Vorys Sater Seymour and Pease Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.7
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Russell M. Gertmenian

1. "Challenging Work, Great Workplace Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Vorys Sater Seymour and Pease full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Vorys is a firm that encourages and supports you to grow as a professional. The firm's management truly cares about the development of their people, both the administrative staff and the attorneys. I enjoy the many opportunities to collaborate on projects within my department and with other departments at the firm. Lastly, I appreciate the "roll up your sleeves and work" mentality of the administrative management.

Cons

There are few "cons" that I have experienced at the firm. Excellence is a core value at Vorys, so there are high standards to be met....some may find this challenging but many employees, myself included, appreciate it.

Advice to Management

Continue to support the charitable organizations in our communities. The difference we make on these initiatives makes me proud to be an employee.

2. "Staff attorney"

Current Employee - Senior Attorney in Columbus, OH
    Current Employee - Senior Attorney in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Vorys Sater Seymour and Pease full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Challenging work environment that forces you to grow and improve as an attorney. Great clients many opportunities to work on interesting projects.

Cons

Higher level attorneys frequently bog down into non-substantive side issues and distractions. There is also little to no reward for positive performance and no reward for client development. Aside from the chance to win a trip to Europe, there are no benefits to speak for an attorney.

Advice to Management

Determine the difference between substantive issues and non-substantive issues. Find a way to reward younger attorneys for contributing to client development. Join the 21st century and start giving semi-competitive bonuses.

"It's OK"

Former Employee - Secretary
    Former Employee - Secretary

I worked at Vorys Sater Seymour and Pease full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Mostly nice co-workers, good pay, good technology. Nice events for employees.

Cons

Poor HR management and not necessarily honest with employees. Some employees get away with harassing other employees. Some employees that have been around forever are dead meat and don't contribute to firm, but are kept employed. Some of the attorneys are rather arrogant and condescending.

Advice to Management

Appreciate the good workers you have and get people in HR who are really qualified to deal with your employees.

5. "Great People; Lots of Opportunity"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Columbus, OH

I have been working at Vorys Sater Seymour and Pease full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

It's quickly obvious how much Vorys' attorneys take pride in their work. That easily transfers over to the support staff as well. If you are committed to working hard, the firm provides plenty of room for advancement and great benefits. They provide the Seymour Trip -- which sends a number of staff to Europe each year. In the Columbus office, they host a number of fun events throughout the year to raise money for charitable initiatives throughout the community. It feels much like a family here.

Cons

I can't think of very many negatives about this place. They expect a lot from their employees, but they also reward handsomely.

Advice to Management

Over the past 100 years, it is obvious that the organization has been run with great values. Please never stop that.

6. "They treat you like family"

I have been working at Vorys Sater Seymour and Pease full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Vorys is the best place that I have ever worked. They allow flexible work schedules when personal/family issues come up. Also - the lawyers are some of the most dedicated people I have met. They go all our for their clients.

Cons

You are expected to produce quality work product, but I don't necessarily see this as a con.

7. "My experience"

Pros

I had interesting work mostly

Cons

There is a high demand on quality performance

"staff attorney"

Current Employee - Staff Attorney
    Current Employee - Staff Attorney

Pros

Descent salary for non-track associate position.

Cons

There is very little opportunity for advancement if not hired on partner track. No benefits. Billable hour expectation for non-track associates are the same as on-track associates for a fraction of the pay.

Advice to Management

At least act like you value your people.

9. "Terrible Place to Work"

Former Employee - Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH
    Former Employee - Paralegal in Cincinnati, OH

I worked at Vorys Sater Seymour and Pease full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Poor pay

Cons

Paralegals are treated as disposable cogs.

10. "Not good at all"

Former Employee - Project Assistant in Schwenksville Branch Post Office, PA
    Former Employee - Project Assistant in Schwenksville Branch Post Office, PA

Pros

really great work hours that suit you

Cons

poor conditions, don't get treat well

Advice to Management

improve facilities

11. "Review"

Pros

Great benefits. Friendly work environment. Management of the Cincinnati Office was excellent.

Cons

None that I can think of