Vrbo Manager Reviews | Glassdoor

Find jobs for Manager

Vrbo Manager Reviews

Updated Mar 12, 2020

3.7
Vrbo Senior Vice President and General Manager Jeff Hurst (no image)
Jeff Hurst

"Large company now"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Austin, TX

I worked at Vrbo full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

It's still a fun industry and the company has good people and solid perks. Great actual work space and multiple locations in austin

Cons

It's too big now and difficult to get anything done internally. Too many meetings and not enough action in product development that is required to compete with new competitors

Vrbo2015-08-14

"If you are competitive, confident and work really hard - you will be noticed!"

Current Employee - Sales Account Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vrbo full-time

Pros

Good benefits, relaxed working environment, continuous training and mentoring provided. If you are consistently transparent about your career goals and work hard to over attain your quota, they will help you with opportunities for growth.

Cons

Pay is average for a company of its' size and caliber. Quotas are aggressive and commission is capped.

Vrbo2015-02-25

"Great company culture, everyone can be a contributor"

Current Employee - Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for less than a year

Pros

Everyone at HomeAway can be a contributor; it's an environment where fresh ideas and hard-work are valued. As a manager, my work-life balance is very manageable. I feel very motivated to come to work every day, and the pay-back is flexibility, great benefits, and a feeling of inclusion.

Cons

As the company succeeds and expands globally, it is hard to maintain a sense of inclusion across all global offices. I manage a global team, with some team members in the US and a few in Europe. The company is extremely Austin-centric, but I believe that everyone at the C-Level understands this challenge and is working to ensure that we have a unified, global team.

Vrbo2014-10-31

"A great place to work and learn"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

People will try to do the right thing. There's a general feeling of the company being run the "right-way." Folks at the top make informed decisions based on business value and priorities. On the development side when looking at possible paths of implementing something the proper way of doing things usually wins. Shortcuts are rare and when taken are tracked as technical debt. That makes development, changes and new features much easier to add and maintain. It is a great place to learn how to do things in a way that minimizes long term maintenance costs. There's also a push from above to improve things continuously to make people happy.

Cons

The way teams are setup and quarterly goals tracked can lead to silos. There are initiatives trying to solve this problem though.

Vrbo2014-08-29

"Best company I've ever worked for"

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

The people and culture are by far the best things about HomeAway. Everyone is extremely intelligent and the culture is very down-to-earth for a company of this size. There is no dress code and managers trust employees to manage their own time as long as their getting their work done.

Cons

With all of the websites that HomeAway operates, things can be very complex and take much longer than you might expect to get done. This is the challenge when you're acquiring and integrating the technology and people from other companies several times per year.

Vrbo2014-08-10

"Success and confidence with a touch of ADD"

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Many really smart people working together to build a new market. The only place I have ever worked where the products I get to participate in actually change and improve an industry. In that way it feels like a startup in a new space. Compensation and benefits are very good in Austin. Management is focused in evolving people and pushing us hard to achieve. Product roles require building up leadership muscles given the highly matrixed organization and fragmented aspirations (both a pro and con). On the surface, the products and problems look easy, but they are not given a very complex customer base and the ownership of global marketplace. A great challenge that touches both consumer and SMB classes of problems. One of the few companies where mobile is a value prop vs. a trendy thing to do.

Cons

The company suffers from ADD, which translates into resources being spread very thin, product MVPs stretching the the definition of "minimum", and a lot of conquer and move on behavior. It's a delicate balance between being a public company focused on quarterly revenue targets and having a group of passionate people trying to build great products.

Vrbo2014-07-25

"Work hard and get rewarded!"

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company really cares about its people and I'm not talking about in compensation and benefits - those are definitely on the high end but they actually care about if you're doing okay or not in all aspects of your life. Willing to invest in the right technology and people as evidenced by over $50MM in investment every year! Very goal-oriented and metrics-driven which in my opinion drives the best companies in the world (along with leadership vision and engaged employees).

Cons

Not as big as IBM or Dell but no sweet spot of 200-500 employees where you know everyone. But the size brings benefits in technology investment.

Vrbo2014-07-23

"Fun company to work for, with solid colleagues, helping customers make money & take vacations"

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

The culture here is great - HomeAway is willing to shell out some of its cash in order to build beautiful offices and provide staff the resources they need to be effective and want to come in to the office each day. Almost everyone in the development org is focused on providing as much value to customers as quickly as possible

Cons

As the company grows, it becomes more difficult to get all parties in a room together to quickly make decisions and turn around solutions. These are growing pains which hopefully become easier to deal with over time. The development organization is not as agile as it preaches it would like to be.

Vrbo2014-07-10

"Great opportunities but pace is slowing."

Current Employee - Software Engineering Manager

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Lots of smart people to learn from and not many jerks. Fantastic benefits like 4 weeks vacation. Continuous effort to define software best practices and figure out how to get there. Plenty of interesting projects going on. You get a lot of recognition and reward if you deliver something truly innovative or game changing.

Cons

Your experience will vary depending on which manager/VP you report up to. People assigned teams with lots of technical debt tend to get stuck there without opportunities to advance or take on green field projects. High functioning teams are often split up to staff new projects. The dev organization is wrestling with the effects of growth and hasn't yet found the most efficient model.

Vrbo2014-01-12

"Best Co. I have ever worked for. Seriously."

Current Employee - IT Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Vrbo full-time for more than a year

Pros

Offices designed to make you comfortable and productive from the furnishings to the kitchens to the art. High quality people from the C-Team down. Few losers in the mix and they tend to get pushed out soon enough. Challenging work that makes an immediate, visible impact.. Competitive pay. I check my comp with PayScale.com occasionally and HomeAway is on the mark.

Cons

There are pockets of less than stellar management below the C-Team level. The Co. is struggling to keep true to it's cultural roots while acting like a highly visible public company. That causes some pain and awkwardness at times.

Vrbo2013-12-15