KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

Vulcan Employee Reviews about "leadership"

Updated Jul 1, 2022

Technical Account Manager

60 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits and some cool perks.(in 26 reviews)
  • "In spite of this culture that is still trying to define itself and work itself out, for the most part the people here are brilliant, passionate, and committed people who truly want to do inspiring and impactful work.(in 10 reviews)
  • "great benefits and decent pay(in 6 reviews)
  • "1. Intelligent colleagues.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Great opportunities to work on a variety of projects(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "leadership"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 4.0

Manager

Jun 26, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Generous 401k matching (50% up to federal max.), other benefits and perks are nice and unique. Impactful work locally and abroad.

Cons

Company doesn't recognize individual successes; often unclear direction from senior leadership.

5 people found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Constant changes

Mar 3, 2021 - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, amazing projects, brilliant people. Snacks!

Cons

Too many re-orgs. Silo mentality. Poor leadership in certain departments.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  3. 4.0

Director

Dec 4, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I have never worked with the diversity of projects/industries that I have encountered at Vulcan. The experience has been invaluable to my professional development. Executive leadership is invested in providing communications and tools to support the employee/teams towards productivity. While some of the nuances need to be refined, the direction is on target.

Cons

If you like defined problems and a narrow swim lane of work, this is not the place for you.

1 person found this review helpful
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

You And Me Could Write a Bad Bromance

Feb 5, 2019 - Senior Product Manager in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. When people were interested in coming to work at Vulcan I told them, “It’s cool because you work on crazy stuff. It’s awful because you get to work on crazy stuff.” I worked on some crazy stuff. Drones and VR and machine learning. It’s a tech playground. It was great for my career to dabble in cutting edge technology. It makes people notice my resume. It forced me to think outside the box. I am grateful for my time at Vulcan.

Cons

I’m also very happy to have left. Vulcan lacks paying customers. Without that simple but powerful force, it is hard to keep a company pointed toward true north. In my five years in the tech department, it had about three name changes and 4-6 leadership changes. With each regime change I would feel a new sense of hope. “This guy (note: always a guy) seems like he understands business. He’s not just interested in creating a wacky invention, but he wants to make products for actual human beings.” Inevitably, users would fall to the wayside and we would ultimately build something for a white guy sitting in an ivory tower. While Mr. Allen had good intentions and creative ideas, he often wanted a cutting edge engineering solution to a big humanitarian problem. The non-engineering solutions were too dull. But the engineering solutions were often out of touch. One thing was consistent: the worker bees were passionate about making something amazing and functional. Similar to Mr. Allen, they wanted to make a big impact in people’s’ lives. They researched ways to make science fiction come to life. They are smart, kind, creative, sharing people. However, the people who get promoted spout empty promises. They strut in like Donald Trump, fabricating business models and customer needs. In some ways, it's hard to fault these leaders. When there is no business, then lying with flourish is the best way to personally survive. If they can’t be successful by making a sale, then success has to come from a bloated sense of self worth. In the last regime change, things have gone slightly differently. The customer we designed for was no longer Paul Allen but instead a nonexistent customer who wants futuristic products at a reasonable price. In trying to productize Paul’s ideas, they are taking something developed in a lab and trying to make it a commodity, underfunding any R&D that would maintain differentiation. Leadership isn’t taking a strong stance in any direction: - If it truly wanted to build products, it would expand the team size to function comparably to a competitor. Right now, teams of 2-10 people are trying to create a full scale business. - If it wanted to operate as a tech transfer office, it would partner with major companies. Instead, it keeps its tech development under wraps. - If it wanted to be a Google X, it would focus on R&D and build truly futuristic product prototypes and not worry about making a sale. Vulcan doesn’t know what it is. It never has. It always sat in a technological purgatory, partially because I don’t think Mr. Allen cared enough to commercialize. Without Paul Allen, it loses a leader that had a sci-fi imagination. That might be a good thing since his ideas never touched the ground. It might be a bad thing because there are no longer any ideas. Right now, it is trying to commoditize futuristic ideas for an imaginary customer. Best of luck.

40 people found this review helpful

Vulcan Response

5. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

Amazing people & projects, but ownership and top leadership do not value their employees

Nov 5, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are tons of brilliant and fun people to work with and learn from and the projects you get to work on are often the type you cannot find anywhere else

Cons

Ownership and top leadership have made it clear that employees are all replaceable and do not value them or create opportunities for growing their career

11 people found this review helpful
  6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

Apr 9, 2021 - Director in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people and the mission.

Cons

Lack of vision from leadership.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  7. 1.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Meat grinder

Oct 23, 2013 - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you can navigate the juvenile politics that start at the top you'll have longevity at any other company that has professional leadership.

Cons

Revolving door of good people who didn't know Vulcan's management reputation before taking the job. All staff are regarded as disposable at the CEO's whim, VP's and Sr Mgrs go along with it to save their own jobs. It's not about how qualified you are but how long you can stay under the re-org radar.

7 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Current Employee

Looks good on the outside.

May 15, 2009 - Senior Associate in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Looks good from the outside. It will most likely look food on my resume.

Cons

Leadership and Internal growth opportunities are lacking.

8 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Diverse and Dynamic

Nov 19, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

A remarkable diversity of projects, programs and initiatives that are increasingly integrated and collaborative. A recent infusion of new people and new leadership is shifting the culture in positive ways. Employees are typically engaged and enthusiastic. Great perks and location.

Cons

This is an organization in transition and with that comes rapid change and shifting priorities. That can make some people uncomfortable but the organization appears to be working to help existing staff adapt. Still not well know even in Seattle.

12 people found this review helpful
  10. 3.0
    Current Employee

Weak sr mgmt but good staff and environment

Sep 6, 2018 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent group of people and available resources. Work life balance is good. The culture of work hard and play hard is alive and well. Advancement happens but only for the select few who are favorites of senior management or "in the club".

Cons

Senior leadership is absent. We don't hear about successes probably because they are not making much progress on the company goals. Just a lot of reorging and cost controls. There are few stellar executives (most have been here for years) but virtually all of the recent hires in the last two years are mediocre at best.

6 people found this review helpful

Vulcan Response

Vulcan

Thank you for your feedback.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 23 Reviews