KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Vulcan

Engaged Employer

Vulcan

Add a Review

Vulcan Employee Reviews about "management"

Updated Aug 15, 2022

Technical Account Manager

62 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits and some cool perks.(in 29 reviews)
  • "Great people, decisions are made quickly and you have the opportunity to make an impact.(in 13 reviews)
  • "1. Intelligent colleagues.(in 6 reviews)
  • "Great Pay and Benefits(in 5 reviews)
  • "3. Generous salary for the Seattle area, unless you consider public companies with stock options.(in 4 reviews)
Cons
  • "Need to allow a better work life balance(in 6 reviews)
  • "Childish, arbitrary management.(in 6 reviews)
  • "I personally feel very valued my direct manager but sometimes the structure of the company limits my compensation and career mobility.(in 5 reviews)
  • "lots of layoffs, limited upward mobility(in 5 reviews)
  • "Lack of any senior leadership; lack of coherent communication about company goals, objectives or performance; unethical (and worse) business practices; much dead weight.(in 5 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great company to work for

Feb 1, 2022 - Information Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They love free thinkers and allow you to grow

Cons

Going through a transition so layoffs could be an issue

2. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 8 years

Changing

Aug 15, 2022 - Project Manager in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It is a different company than when the founder was alive, but it's still full of some of the best people I've worked with in my career.

Cons

Future very difficult to predict

3. 4.0

Great Company, Amazing Benefits

Aug 5, 2022 - Marketing Manager in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great Co-Workers Great Pay and Benefits Great Management team

Cons

Poor work and Homelife balance

4. 2.0

What a mess

Aug 2, 2022 - Mechanical Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and benefits, interesting work

Cons

Highly political atmosphere, who you know is more important than what you know

5. 2.0

Not Great...

Jul 5, 2022 - Customer Service in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Decent benefits Decent team 401k was insane when I was there. Location was fine.

Cons

Zero upward mobility; Paul Allen is rolling over in his grave.

6. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Machine assembler

Jul 1, 2022 - Machine Assembler in Dundalk, MD
    Business Outlook

Pros

Got to work with power tools

Cons

Not a Team based job

7. 2.0
    Former Employee

Generally speaking, not a healthy place to work

Jun 24, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and compensation package

Cons

Lack of clear company direction and frequent (and often poorly explained) pivots, unclear values, favoritism and competition among employees for resources

8. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Where the worst of the best succeed

Apr 22, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Intelligent colleagues. I worked with some very sharp, amazing people. 2. Excellent views of the city (Seattle office). 3. Generous salary for the Seattle area, unless you consider public companies with stock options. 4. Generous health insurance plans. I have never enjoyed better health benefits outside of Vulcan.

Cons

1. Those who are the most toxic get promoted. 2. No self-awareness by upper management. 3. Unethical HR practices. If you ever have an issue with a manager or other senior person, it's easier to just leave than consult HR. (See #5 below). 4. Skin-deep commitment to "diversity and inclusion". And very myopic. If you are a woman in tech that wants to move up, forget about Vulcan. 5. Layoffs are the primary means by which managers get rid of employees that occasionally express opposing opinions.

9. 1.0
    Current Employee

If you're looking for toxic, this is the place.

Apr 20, 2022 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Congrats, you've landed, too bad it's a sinking ship. Incredibly smart colleagues.

Cons

Terrible management. Toxic environment. Don't believe the reviews, they have their HR staff write bloated reviews.

10. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Just say no

Mar 2, 2022 - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing and intelligent colleagues, who were truly inspiring to work with. In the past, there was also an incredibly exciting variety of projects and business initiatives to work on - always something new and interesting, with true purpose. That changed following Paul's death, however, as the company began downsizing and slashing programs and people.

Cons

The company is a shell of what it once was, and seems to have lost its way and purpose. Many years of layoffs and the elimination of most significant programs. I also doubt this downsizing is complete, so if you consider joining this company, look to what short-term gains you can make in your career. Anticipate more cuts, and don't be surprised if the company eventually folds entirely. There were so many long term employees who had dedicated decades (yes, 20+ years) of their careers to this company. They were committed and passionate, and were tossed aside in often quite disrespectful ways. After so many rounds of layoffs, it was truly disheartening to see how incompetently our HR team continued to handle these events. Executives with flippant attitudes towards the process, and decisions made based on politics and personal whims of the Chair. Your success at Vulcan is not dictated by what you know or accomplish, but rather how in favor you are with the top leaders. As one person had commented upon leaving, they had never seen politics to this degree at any previous company, regardless of size. Bottom line... proceed with extreme caution.

1 person found this review helpful