W. P. Carey Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Mark DeCesaris

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Overall a good place to work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at W. P. Carey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The benefits are very good. No fancy in-office perks like free lunches, etc., but the healthcare and retirement benefits are solid for this day and age. Compensation is not the highest but is fair. Overall a pleasant place to work.

I think the outgoing CEO had a difficult job to do in restructuring the company for future growth opportunity, including shutting down a large division, and therefore was not "well liked" which is reflected in some reviews. However, I would say the CEO and most upper management are nice people and seem to care about the company and employees.

Cons

Many people hesitant to help you. I can't figure out if they are just very busy or lazy but it can be very difficult to get things done between departments. Uncertain if there is much opportunity for growth as most departments are pretty small.

Advice to Management

Keep the strong benefits package and give employees (outside of management) more opportunity to have their voices heard in regards to company policies and culture.

2. "Bill Carey's legacy of dedication to investors"

I worked at W. P. Carey full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Best experience of my career! I was very honored to have been a part of Bill Carey's legacy. His value system, which focused on putting the investors first, permeated the organization. He was right, if you focus on what is good for the investor, everything else falls into place. This philosophy combined with smart, humble talent has contributed to an unparalleled track record over 40 years and 15 funds that have gone full cycle. I was honored to work alongside some of the best people I have known in the investment industry.

Cons

Business model is shifting and long term plan is unclear but I have no doubt this will remain a profitable and strong business.

Advice to Management

Maintain Bill Carey's fundamental principles, he had a remarkable moral compass! Be sure new employees fully understand the principles that have guided the company to success for over four decades.

3. "Poor Poor Management"

Pros

Some of the hardest and smartest working people on the lower tiers. Great personalities and great sense of camaraderie for all the low level employees.

Cons

Upper and middle management is horrendous. As other reviewers have mentioned, the longest tenured employees are the most corrupt and incestuous. How does it make any sense to promote long tenured UNQUALIFIED people to high positions? The HR department is a joke. Turnover on all fronts should be saying something. Let’s count how many CEO and CFO changes they’ve had in 5 years. Keep that stock price up tho!

Advice to Management

Purge the dead weight. Open your eyes and review the long tenured unqualified managers who are faking it until they make it.

"The company has gone down hill"

Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Sales in New York, NY

I worked at W. P. Carey full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I am still friends with some of the people I worked with, but that's it.

Cons

1) You don't get paid what is promised.
    2) They do not like creativity. They would rather you stick to the books.
    3) They preach about family and values, but they have none.
    4) Awful management- they have no idea what they are doing.
    5) Management has 0 loyalty.
    6) Making their employees happy is a very low priority. They only care about the upper management.
    7) In two years there were two instances of mass layoffs.

Advice to Management

Care about the employees that put their blood, sweat and tears for this company. They deserve better treatment and the loyalty that you preach.

"Going off the rails"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at W. P. Carey full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Amazing benefits, the last bastion of the prominent founder and thought leader William Polk Carey who sadly passed away about five years ago.

Cons

Glad I got out when I did. Management has regressed recently into a few people who have been there for far too many years, becoming more corrupt, incestuous and small minded by the minute. Expect another round of layoffs soon as the business model is anachronistic for a public company expected to keep its expenses under control, and there is no longer creativity or innovation in management's approach to industry challenges. Benefits are great but the compensation is subpar for many (although the "lifers" who grew up there and in many cases could not get jobs elsewhere if they tried - think Chief Marketing Officer who is also stunningly the head of HR although her group has the highest turnover of any in the company - still enjoy the kind of comp from the days of a private business taking 10% off the top of every investment). Over my tenure there I was unfortunate enough to witness the deterioration of a great company from the inside out.

Advice to Management

Good luck.

"Management doesn't know what they're doing"

I worked at W. P. Carey full-time

Pros

Used to be a wonderful place when Mr. Carey was alive. Generous and interested in the workforce.

Cons

All they are interested in is the stock price - they fire people and it has no effect.

7. "Great experience. Too bad the got out of the retail distribution channel"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at W. P. Carey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Excellent benefits and family culture. Paid well for the work. Management at the broker dealer always fought for our best interests and was honest.

Cons

Closed shop abruptly by orders from senior management. It was a good run for 40 years. Can't understand why they didn't try and make it work.

Advice to Management

Good luck

8. "Salesforce Architect/Senior Management"

I have been working at W. P. Carey full-time

Pros

Treat employee well and with respect

Cons

undergoing restructuring and just recently closed out one of the major divisions

9. "Associate"

Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at W. P. Carey full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people, interesting work and a decent work life balance

Cons

Old-boys club culture, far from a meritocracy and very little diversity

10. "the next phase"

Pros

Have a clear direction with new CEO, and executing on a business plan

Cons

Team work is needed to be successful