W.L. Gore Employee Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Rating Trends Rating Trends
W.L. Gore CEO Terri Kelly
Terri Kelly

Pros
  • Work-life balance, great medical device compony (in 88 reviews)

• Great work- life balance; some freedom to work on what you're passionate about; flexibility with schedule; work with great people; challenging (in 32 reviews)

Cons
  • Decision making process can be confusing (in 22 reviews)

• The peer ranking process is nothing more than a popularity contest with little emphases to actual contribution (in 16 reviews)

1. "WL Gore Culture"

Current Employee - Process Engineer in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Process Engineer in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Lattice structure provides an environment that makes for innovation through idea sharing and collaboration.

Cons

It can be difficult at times to navigate the Lattice structure at WL Gore, but the pros far outweigh the cons.

Advice to Management

Keep leading the way!

"An enterprise that is struggling and lost its way."

Current Employee - Skilled Trades in Elkton, MD
    Current Employee - Skilled Trades in Elkton, MD

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Clean, friendly, inclusive, pushes personal development.

Cons

Cultural transition from the past has company struggling to handle today's business realities. The worst run company I have ever worked for.

Advice to Management

LEAD, management uses the freedom principal to distance itself from responsibility of leadership. Accept and make the hard decisions necessary to make the enterprise proud and profitable again. This is a company badly inneed of structure and true leadership.

3. "Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Elkton, MD
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Elkton, MD

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good working environment, hours and people.

Cons

continuously decreased the healthcare benefits every year.

5. "Work environment"

Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Fallston, MD
    Current Employee - National Sales Manager in Fallston, MD

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

flexible hours
    good compensation
    ESP after one year

Cons

slow moving culture older demographic

Advice to Management

update the office environment to drive inspiration

6. "Project Support"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Kennett Square, PA

I have been working at W.L. Gore (More than a year)

Pros

This organization really works to help associates thrive in all commitments along with providing a great working environment.

Cons

I don't know of any cons.

Advice to Management

Help new associates to be engaged in the environment.

7. "Engineer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Flagstaff, AZ

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work-life balance, great medical device compony

Cons

Can't think of any cons

"Can be great, but be very careful"

Former Employee - Associate in Elkton, MD
    Former Employee - Associate in Elkton, MD

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

The great work life balance you hear folks referencing is that you don't have a "boss" leaning over your shoulder for the most part. It's encouraged to go to extended lunches with colleagues, have chats around the water cooler, stop by and talk with people just to chat - in order build relationships. There is also some flexibility in your work hours and working from home some of the times - Depending on your job. I emphasize - depending on your job. Typically what I saw is the engineers and leaders got this more of this than other functions like the skilled trades or support functions - who are more service oriented. When you see other reviews referencing great work life balance - they are your more senior associates or those with jobs which allowed this - it's not everyone by any stretch.

It's encouraged to do company activities like soccer, volleyball, etc., and the starting salary is pretty good for new engineers - so it's an attractive company to start your career.

One of the best things about Gore - is MOST buildings are extremely pleasant to work in, and they associates you work with are the best.

Cons

I think for a company to adopt the type of culture they have back in the 50's, 60's, 70's - even up to the early 2000's was astonishing - and extremely forward thinking. That's why anyone who has been at the company more than 10 years thinks Gore is the only place in the world they could ever work. I hate to say it - but times have changed and you're still unique - but not that unique. Looking at it in punch list form:
    - the culture isn't a unique selling point to those in tune with most external markets, most bosses have learned that in 2017 if they keep you away from your kids baseball game you're going to be unhappy - and are working around people's lives.
    - the salary isn't bad, but below industry average for anyone except engineers (for those not working here - you can't share your salary with other employees as a company policy, which is very convenient to hide this discrepancy)
    - a fair share of senior leaders are not in tune with the external environment of their own field - which is alarming considering how fast they're falling behind in current markets.
    - when financial times get bad, all of the nice things go away (holiday parties, lunches, etc)
    - when financial times are good, 1% of the "old guard" spend an obnoxious amount of money unchecked and ruin it for everyone - I'm looking at you, associate who fly's business class to Germany for meetings - and happen to bring their husband/wife because it was conveniently their anniversary.
    - Career advancement is hard to come by - it's mostly a series of lateral moves, and if you're a new hire - be careful about staying too long or it will look like a black hole on your resume, as most hiring managers will see that it's all lateral movement.

These make it seem really bad - bust see my Pros list - it's really just all about if you're OK with these cons in order to work with 99% if the associates who are really great people. I also acknowledge that this cons list is not unique to Gore either - so it's really just a balance of what you are looking for, and knowing what you're getting into.

My personal reason for leaving was the career growth - after 8 years I got a few nice pay adjustments, and moved plants twice - but the pay wasn't even close to my current salary at a new company, and the career "advancement" was just lateral moves in retrospect.

Advice to Management

Realize that your culture is great, but it is no longer unique to industry. You're having a problem retaining talent - it's because you think those "unique" qualities of the culture will make up for horrible external salary bench marking, ranking process that caters to who was best able to promote themselves, or a perceived level of contribution that is usually not realistic between functions. I think many are realizing that they can have a work life balance other places - I encourage finding a different selling point. As leaders you need to get in touch with the external marketplace - go to conferences, network with other senior leaders at comparable companies, stop looking inside the company or to the "old guard" for the answers.

"Opeartions Specialist"

I have been working at W.L. Gore full-time

Pros

Coworkers are extremely friendly and helpful!

Cons

The leadership is lacking and could provide better leadership to followers.

"Associate"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Newark, DE

Pros

Diverse company, flexibility, great stock

Cons

Leadership still believes that we are a company with no bosses, easy to maneuver lattice, etc., but that is simply not true. We need to stop pretending to the outside world that we are something we aren't. This is not necessarily a bad thing, but let's just put it out there. They have also become very non-supportive of long term associates. If you have been there a long time, it's probably time to start looking on the outside.

Pay is definitely not competitive to the outside world.

Advice to Management

Acknowledge the people that have gotten this company where it is. Take pride in associates that have been there a long time and reward them, not move them out or on to things that are not important.....AND....acknowledge that we have a hierarchy like 99% of the real world and let's be ok with that.

11. "One of the best, but culture has changed"

I worked at W.L. Gore full-time

Pros

Work life balance
    Good people to work with

Cons

Culture can vary between buildings