Vulcan Reviews | Glassdoor

Vulcan CEO Bill Hilf
Bill Hilf

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Some areas seem to have better work/life balance than others - but such is the risk with such a diverse organization working on such different projects (in 11 reviews)

• Upper management plays favorites (in 5 reviews)

1. "Finance"

I have been working at Vulcan full-time

Pros

Great company culture, a lot of opportunities to work on diverse projects, good benefits, strong leadership team.

Cons

Salary is not as competitive as other large companies in the area

Advice to Management

Continue approving communication across teams

2. "Love this company!"

I have been working at Vulcan full-time

Pros

Really appreciate the diversity of experience

Cons

dont really have anything here

"Great team dynamics, really cool projects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vulcan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I love the variety of work I am involved in during any given week - no day is ever the same. I love my team, and appreciate the autonomy I have to get my job done, with the right balance of support from my manager. Vulcan offers great perks and benefits, and the pay is really competitive. There are things that I get to do and experience at Vulcan that continue to blow my mind. And I love that I get paid for it!

Cons

I think there is some inconsistency in employee experience based on your team and leader. Some areas seem to have better work/life balance than others - but such is the risk with such a diverse organization working on such different projects. There do seem to be some growing pains with new leaders, but overall I truly believe leadership is doing what is best for the company and employees.

Advice to Management

Don't be afraid to trust employees and clearly communicate with them about why changes are happening, and how they are impacted. The employees here are all very intelligent - and we can see through the jargon and excuses.

"Great opportunities to participate in projects that are unique and exciting!"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vulcan full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great people, decisions are made quickly and you have the opportunity to make an impact. The benefits are pretty incredible!

Cons

There is some new leadership which means change, not without growing pains but the changes seem to be going in a positive direction.

Advice to Management

Clear communication and transparency during times of change can really help alleviate some of the growing pains.

5. "exciting!"

I have been working at Vulcan full-time

Pros

great initiatives and great people

Cons

none that I have experienced :)

Advice to Management

keep doing what you're doing...

"Top Notch People, Challenging Work Culture"

I worked at Vulcan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paul Allen and team are doing great things in this world and I applaud them. Great pay and benefits. Great training and social outreach programs. The recruiting process is stellar. They spare no expense. Everyone is friendly and I have never felt more valued. On paper, this is an excellent company.

Cons

Once hired, the tone changes. Perks promised were never delivered. It's a 'say yes' culture - 24/7. If you need a work/life balance, don't work here.

Communication within the company is very confusing. There's not clear direction or procedures to follow. If you have questions, the managers will tell you 'we're here for you!' They aren't. This is a company of mostly well-meaning, but overworked, employees who live in fear of losing their jobs.

If you work here and are feeling overwhelmed, overworked, need a break due to personal or health reasons, or feel bullied by your manager, DON'T GO TO HR. They will fire you and say you're not up to the task. It's a paranoid work environment with an attitude of 'if you can't do it, we'll find someone who will.'

I have owned my own company for most of my 25-year career, so giving my all, overdelivering, and working a 50 to 60-hour work week was par for the course. This isn't good enough here. My family described my experience as selling myself into slavery.

You need to be SUPER HUMAN, lack empathy, and possess VERY thick skin to work here.

Advice to Management

Develop concise communication and purchasing procedures. Write clear job descriptions and, if turnover reoccurs for a position, reevaluate the position and its responsibilities.

"Everything changes and nothing changes."

Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vulcan full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

People - Excellent people doing great work in their individual depts and tasks.
    Benefits - Great for new hires, old tenured employees only have reductions in vacation accruals that you are overworked to be able to take.
    Pay - If you are able to work a normal week in a below radar group you are in great shape! Others are underpaid when considering the work load and expectations.

Cons

Let's try this again since Vulcan was able to delete a recent critical review.

Vulcan's new saviors in leadership are dealing with basic math challenges of adding more and more head count which equals more and more operational "burn" as some would classify it. The burn is intensified compared to previous iterations of the company by the top heavy state of the current organization.

C levels justify their existence by..... hiring more C levels. They will sacrifice a few of their own, only to backfill with others that will be part of their alliance. This is the usual survivor mentality which shows how insecure leaders are by not standing by their own decisions vs. pinning problems on someone else. Big salaries to strategize, plan and redeliver messaging that is dysfunctional from the top down.

The organization will never drop the culture of fear it has been tagged with by many many internal staff because this comes from the top down and always has. The top down selective nature of communication, interaction, feedback and basic answers to questions is at an all time low, perhaps remembering faces, names or topics is becoming too challenging. The behavior of answering questions as late as possible so leaders are never wrong is comical at best, but incredibly stressful to those just trying to do their job.

Nickel and diming the operational teams while burning money by the truck loads on self-indulgent vanity events and projects is not how you run a company, make a choice which one really matters to you or continue to live in the shadows of the other MS alumni actually changing the world for the better or enjoying their lives.

Advice to Management

When the lay offs come and they will. Be realistic on what is fat, meat and bone. The heavy 6 and 7 figure salaries are fat when your ability to strategize a dysfunctional vision is an exercise in futility.

"Fast-paced and rewarding"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vulcan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Unique perks like Cinerama movie nights, themed happy hours, Mariners suite tickets, office lounges with games and snacks, massages and manicures.
    -Incredibly passionate and talented coworkers. Some of the smartest people I've ever met. They encourage you to be the best you can and the team camaraderie makes it fun to come to work.
    -A lot of new upper management but they are working hard to be more approachable and communicative than previous leaders. For example, they have started doing breakfast with the CEO where you can ask questions in a casual environment.
    -Exciting projects and philanthropy like ocean conservation, wildlife conservation, AI and cell research. You feel like all your work is actually making a difference.

Cons

It's definitely a "work hard, play hard" environment which is not for everyone. Communication from the top down could still be improved.

"Growing Pains but Otherwise GREAT. Brilliant people working on amazing projects."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Vulcan full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great salary, benefits, and other perks such as free movie nights at Cinerama. Health and community conscious company -- free FitBits, year round employee wellness programs, health club reimbursement, staff sports teams, volunteer events, etc. Many people have loved the company enough to stay - many people have been there 15+years. The various levels of leadership spend continous time and energy on improving the organizational structure, work processes, and employee satisfaction.

Cons

It is a 20 year old company with so many new leaders that it has a bit of a startup feel - which makes for some growing pains (which has some positives but also downsides while the departments figure out what works).

"Great perks and enjoyable teams"

I have been working at Vulcan full-time

Pros

Work/life balance, benefits, feeling of contributing to great things happening.

Cons

Very little exposure to upper management.