to state that employees come first above all, when profitability is really the #1 driver. My advice:

-Just be honest with yourself and your employees. We understand that the company must make money and there is a transition - but please don't underestimate our intelligence.

- Forecast better. It's just screams that things are not together when there are multiple rounds of layoffs hitting the same departments in such a short while.

- Start rebuilding trust by doing things that make this a true employee first workplace...like the companies that you are striving to be. Unfortunately those things cost alot of money - or everyone would do it.

- Recognize that morale is bad. Really bad. While it probably hasn't impacted anything significant yet, it will. There needs to be a new trajectory.

6. "Seriously, Run the other way"

Current Employee - Network Engineer in Holmdel, NJ
    Current Employee - Network Engineer in Holmdel, NJ

I have been working at Vonage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Unless you work at HQ, there are no Pros to working at Vonage.

Cons

1) Continuous Layoffs - Layoffs at least once a year and the individuals they layoff seem to be completely random.
    2) Backstabbing Culture - The best backstabber gets the promotion.
    3) Severally Understaffed - Operational IT Support is non-existent.
    4) Middle Management - Clueless and mostly micromanagers, most got there through being good at #2.

7. "Tech Support Rep"

I worked at Vonage full-time

Pros

nice peers on the floor and that's about it

Cons

you gonna be slammed with calls all day , when something breaks (which happens every week) you the only one who gets the heat and ugly mouths from customers

Advice to Management

well managers are jokes, they don't care about people when you asking something for you that will never happens, they only cares about numbers.

Just take care about your Reps (they are the ones who do 80% of the company work)

"Sales"

Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Senior Sales Executive in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Vonage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Absolutely None! I have never in my life seen or been apart of a sales team that acts like these guys. It starts from the team from Icore they are a bunch of idiots unprofessional liars no potential there ways are outdated and overbearing

Cons

hours, time mgmnt, they micro manage at its finest

Advice to Management

too late
    fire all past Icore people

9. "Outbound SDR"

Former Employee - Outbound Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Outbound Sales Representative in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Vonage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Free snacks and drinks. Company events with the other departments. Beer fridays. Working with young people. The training is great shoutout to Eric Matthews (only trainer so far in any job that I have ever had that takes his job serious and actually passionate in what he does. Wish I had him before. Even others who have worked at Vonage have said they consider him to be the best. Give that guy a raise!)
    My supervisor was really good at his job to and took the time to train you. He needs a promotion and also thought his british accent was great! Lions is the best team and they have the best SDRs too versus anybody else.
    They give you laptop to take home which is kind of cool.
    Work from home if you meet your numbers.
    Introduced to new technologies
    Meet cool people

Cons

Crappy pay hourly. Hard to meet your numbers and even worse when closers send your leads back so you dont get paid. Hard to make decent money.
    There are no raises at all. During my interview the sales manager there were raises and bonuses. That was a lie.
    Not even the team leads who have more responsibility get a raise. $14.33 hourly (what a joke)
    There are 2 other supervisors that are bad at their job. One rides a scooter all day and antagonizes people for no reason. Lots of people dislike him. Jumps into your conversation with a customer thinking he is helping you out but making it worse. Doesnt train his newcomers well. Had a new employee complain that he was called out by him at his first meeting for not producing and he was barely 2 days old on the floor. Guy felt threatened by it. He can try to make up some low rated speech about whatever but it doesnt hide from the truth.
    The other girl supervisor just sits there all day and usually isnt in the office. Always "working from home". Doesnt train team well either.
    There is no sense of responsiblity in the job and you do the same thing everyday all day which is a huge drag.
    There is a huge turnover rate weekly. Last time I was there 9 people quit in one day. Previous week 3 people quit. Hard on the team to keep morale up as people give up. If you are not comfortable calling businesses and getting denied 99.9% of the time this isnt a job for you.
    There is no room to move up. Getting promotions is impossible as they need a bigger staff but people keep quitting. They only pick favorites so if your not a suck up than you will stay where you at.
    There have been people there for 2 years and never been promoted. Others who have been there less than 6 months have been given a chance before them which is a shame and a low blow.
    Sneaky management. Be careful.

Advice to Management

Promote your long tenure hard working staff. Not just pick favorites.
    Pay better hourly so people will actually stay.
    Dont think that food and drinks will mask the truth from what really goes on in the office.
    This whole article is the truth and nothing but the truth.

10. "CSR"

I have been working at Vonage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay, benefits, 401k, coworkers,free parking

Cons

No growth, no structure