KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Vulcan

Engaged Employer

Vulcan

Add a Review

Vulcan Employee Reviews about "people"

Updated Jun 24, 2022

Technical Account Manager

60 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Good benefits and some cool perks.(in 27 reviews)
  • "In spite of this culture that is still trying to define itself and work itself out, for the most part the people here are brilliant, passionate, and committed people who truly want to do inspiring and impactful work.(in 12 reviews)
  • "1. Intelligent colleagues.(in 6 reviews)
  • "great benefits and decent pay(in 5 reviews)
  • "Beautiful office space.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "people"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great company to work for

Feb 1, 2022 - Information Systems Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They love free thinkers and allow you to grow

Cons

Going through a transition so layoffs could be an issue

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Just say no

Mar 2, 2022 - Manager in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Amazing and intelligent colleagues, who were truly inspiring to work with. In the past, there was also an incredibly exciting variety of projects and business initiatives to work on - always something new and interesting, with true purpose. That changed following Paul's death, however, as the company began downsizing and slashing programs and people.

Cons

The company is a shell of what it once was, and seems to have lost its way and purpose. Many years of layoffs and the elimination of most significant programs. I also doubt this downsizing is complete, so if you consider joining this company, look to what short-term gains you can make in your career. Anticipate more cuts, and don't be surprised if the company eventually folds entirely. There were so many long term employees who had dedicated decades (yes, 20+ years) of their careers to this company. They were committed and passionate, and were tossed aside in often quite disrespectful ways. After so many rounds of layoffs, it was truly disheartening to see how incompetently our HR team continued to handle these events. Executives with flippant attitudes towards the process, and decisions made based on politics and personal whims of the Chair. Your success at Vulcan is not dictated by what you know or accomplish, but rather how in favor you are with the top leaders. As one person had commented upon leaving, they had never seen politics to this degree at any previous company, regardless of size. Bottom line... proceed with extreme caution.

Continue reading
  3. 2.0
    Former Employee

Generally speaking, not a healthy place to work

Jun 24, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits and compensation package

Cons

Lack of clear company direction and frequent (and often poorly explained) pivots, unclear values, favoritism and competition among employees for resources

4. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Where the worst of the best succeed

Apr 22, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

1. Intelligent colleagues. I worked with some very sharp, amazing people. 2. Excellent views of the city (Seattle office). 3. Generous salary for the Seattle area, unless you consider public companies with stock options. 4. Generous health insurance plans. I have never enjoyed better health benefits outside of Vulcan.

Cons

1. Those who are the most toxic get promoted. 2. No self-awareness by upper management. 3. Unethical HR practices. If you ever have an issue with a manager or other senior person, it's easier to just leave than consult HR. (See #5 below). 4. Skin-deep commitment to "diversity and inclusion". And very myopic. If you are a woman in tech that wants to move up, forget about Vulcan. 5. Layoffs are the primary means by which managers get rid of employees that occasionally express opposing opinions.

Continue reading
  5. 1.0
    Current Employee

If you're looking for toxic, this is the place.

Apr 20, 2022 - Director
    Business Outlook

Pros

Congrats, you've landed, too bad it's a sinking ship. Incredibly smart colleagues.

Cons

Terrible management. Toxic environment. Don't believe the reviews, they have their HR staff write bloated reviews.

6. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Excellent place to work

Jan 24, 2022 - Software Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cares about employees. Creates a positive impact across the globe. Supports professional development.

Cons

Is not as challenging a place work as it used to be.

7. 5.0

NA

Dec 2, 2021 - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The company offers great health benefits and generous employer contributions to HSA, dental/medical premiums, and matching for 401k plan.

Cons

There are some areas that could improve but overall there are great people at the company.

8. 5.0
    Former Employee

Great place but

Nov 14, 2021 - Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

People are intelligent and experts in their fields.

Cons

lots of layoffs, limited upward mobility

9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Lots of change

Aug 4, 2021 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you like change and doing something different every day, it's a great place to work. I feel like I am helping to make a positive difference in the world with what I do, and I love the people I work with.

Cons

Vulcan is evolving into its future form as dictated by Paul's estate plan. Job security right now is questionable.

1 person found this review helpful
  10. 2.0

No room for growth

Dec 8, 2021 - Senior Applications Engineer in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I’ve made a lot of great friends at Vulcan.

Cons

No growth. Set in their ways

Viewing 1 - 10 of 147 Reviews