Vox Media Reviews | Glassdoor

3.6
Vox Media Chairman & CEO Jim Bankoff
Jim Bankoff

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great people and office, very innovative company (in 7 reviews)

• The new office is nice-ish, the snacks are plenty, the people are nice (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper management doesn't understand the needs of the company or how to grow efficiently (in 4 reviews)

• Career growth is there, but it's not well defined (in 3 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"All about the people"

I have been working at Vox Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love coming to work every day because I'm surrounded by people who care. A lot. And it's not like they only care about their own careers or propping up their own ambitions - they care about political issues, human issues, the arts, their colleagues. People, culture are top notch.

401k match!

Flex work policies.

Really good sense of control over work vs life. I can set my own "work/life equilibrium" which might be a bit different from my colleagues' or my boss's.

There's just a general feeling of happiness here. Probably because the company treats us like adults, and with compassion. I truly feel taken care of by this company.

The CEO.

The new office in New York is amazing. DC office is also amazing. San Francisco, as far as I know, is also amazing.

Cons

It's a media company ... writers get paid what writers everywhere get paid (barely enough to live in NYC).

Career growth is there, but it's not well defined. You have to be willing to take your career into your own hands, and if you do, you'll get where you want to be.

Advice to Management

Thank you for listening to us. Thanks to Jim for being a model citizen. I'm an extremely white male, and I'm driven to think about diversity issues because the company cares so much about it - so thanks for that. Continue to care about your employees, and the rest will take care of itself.

Let's not get so big or clunky that we lose our soul!

Keep hiring for quality, because the quality of the people here is at the root of everything we have accomplished.

Vox Media Response

Mar 10, 2017 – Sr. Director, People & Culture

Thank you for your feedback and we're glad you're happy here! We do have some pretty amazing talent that we're really proud of. It's our employees that drive the company forward and fuel our... More

2. "Eater Intern"

Pros

-remote work
    -fun tasks
    -really want you to succeed
    -PAID

Cons

-at times things felt rushed

3. "Great growing company to gain media experience"

I have been working at Vox Media full-time

Pros

Opportunities for learning and growth and the community

Cons

Still some growing pains in HR and finance as the company scales

4. "good perks, great office"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Pros

good perks, great office, good management

Cons

only con is that the vox CMS platform could be buggy at times

5. "Good Place to Work"

I worked at Vox Media full-time

Pros

Work/Life Balance, High Growth Company, Fun Environment

Cons

Growing pains as they are moving from startup to "legit" media company

Advice to Management

Get some better mid-level mangers. People between the bottom and the top are often incompetent an lack managerial skills.

6. "(Revenue)"

I have been working at Vox Media full-time

Pros

Hungry attitude with great respect for the editorial content created. Sales team feels like a close knit family. Strong personalities that are friendly and fun to work with. Great growth opportunities as things seem to change as they find a corporate identity.

Cons

Upper management doesn't understand the needs of the company or how to grow efficiently. Goals are hard to set when organization changes constantly. Startup culture is going through awkward segway into a corporate identity. Pay is low compared to industry standard.

Advice to Management

Hire people who do the job and do it well - not people who are just great people. While the people in the company are great to work with, it becomes transparent that a lot of them don't have experience to be managers for the jobs they have. Also - pay is low.

7. "Love working at Vox Media!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at Vox Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

the people are amazing, truly progressive workplace culture, snacks,

Cons

not a con for me but if you are not someone who thrives in change/is prepared for work to look a little different every day, be aware that this is a major aspect of company culture

Advice to Management

N/A

8. "Manage the implementation & delivery of online advertising"

Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Campaign Manager in Dallas, TX

I have been working at Vox Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, awesome work environment and very supportive team.

Cons

None in my opinion as of now.

"Bringing in New Management and Not Rewarding Hard Work of Employees"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at Vox Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people who work at the ground level at the company and who do the "grunt" work, are some of the most kind and smart people I've ever worked with. There are a select few in top MGMT who are down to earth, and the snacks and office itself are quite nice.

Cons

The culture at Vox Media went from a collaborative, open, flexible environment, to a rigid, robotic, and purely corporate atmosphere.

There are an incredible amount of very smart and talented people, but unfortunately if you don't have a "Sr." or "VP" title, you don't get the credit or respect you rightfully deserve. I saw it happen to many colleagues of mine in different areas of the company.

They bring in new MGMT to further tighten things up and suffocate any creative energy there once was. The ego-driven nature of top management is enough to exhaust you. What is expected of you continually changes, becomes more advanced and demanding, with no reward to show.

HR will not help you if you have problems with your boss. They will take the side of the person in the Sr. position. Externally, this company appears to be all about diversity and creating a positive environment, but of all the media companies I have worked for, this ended up being the most toxic and gossip driven. Bottom line, they will "hear you out" but they will take the side of whoever they have invested more $$ in. If you find yourself in this predicament (and I know many who have), I strongly encourage you to look elsewhere for a new and more positive job.

Advice to Management

Reward and promote your employees who spent years holding departments together, instead of bringing in external people to come in and suck the life out of what was once an enjoyable place to work.

"Two different companies in one. The editorial content is amazing but the sales org is regressive."

Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Account Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Vox Media full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Vox Media is a great company that has awesome brands. The editorial team creates top quality content that I feel is making a mark. The overall company has good intentions and the culture means well. I love the idea of Vox Media and there are tons of great people. I will say my direct manager was great and worked really hard, but could only do so much.

Cons

The revenue or sales team's thinking is completely different from the editorial side of the business. In a sense it's almost hypocritical.

For a company that is so progressive in it's publication to have such questionable daily actions is a sad reality. It's understandable that there will be growing pains at a rapidly expanding organization but some mistakes and lack of care seem cyclical. There is a common story in the sales organization here. People join because they love the idea of Vox Media. They work extremely hard and put in tons of extra hours but in the end upper management tends to overlook positive gains when there are client issues that arise due to internal processes and business protocols. People then get burnt out.

In addition departments act within their own silos. If you are looking for an account manager position I should clarify that you will be doing the grunt work. In the pros I mentioned that there are tons of great people, and there are, but I should mention that there are a lot of people who tend to lack the respect for others as well.

Advice to Management

Spend some actual time with the people on both your and other teams. Just because you say your door is always open doesn't mean you are actually listening. If an RVP, VP or C-level exec had to spend a day doing what a campaign manager, account coordinator, analyst, or so forth had to do would things change? Making decisions from afar and then rolling out processes that don't deal with the broken ones sometimes feels like bandaids rather than solutions.

There is a great divide between upper management and independent contributors below them. Empathy is not only something you should show potential clients, but those who are grinding it out day in and day out for you. Most importantly the word transparency is used a lot but I question if the Vox Media sales/revenue team is really fully transparent. I would argue that as a sales org it's one of the least transparent companies I've ever been at. While many times sales people stretch the truth at Vox Media it seems like we just don't tell the truth. How does this build client relationships?