Voortman Cookies Independent Distributor Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

"Tough advancement"

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Voortman Cookies (Less than a year)

Pros

Independence. Freedom to run your route the way you want to run it.

Cons

There is a ceiling on what one person can accomplish, and a strong income is impossible after factoring in vehicle cost to run the route.

Voortman Cookies Response

Nov 6, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for your feedback. Voortman Cookies is committed to developing strong support for our distribution network to enable them to grow sales. There are many factors that determine a ... More

2. "dont recommend anybody working for voortman cookies"

Former Freelancer - Route Sales Independent Distributor in Fayetteville, NC
    Former Freelancer - Route Sales Independent Distributor in Fayetteville, NC

I worked at Voortman Cookies (More than 5 years)

Pros

you work independently work your own hours and days management does not get on your back

Cons

you only make 16% commission minus your stales limited shelf space in stores no support from management nor company your stales average 15 - 25 % weekly no advertising or coupons to support product high turnover rate with distributors no equity in your routes average sales of routes are between $1,000 - $5,000 minus the stales the new distributors pick up which end up you owing the company. right now their is 50 - 60 vacant or open routes in the USA you cant make a living bringing home $200 - $300 a week in commission after expenses and credits. management deceive and lie to prospective distributors and pad sale figures

Advice to Management

replace all regional and district managers they are lazy they lie and most doesn't have much experience as a manager

"I have been a Distributor for Voortman Cookies for one year, and am very happy I made the choice."

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Voortman Cookies is a first class company with a superior product line. You are operating your own business, and the sky is the limit for your success. I took a route that was not doing very well, and have built it up in a very short time by servicing all my accounts on a regular basis, and getting more space, especially in the Wal Marts in the form of Saddlebags, SBE'S..Saddle bag Extensions, and Cube's. You start early each morning, but finish early. If you need to take off a day or two, you can do so with no problem. I have a great District Manager, and a great Regional Manager, that are very helpful to me. You can make a good living with Voortman Cookies. If you are a people person with good communication skills, you will have great success with this company.

Cons

no cons at all. We could benefit from more advertising in the Southern States, I understand it is on the way.

Voortman Cookies Response

Nov 6, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for your favorable review! Strong work ethic while driving for displays is great advice for any up and coming Voortman distributor. We continue to develop and improve our platform ... More

"Voortman Cookies is a good company to work for"

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, vacations. Your basic salary is on commission, and depending on how much effort you put into it is what you get out of it. We have been with the company for 7 years,and it does support our household bills and a little extra, depending on your route size. Voortman is a good company to work for, we enjoy it !!!

Cons

Trying to get displays from your stores is challenging at times. The way the economy is also has an effect on your sales.

Advice to Management

cap on waste factor,possible longer settlement periods.

"I have been a Voortman distributor for more than a decade and am happy I made the choice to join the team."

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to be an independent entrepreneur, Solid stable company, Strong support from management,
    Great people to work with!

Cons

Retail environment is more challenging then it was 10 years ago. Building a bottom line is a standard
    challenge of business today including Voortman

Advice to Management

Continue evolving and searching for more opportunity in the marketplace

"Overall it's been good"

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Selling a quality product. Routes are affordable compared to some other dsd routes. Most of the managers I've dealt with over the years are good people. Company introduces new products almost every year. If you are willing to work your route you can make a decent income.

Cons

Smaller company so it can be a struggle fighting the big guys for space in stores.

Advice to Management

Reinstate some type of bonus system to reward and retain your good distributors. Allow routes to sell for more it's a great incentive to build up routes. The cookies are delicious! Do more sampling to let the consumer know this, especially in new areas.

"Business ownership, supplying quality products to your local supermarkets with affordable operating cost."

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are the business owner. You must be a self-starter because your income is determined on how hard you want to work. Building relationships in your accounts will open opportunities for displaying your merchandise in high traffic areas creating more sales and a higher income. Voortman makes the headquarter calls, gets the items authorized and sets up all the promotions, you just follow the monthly planner and create extra sales in your geographic area.

Cons

There are some challenges associated with business ownership; you wear a lot of hats, salesman, delivery driver, stocker, inventory control, purchasing, and problem solver. When you do all that you must have great time skills to accomplish everything, and unless you have someone to run your business for you it’s hard to get away for more than a few days in a row.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if the company had a relief person, that knew how to run a route, in each region. That person would be very helpful to all distributors who just wanted a little vacation once in a while and not worry about their business

"Many better route choices for owner operators"

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Orlando, FL

I have been working at Voortman Cookies part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a good route person, you can work at half effort and they will praise your sales increases and ability (my present situation). They have such poor route people that even at half effort I can beat most. Not bragging, just pointing out how low their standards are because they tend to not attract very good route people for the most part. I work no more then 20-25 hours a week as I do something else. Very good product.

Cons

Charge you for displays unlike any other route out there. Their meetings are hilarious. They claim to care about their Voortman family and say prayers at the meetings but they don't really care about you. Words are cheap. If they really cared and wanted to get good route people they would do something like pep. Farm does. Routes are bought and sold at different prices according to the area. So a area like South Carolina might be assigned a value of 15 times weekly sales while a area like New Jersey might be 30-40 times. Pep farm routes can be bought for just 10-15% down. When you are done you have something you can live with and obviously since the routes are worth real money you actually put effort into it, not like these part time Voortman routes. They cap everyone at 4 times! Then they would get full time route people who could really boost this company but it will never happen unfortunately. I will be out soon after building my route multiple times at half effort. It would have been interesting to know how much I could have got my route up to if they made it worthwhile.

Advice to Management

Hire managers to replace you that have actual route experience that may fix your route mess. I hope someone in Canada someday realizes how much they are losing by most distributors not working full time or if they do work full time not real hard because there is no money to look forward to here. Put yourself in a distributors shoes. Please don't say the route is "affordable" like someone did to another post. Your best route people want to get into a route worth money so if they increase it they are well compensated. I can increase my route $3,000 (I have done that with part time effort by the way) at Voortman I can look forward to $12000 more then I paid. At pep farm or any other route co. I would be looking at $60,000-$150,000!! Where would you go? Would you stay here for 20-25 years and retire with $20,000? I can make more the I do at Voortman working a route for other companies with full benefits included and a 401k. I have nothing to look forward to here. It's too late for me but if you want good people and keep the few good ones you do have fix your system.

"Best Job To Have"

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Anniston, AL
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Anniston, AL

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work/life balance. You get what you put into it. Very little investment to start. I took a route that wasn't doing very much and within a year turned it around easily and started making great money. I am my own boss and can take off when ever I want to do whatever I want. I have a great boss who is always asking how he can help me and always does. I can't say enough about how much I love this job and the freedom it allows me.

Cons

Not enough advertisement as of yet for a great brand. Need TV commercials. But I hear those are coming.

Advice to Management

None. So far Upper management has been great and helpful at all levels.

"Distributor and BUYER BEWARE"

Current Employee - Independent Distributor
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time

Pros

There are none that I can think of besides the 3 day work week.

Cons

Tried to sell my route and they made up a problem with my buyer not living in the city of the route even though my buyer was looking at properties to buy here in town. My buyer is angry because they have pulled their credit score down when checking the credit and caused the wasted time of many to process the 6 references they require. Its a company that is stuck in the 1950's. They have done ALL that they can to keep us on as SLAVES. The routes are not that profitable and the DM is KING. As a distributor, you have NO rights. When it is time to sell, you won't get much of anything for your route.