Vonage Reviews | Glassdoor

Vonage Reviews

Updated June 10, 2017

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Alan Masarek

Pros
  • Great people co-workers quickly became friends (in 11 reviews)

• On-site gym, meal card and cafe, friendly work environment, some room to lead in your area of expertise, ok benefits, some company sponsored events (in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • They haven't been able to hire good candidates as no one wants to join (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management is transparent about layoffs, not concerned with preserving talent (in 11 reviews)

1. "Mid level management needs to get better"

Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Holmdel, NJ
    Current Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Holmdel, NJ

I have been working at Vonage (Less than a year)

Pros

Top management is trying its best to take the company forward.
    Has grown in business space

Cons

Unclear about the projects that they want to carry forward. Never complete nor retire any of the legacy projects

2. "Finance Dept. /Collections"

Former Intern - Collections Specialist in Holmdel, NJ
    Former Intern - Collections Specialist in Holmdel, NJ

I worked at Vonage as an intern (More than 8 years)

Pros

Gained valuable customer srvice and management experience

Cons

Limited career advancement opportunities available.

Advice to Management

An upward bound program is needed for career minded individuals.

"Nice place but a bit underwhelmed"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holmdel, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Holmdel, NJ

I have been working at Vonage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I will say this, Vonage has been by far the most diverse company I have worked for in my entire career. They clearly make an effort balance ethnicities, gender, and people with disabilities in more predominant roles.

The campus is colorful and nice. Not much else to do around the location so they try to compensate by providing volleyball, basketball, and other recreational items.

They acquired Nexmo which seems like it should just be Vonage 2.0

Generally, the people overall are friendly....unless...

Cons

They are in time of transition where a bunch of people were let go and I was one of the first wave of replacements. This being the case the some of the dev team leadership have been less than helpful, and in some cases outright conniving.

Some are clearly dissatisfied with the direction of the company yet lack the initiative to look elsewhere for work. So they mope around and make excuses not to think forward or be proactive in their current role.

There appears to be a power struggle between two dev teams which causes politics, gossip, and distractions.

Since the day one I have yet to see what the actual vision of the company is and where I sit in the grand scheme of things. It seems like we're blindly building products that might not hold any real value for the future.

The leadership will throw out tech buzz words loosely when it's clear that no one who has been at Vonage for the past three years actually have experience building anything AI, IOT, or innovative.

Advice to Management

My experience with the senior management has been limited so I will say, in fairness, that they should invest in management training (heavily).

There needs to be a clear vision, defined, and reported down with transparency instead of managing upward.

Stop reading the news and be the news.

4. "former empolyee"

Former Employee - Agent in Holmdel, NJ
    Former Employee - Agent in Holmdel, NJ

I worked at Vonage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

benefits, free snacks, meal cards, gym and game room

Cons

communication, management, and communication, laid offs

"Making the transition to a technology company"

Current Employee - Software Developer II in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Software Developer II in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at Vonage full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits, fair amount of FDO, access to a large pool of resources due to the size of the company, lot of places to work and lots of opportunity to change roles within the company. Additionally, Vonage is really making an effort to make the shift from a consumer telephone company to a multi-market communications technology company, and are very open to new ideas and new technology.

Cons

Because of this transition, there is a lot of confusion over process, especially since different parts of the company are using various forms of project managment. Most of the company has a waterfall mind-set, and this causes a lot of pain for the technology branch of the company that is trying to make the transformation to agile workflows. My experience has typically been that process is favored over productivity. This is partly due to the fact that a company value is unity, and getting everybody into the same workflow is part of the working out of that value. So this is a good and a bad thing, but there are a lot of growing pains nonetheless.

Advice to Management

I would highly recommend that if unity is truly a value at Vonage, that you guys focus on good communication and mentoring for your upper and middle management. All of the bad things that I've experienced at Vonage could be easily solved by a quick 5 minute phone call with someone giving me a heads-up, or a department meeting to discuss an overview to a new process change. Additionally, things break down when some of the company is speaking in terms of story points, and other parts of the company are talking about milestones. Everybody has to buy in to the project management technique of choice, or the disparity causes more harm than good.

6. "Company moving in great direction, workload is put on sales team"

Current Employee - Cloud Solutions Account Executive in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Cloud Solutions Account Executive in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

Monday-Friday. Great office environment. Fairly autonomous workload. Knowledge sales managers. 401k matched 50% up to 6k. Good benefits. Accommodating when asking for time off

Cons

Long hours, 50+. Field sales so you put a ton of miles on your car (400-500) for me. Very hard sale to make. Goal is two sales per month.

"Bow to the queen"

Former Employee - Technical Manager in Jackson, NJ
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in Jackson, NJ

I worked at Vonage (More than 10 years)

Pros

I collaborated with some extremely bright technical folks who are passionate about their work. The main campus is a great facility with numerous amenities. Holmdel employees are given a $100 stipend per month to spend in the cafeteria.

Cons

CEO talks the talk of making this a destination place to work, and has implemented positive changes, but some senior management under him are not aligned. Old regimes still exist and if you don't bow to the queen and acknowledge her greatness, you will be gone. The company facilities now have the appearance of an environment of what could be a cool place to work. Unfortunately, use of the stuff is frowned upon by some senior management who don't believe in these type of motivational tactics. Lay-offs have become too common and some of those charged with targeting the staff to lay-off are the ones that need to go.

Advice to Management

Are you a destination place to work or a place that uses fear and threats as a means of motivation? Get your ducks in a row because this split personality is not working well.

"Great People, Lot of Politics"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at Vonage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic people, great work-life balance, pretty low stress for a callcenter situation. Company is headed in a positive direction despite the amount of politics. Great first job/foot-in-the-door to networking.

Cons

A LOT of politics, new positions past entry level are very slow to open even when there is a need, seniority is not as valuable as it should be, management staff in ATL great but usually overruled/outvoted on good ideas by home office. No incentive for high performance.

Advice to Management

Actually promote your employees instead of leaving them in a 'developmental role' for 6+ months which is code for "the last guy left so you do his work plus yours and you get the same amount of money/job title". That is exactly how you lose good people.

9. "Good"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

Pros

it was good, lots of team work

Cons

nothing bad that I can remember

Advice to Management

keep doing you

10. "Retention Agent"

Former Employee - Regention Agent in Holmdel, NJ
    Former Employee - Regention Agent in Holmdel, NJ

I worked at Vonage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Commision with salary, with incentives added

Cons

Travel distance, employees are let laid off if not making sales quota for 3 months

Advice to Management

Outsourcing to Philippines. We have millions of Americans that need jobs. Hire in the USA