Vudu Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 7, 2016

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Mike Duke

1. "Good pay and they are trying to be better"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Vudu full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, 20 days PTO, good benefits package but the prod have a lot that can improve. The management team is pretty new and wiling to listen to engineers, process is a bit chaos but so do a lot of startups. The whole company is trying to make the product more lovely and engage with more users in the competitive market.

Cons

Linked with Walmart, which is good that Vudu doesn't have to worry about funding, bad hard to re-brand and sell more movies to Walmart users.

Advice to Management

Come up with better process and invest more on the latest technology

2. "Ok company if you want no challenges"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Vudu full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Good environment
    - Good pay
    - Good work/life balance
    - Nice coworkers

Cons

- No engineering challenges
    - Lack of communication from all levels of management
    - No company culture
    - Not super smart and brightest engineers. They are just "OK".

Advice to Management

Try to innovate! Differentiate from competition, add value to our costumers.

"Ok for a while, probably not a place for a carreer"

Current Contractor - Designer in Sunnyvale, CA
    Current Contractor - Designer in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Vudu as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Vudu is very flexible and the pay is OK. The location is good and the perks are decent. Clean place and respectful co-workers, the environment is good

Cons

One they hire you they promised you a lot of things but they do not follow up. They are very bad at communicating. They need to be more open at vertical hierarchy. The paid is OK.... not good.

Advice to Management

Communicate all the time

5. "Give it a chance ... it's finally coming around now"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Sunnyvale, CA

I have been working at Vudu full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Autonomy. We're small, we're agile and we're hungry. The new TV redesign is set to launch mid October. Mobile and tablet to follow. This is truly the start of a new era at Vudu.

Cons

Everyone at Vudu seems to produce 5x the output of a similar company like Netflix. And we're 1/10th the size of our competitors. That makes for a pretty intense pace, with long work hours at time.

It's a David vs Goliath scenario, but the upside is you get to work on a lot of stuff, without a lot of political layers to interfere. It's very very agile. There's a serious lack of process and documentation right now, but that's only because we need to build and ship above all else. If ownership and building a product from start to finish appeals to you, this is a great company to join right now.

Advice to Management

Hire more people, and keep it fun.

"Decent pay but very poorly managed..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

Pros

The pay was good but the IT infrastructure is very outdated.

Cons

That being said VUDU has a very bad reputation of hiring and firing the re-hiring. They go through fluctuations especially during the holidays and winter season when many people are staying home watching movies. Management is useless and barely persent if at all. They are too busy worrying about their personal lives to actually make an positive impact.

Advice to Management

They still have no power to influence the bugs on their streaming servers as these are owned and operated by "Limelight". I see VUDU slowly fading away as less costly and more reliable VOD solutions appear on the market every day. Some of the movies on Netflix are free to stream for subscribers while VUDU still charges $15.00 to own...

7. "Architect"

I have been working at Vudu full-time

Pros

Meaningful work and projects you do a lot of work on many things instead of being silo'd. Your work goes directly to prod no shelving

Cons

Salaries are lower because of the internal equity of people who have been there a long time making under market

Advice to Management

relevel salaries to market for anyone there over 3 years and bring in new people at or above market

"You will always be part of a caste system. Never forget this."

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at Vudu as a contractor

Pros

Nice clean office with plenty of space and a culturally diverse workforce. Free fruit on Monday and Wednesday mornings, free snacks, unlimited free coffee, cappuccinos, mochas, espressos, and a free soda machine. Free lunch on Fridays and we even got free steak on Veterans Day. Plenty of shared refrigerator space and a small army of microwaves. Weekly pay every Friday straight to your direct deposit. I got the feeling that Walmart honesty tried to make sure that even their lower level employees that were scrapping by had the basics taken care of while at work.

Cons

As someone else commented, there’s a lot of depression in the office. The pay was on the low end but the work / life balance was excellent at a flat 40 hours per week, the product is interesting & fun, no hostile entanglements with colleagues or cross-departmental static…. yet it’s a very cold office with a lot of misery in the air.

There is a caste system that determines who you are allowed to eat food with and who you can speak to. Very important at Vudu: DO NOT SPEAK TO ANYONE.

Do not speak unless spoken too, especially if you are outside of your desk and outside of your class. That is grounds for termination and will be used against you.

Advice to Management

If my department were a TV show it would be Survivor. The goal of Survivor is not to be efficient, transparent, or to scale; the goal of Survivor is not to get voted off the island. There was no person or system in place to manage all the different channels of my department’s workflow and as a result it’s very much every person for themselves. People can be helpful but also guarded about hacks they’ve learned along the way to do the different parts of the job. I came in early, worked weekends on short notice when it was asked of me, did not make a habit of repeating the same mistakes, replied back to external account reps when no one else would and then followed through repeatedly to make sure the job was done correctly, but never received any feedback on my performance or conversations on where I stood with the company. Instead there’s the ambient misery, the constant coughing, and the growing paranoia that people are forming an alliance to vote you off the island. One word and its one strike & you’re out. Is this really the TV show you want to be?

9. "Great place to work."

Pros

- From engineering to customer service to UI, every team is great
    - Everyone is putting 110% it to make it the best online movie service and really cares about customers
    - A lot of leaning and self-improvement opportunities
    - Great benefits

Cons

No cons really, i love working at Vudu.

"Mehhh..."

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at Vudu as a contractor

Pros

Good pay, free sodas cheap snacks

Cons

Depressing environment, no one appears to be happy, work extensive hours... I haven't seen an executive since I've been here.