Vox Media Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Vox Media Chairman & CEO Jim Bankoff
Jim Bankoff

Pros
  • Great people and office, very innovative company (in 6 reviews)

• A great place to start a career (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Pay for local part time editors is low, the amount of work is high (in 4 reviews)

• There is not enough hours to work their full-time, so the opportunities to move up are very limited (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"All about the people"

I have been working at Vox Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love coming to work every day because I'm surrounded by people who care. A lot. And it's not like they only care about their own careers or propping up their own ambitions - they care about political issues, human issues, the arts, their colleagues. People, culture are top notch.

401k match!

Flex work policies.

Really good sense of control over work vs life. I can set my own "work/life equilibrium" which might be a bit different from my colleagues' or my boss's.

There's just a general feeling of happiness here. Probably because the company treats us like adults, and with compassion. I truly feel taken care of by this company.

The CEO.

The new office in New York is amazing. DC office is also amazing. San Francisco, as far as I know, is also amazing.

Cons

It's a media company ... writers get paid what writers everywhere get paid (barely enough to live in NYC).

Career growth is there, but it's not well defined. You have to be willing to take your career into your own hands, and if you do, you'll get where you want to be.

Advice to Management

Thank you for listening to us. Thanks to Jim for being a model citizen. I'm an extremely white male, and I'm driven to think about diversity issues because the company cares so much about it - so thanks for that. Continue to care about your employees, and the rest will take care of itself.

Let's not get so big or clunky that we lose our soul!

Keep hiring for quality, because the quality of the people here is at the root of everything we have accomplished.

Mar 10, 2017 – Sr. Director, People & Culture

Thank you for your feedback and we're glad you're happy here! We do have some pretty amazing talent that we're really proud of. It's our employees that drive the company forward and fuel our ... More

2. "National Account Director"

I have been working at Vox Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and office, very innovative company

Cons

Not enough support in satellite offices

Advice to Management

Provide more resources to support all verticals

3. "Great, awesome!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at Vox Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great, place. Good working environment.

Cons

Slow elevators and no building gym.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

"Unimpressed"

Current Employee - Senior Account Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Vox Media (More than a year)

Pros

New office space with free snacks like pretzels, cereal, nuts and seltzer. Young environment. Solid account managers and nice guy at the front desk.

Cons

Management from the top down is by far the worst part of the company. Leaders lack any type of motivation, skill and vision. Everyone is out for themselves and unable ever see the bigger picture. It is a very uninspiring environment with little to no growth potential for employees that weren't at the company from the start. Nepotism is huge and unfair here.

Managers and leaders don't seem to want to change either. Having hardly any higher level client relationships or presence in the ad community seems to be ok with them. They rest on the laurels of a few good senior sellers. It also seems the more attitude you have and the nastier you are the higher you achieve and the higher you are viewed here.

Advice to Management

Hire more inspiring, skilled and experienced leaders soon.

May 15, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for the candid feedback; we’re glad you like the new office and many of your colleagues. The executives take feedback like this very seriously and we have shared this with other leaders ... More

"Fun company, inexperienced revenue management"

Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Marketing in New York, NY

I have been working at Vox Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fun company to be a part of and terrific product and editorial teams that make it all worth being a part of at the end. Jim Bankoff is a really smart and good leader.

Cons

Where to start. As some of the previous reviews have stated, morale on the sales and marketing (especially the marketing) teams are extremely low and getting lower. Management at the top of these organizations are too busy trying to appease the C-suite and self-promote their own careers while the rest of the teams suffer from misguided direction, some general ineptitude that other media companies are beating us at, and the result is suboptimal work.

We have a chief marketing officer who likes to parachute in at the last minute of a project and upend everything so that we all have to spend more time fixing something that should have been looked at weeks ago, who is telling us that because we missed last year's revenue goals that we need to work harder and focus on new initiatives, is quick to pass blame to her subordinates, and has us working on vanity projects that only improve her own status internally and externally.

On the sales side, we just simply need more senior talent and more adults at an executive level.

It seems like every week we're going through a new reorg. Once or twice that's fine. But if it's happening this frequently then the problem isn't with the people it's the capabilities of the leadership.

Advice to Management

Reassess who you have running your sales and marketing. They're burning us out and it's causing people to leave and suboptimal execution of client work which is maybe why we don't win awards.

May 15, 2017 – Talent Acquisition Manager

Thank you for your feedback. We share your pride in our product, editorial teams and CEO. We offer many outlets for you and others to provide feedback directly to the company which is more ... More

"Too Big, Too Fast"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Vox Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Vox Media is a millennial-minded, well-known company. A great place to start a career. Great benefits and the attention to diversity is second to none.

Cons

Mid-level and senior-level management are completely disorganized. The company has grown too quickly and is having a hard time keeping up with its own pace. If it doesn't get out of its own way soon or get acquired, they might be setting themselves up for failure. Would not currently recommend working here if you are mid- or late career.

Advice to Management

Train your management ASAP. You have a lot of young, raw talent, but they are in dire need of guidance and a professional edge. The message Vox Media sells in this media market is wonderful, support what you're producing by strengthening your internal foundation - quickly.

Mar 13, 2017 – Sr. Director, People & Culture

Thank you for the feedback. We take it seriously and hope you also raised any concerns in our quarterly employee survey and/or to your own leadership or Business Partner. Vox Media has grown ... More

"Account Director"

Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Director in New York, NY

I have been working at Vox Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There are lots of products to sell across the board at Vox. They seem to reward success and drive in sales.

Cons

Lack of upper management relationships with clients directly. Rates are high compared to industry averages.

Advice to Management

Help knock down doors for your sellers and focus less on things that are in the pipe but never seem to come to fruition.

9. "Great company, lots of momentum"

Former Employee - Senior Account Director in Brooklyn, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Account Director in Brooklyn, NY

I worked at Vox Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Executive leadership, People, product and innovation. Best company in the digital media industry.

Cons

Nothing but love for this place. There's lots of products and materials so can be overwhelming and difficult to be an expert in anyone product

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Aug 12, 2016 – Sr. Director, People & Culture

Thanks! We appreciate your feedback and are happy that you had a great experience at Vox Media!

10. "Product team member"

Current Employee - Product Team in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Product Team in Washington, DC

I have been working at Vox Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great environment
    -Decent hours
    -Attractive coworkers
    - Great Location

Cons

-pay could be better
    -more opportunity for advancement

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

"A start up thats growing up"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

This company has incredible potential and some amazing leadership figures within the company. Theres opportunity for those that can focus on what needs to get done, embrace change and do it all with a positive & supportive attitude.

The culture is very progressive and inclusive, there is a huge effort to diversify teams and build atmospheres where people can be themselves.

Good talent flocks to Vox and you'll meet some of the most incredible people of your career and build relationships that will carry a lifetime. The energy is infectious in the best way possible, imagine a room of people fired up to be the best and deliver at the highest quality in their respective areas. This is 80% of Vox Media.

Journalism is taken seriously here and a painstaking amount of thought goes into how to be a business without compromising its ethos.

Cons

-Support is very light among most teams outside of product and I'm sure even their team feels under supported in some ways. Organizational debt is a very real thing at Vox and we all suffer due to this.
    -Accountability among teams is hit or miss. Due to the lack of support in key areas its difficult for managers to assess their teams performance and even harder to get the support you need from other teams. You need more oversight and stronger managers in key areas.
    -Feedback for teams working with other departments is a must, despite that the company relies on so many groups there isn't much in place to help those teams work together better or to highlight areas that could be improved. Feedback on managers will open your eyes and blow your mind.
    -While there are some excellent leaders in the company they're spread thin and there aren't enough of them. Having most of these figureheads in DC doesn't help.

Advice to Management

Its a small company that is getting big, really big. These problems are common in growing organizations but unless the you start putting more focus on performance improvement plans within each team Vox will soon find themselves too bloated to be agile in their markets. You need to let go of bad workers and celebrate the teams that deliver successfully time after time.

The progressive approach at Vox is exciting, you're building a culture that resonates with people and makes them feel safe to express themselves. Now empower them and the ideas that emerge in this creative environment, you have some incredibly talented people working there - support them!

Fix your internal systems and create sustainable workflows among teams that allow for scale. Theres an incredible amount of inefficiency in critical teams and while this is acknowledged within the company they've been longstanding issues that you can directly quantify in lost dollars.