Cover image for Vrbo

62% Recommend to a Friend
65% Approve of CEO

Found 709 of over 806 reviews

3.6
Vrbo Senior Vice President and General Manager Jeff Hurst (no image)
Jeff Hurst

What people are saying about Vrbo

Join the conversation on

Tech

457.6K Members

Ask candid career questions

-1 - https://www.fishbowlapp.com/bowl/technology/posts?cf=gd&utm_medium=Glassdoor&utm_source=glassdoor.com&utm_campaign=Reviews&utm_content=Employer-content-prominent-Reviews&utm_term=Vrbo~42523
Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "A solid tech company with a good website that offers great benefits if they will actually hire you on full time.(in 96 reviews)
  • "The people at HomeAway are great to work with!(in 77 reviews)
  • "The culture is great and overall morale is high despite the large acquisition by Expedia.(in 67 reviews)
  • "good work life balance so far(in 36 reviews)
  • "HomeAway has very nice offices and being 24/7 has a lot of flexibility for scheduling.(in 27 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of Vrbo and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee

Better company pre-acquisition

Nov 10, 2022 - People Team in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

-Great people -Great culture -Family atmosphere

Cons

-became slow post Expedia acquisition

2. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

great place to work

Nov 25, 2015 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

HomeAway technology stack has come a long way. One of the most appealing things about working here is the fact that you get to work with cutting edge technology. In addition, the engineering team are super smart, so working here is a great networking opportunity too.

Cons

Company is getting pretty big, and if you end up on the wrong team, you may find it that it is difficult for you to be impactful.

216 people found this review helpful

Vrbo Response

Employer Brand & Digital Media Specialist

Thank you for taking the time to leave a thoughtful review. We love a good tech stack as much as the next tech company and it’s great to hear you enjoy working on ours. Our Data Science and Engineering teams are so important to the success of HomeAway. You’re right though, we are growing rapidly. If someone finds themselves on a team that doesn’t quite feel right, we highly encourage internal movement and having a conversation with your manager.

3. Join the Vrbo team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Dream Job

Sep 22, 2022 - Partner Success Account Manager in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people I work with, quality of product, benefits, flexibility, training, and fun work environment!

Cons

As all companies during the “great resignation”, there has been a lot of movement so you have to learn to be flexible as teams shift around and change management. Training could have been a little more streamlined up front but there is tons of continuous training opportunities!

5. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great Company!

Sep 23, 2022 - Integration Specialist
    Business Outlook

Pros

Awesome benefits Great pay Flexible schedule

Cons

None at all! Keep doing what you are doing!

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Worst work environment EVER!

Aug 11, 2022 - Senior Email Designer in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing office, both location and amenities... handful of amazing people to work with, fantastic drinks and snacks

Cons

Vrbo as a company thinks they're bigger and better than they actually are. Specific departments are so beyond toxic that day to day work life is draining. Most employees have zero concept of "team" and only look out for themselves and will do anything to throw you under the bus so they can look good to management. Biggest bunch of "try-hards" I've ever encountered.

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great culture, lots of tech debt

Aug 19, 2022 - Software Engineer in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

* There's still some HomeAway culture present at Vrbo. * Engineering team is very open and helpful. * Easy to switch between teams or different technologies.

Cons

* Loads of tech debt, business doesn't take time to address it. * Frequent reorgs.

8. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Some teams are good, company is terrible

Aug 2, 2022 - Anonymous Employee in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

PTO reimbursement work life balance some managers and teams are great to work with, most are not. in 5 years ive had 2 good managers.

Cons

little-by-little they are stripping everything that made expedia once great, from benefits to snacks in office. im convinced within a year or two this place will be kmart level benefits. management couldnt care less about worker safety in covid waves. even as most in-office employees are being exposed, and many of us are having to put off seeing family again just to go into their (terribly maintained) office. if you ask in slack, they make it sound like a concern and theyre on top of it, but the second you actually start trying to wfh you get 0 flexibility. even tough execs regularly have meetings from home while we're stuck in the trash offices theyve given to us. if youre an engineer you'll likely be given special treatment though, as always. the austin office is a special place in hell, it regularly gets 80 degrees in there and facilities is only ever "looking into it". the only water machines are poorly cleaned, i've had them dispense straight mildew into my water on more than once occasion. but dont worry, facilities is "looking into it" also. coffee machines are also awful, they dispense a ton of nasty flavors, so no matter what you get- you actually just get a soup of the last 5 or 6 selections made, its so bad that i notice many employees bringing their own french presses and stuff. lastly, the wifi is awful. expect to always be out of the loop. one day things will be fine, the next- everything is broken bc a ton of changes were made to your needed tools without your knowledge. Now you get to spend days tracking down how to get it resolved bc nobody outside your small team will care. the vast majority of awards and prizes are earned by cheerleaders who just nominate each other constantly, oddly enough they are often some of the least productive members of their teams. they treat you like a child. you want your opinion heard? nope, how about some stupid t shirt with the 5th logo in 3 years. not your size? not their problem. their idea of awarding you and showing they care is giving you 'miles' that you can spend on a bunch of terrible merch that nobody wants (just looking at the fact that i have yet to see someone wearing any of the prizes, regardless of hundreds of people having the miles to get them)- the mile system feels more like a pyramid scheme than work. and best of all, who cares if you have covid, you better get into the office at the very second they want you there. management couldnt care less about you or your families health and wellbeing.

9. 4.0
    Former Employee

Growth opportunity

Jul 21, 2022 - Marketing Specialist in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting, fun work. Good benefits.

Cons

Siloed. Can get bogged down in corporate bureaucracy

10. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Advancement within the company is near impossible

Feb 2, 2022 - Customer Service Representative in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

Travel/Wellness Reimbursement, Paid time off.

Cons

When I applied for the position I was told I would be doing basic customer service role expectations. During my orientation that changed and I was told I would be advancing to a Tier 3 position within the company which had my training class very excited but the catch was we would have to go through training, after our ramp up period we would interview with departments of our choosing and then accept an offer within a few weeks. Weeks turned into about 6 months with no update in sight and 2 new hiring classes. I was informed by recruiting decision making of advancement would be delayed due to the brand new hire classes so everyone gets a fair shot of advancement. Upon my investigation we were not told we would also be competing with external applicants for new roles as well. Communication is not great, you don’t feel supported and it feels very micromanaging and toxic culture. If you apply, keep in mind it can take months or years before advancement or not at all.

11. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good Place

Jun 7, 2022 - Senior Manager Software Engineering in Austin, TX
    Business Outlook

Pros

good work life balance so far

Cons

A poor comp for sure.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 709 Reviews
</>Embed

Vrbo Reviews FAQs

Vrbo has an overall rating of 3.6 out of 5, based on over 806 reviews left anonymously by employees. 62% of employees would recommend working at Vrbo to a friend and 54% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has been stable over the past 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, Vrbo employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.8 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at Vrbo. This rating has decreased by -5% over the last 12 months.

62% of Vrbo employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated Vrbo 4.1 out of 5 for work life balance, 3.8 for culture and values and 3.4 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at Vrbo to be career development, culture, benefits and the cons to be senior leadership, management.

Popular Careers with Vrbo Job Seekers