Voortman Cookies Reviews | Glassdoor

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Douglas MacFarlane
1 Rating

"Director National Accts - USA"

Current Employee - Director, USA National Accounts in Waterloo, WI
    Current Employee - Director, USA National Accounts in Waterloo, WI

I have been working at Voortman Cookies (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

None it is a great company

Advice to Management

None

2. "Not enough support"

Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Pensacola, FL
    Former Employee - Route Sales Representative in Pensacola, FL

I worked at Voortman Cookies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Independent... no one breathing down your neck everyday.

Cons

no credit for stales... have to buy your own displays.

Advice to Management

give $1 off coupons to help distributors move through close dated merchandise. pay walmart to have 4 ft. wooden racks placed in all there stores.

"Hopeful for change"

Current Employee - Route Sales in Phila, PA
    Current Employee - Route Sales in Phila, PA

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

New owners so we hope they will run the company as needed to improve sales. Cookies are good and they deliver to distributors. Have extended product payment requirements and enabled us to carry more product so we don't run out.

Cons

No store ads. No payment for ends or space in stores. Current local managers for the most part are a joke. No real effort to get into stores we do not service and managers will not spend the time to increase sales by going into these accounts. Increasing our inventory will increase sales slightly but not significantly. Charge you for displays!!! Cannot have real route people buy routes because they actually limit what you sell a route for to just 4 times!

Advice to Management

They need local ads, coupons, pay for space and have managers approach all of the accounts we do not service if they want to see big increases. Fix route pricing to improve to attract better people. Free displays? Put GPS systems in your vans that managers and regional managers drive to keep track of what they do. You will be surprised at how much time they actually work.

"Tough advancement"

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Voortman Cookies (Less than a year)

Pros

Independence. Freedom to run your route the way you want to run it.

Cons

There is a ceiling on what one person can accomplish, and a strong income is impossible after factoring in vehicle cost to run the route.

Voortman Cookies Response

Nov 6, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for your feedback. Voortman Cookies is committed to developing strong support for our distribution network to enable them to grow sales. There are many factors that determine a ... More

"Franchise owner"

Former Employee - Franchise Owner in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Franchise Owner in Dallas, TX

Pros

None to speak of
    Expect very little support from the top

Cons

Misled by management from the beginning
    They will charge you for everything you can think of
    Many expenses and very little volume
    Stay far away from this company!

Advice to Management

Take a clue from other successful companies.

"I have been a Distributor for Voortman Cookies for one year, and am very happy I made the choice."

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Montgomery, AL
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Montgomery, AL

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Voortman Cookies is a first class company with a superior product line. You are operating your own business, and the sky is the limit for your success. I took a route that was not doing very well, and have built it up in a very short time by servicing all my accounts on a regular basis, and getting more space, especially in the Wal Marts in the form of Saddlebags, SBE'S..Saddle bag Extensions, and Cube's. You start early each morning, but finish early. If you need to take off a day or two, you can do so with no problem. I have a great District Manager, and a great Regional Manager, that are very helpful to me. You can make a good living with Voortman Cookies. If you are a people person with good communication skills, you will have great success with this company.

Cons

no cons at all. We could benefit from more advertising in the Southern States, I understand it is on the way.

Voortman Cookies Response

Nov 6, 2015 – Representative

Thank you for your favorable review! Strong work ethic while driving for displays is great advice for any up and coming Voortman distributor. We continue to develop and improve our platform ... More

"Voortman Cookies is a good company to work for"

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Joliet, IL
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Joliet, IL

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Flexible hours, vacations. Your basic salary is on commission, and depending on how much effort you put into it is what you get out of it. We have been with the company for 7 years,and it does support our household bills and a little extra, depending on your route size. Voortman is a good company to work for, we enjoy it !!!

Cons

Trying to get displays from your stores is challenging at times. The way the economy is also has an effect on your sales.

Advice to Management

cap on waste factor,possible longer settlement periods.

"I have been a Voortman distributor for more than a decade and am happy I made the choice to join the team."

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Detroit, MI
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Detroit, MI

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to be an independent entrepreneur, Solid stable company, Strong support from management,
    Great people to work with!

Cons

Retail environment is more challenging then it was 10 years ago. Building a bottom line is a standard
    challenge of business today including Voortman

Advice to Management

Continue evolving and searching for more opportunity in the marketplace

"Overall it's been good"

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Selling a quality product. Routes are affordable compared to some other dsd routes. Most of the managers I've dealt with over the years are good people. Company introduces new products almost every year. If you are willing to work your route you can make a decent income.

Cons

Smaller company so it can be a struggle fighting the big guys for space in stores.

Advice to Management

Reinstate some type of bonus system to reward and retain your good distributors. Allow routes to sell for more it's a great incentive to build up routes. The cookies are delicious! Do more sampling to let the consumer know this, especially in new areas.

"Business ownership, supplying quality products to your local supermarkets with affordable operating cost."

Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Independent Distributor in Denver, CO

I have been working at Voortman Cookies full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You are the business owner. You must be a self-starter because your income is determined on how hard you want to work. Building relationships in your accounts will open opportunities for displaying your merchandise in high traffic areas creating more sales and a higher income. Voortman makes the headquarter calls, gets the items authorized and sets up all the promotions, you just follow the monthly planner and create extra sales in your geographic area.

Cons

There are some challenges associated with business ownership; you wear a lot of hats, salesman, delivery driver, stocker, inventory control, purchasing, and problem solver. When you do all that you must have great time skills to accomplish everything, and unless you have someone to run your business for you it’s hard to get away for more than a few days in a row.

Advice to Management

It would be nice if the company had a relief person, that knew how to run a route, in each region. That person would be very helpful to all distributors who just wanted a little vacation once in a while and not worry about their business