W. S. Badcock Reviews | Glassdoor

3.1
Mike Price

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Family oriented" means nepotism; family members are regularly allowed to work in/for the same store and are given preference (in 3 reviews)

• Very little communication between departments resulting in poor management, lack of standard policies, no guidance, and a negative work environment (in 3 reviews)

1. "associate"

I worked at W. S. Badcock full-time

Pros

good job with good pay

Cons

sometimes hours are rough too

2. "Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate
    Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at W. S. Badcock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid Time off is good, compared to other retail jobs. The hours are reliable, and the work is pretty straight forward. Good Employee discount. The company seems pretty solid.

Cons

Sales goals can be unrealistic if there is not good sale event advertised.

Advice to Management

Nothing really

"Wake up Badcock"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mulberry, FL

I worked at W. S. Badcock full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexibility for family time. Gym access

Cons

Will not terminate people that need to be terminated. Allows management to make up their own rules and abuse their employees. There are cliques and if you are not in the right circle, it will make your job very difficult. Some employees (to include family members) will make it difficult to get your job done if they do not like you. Some employees get perks that others don't because of friendships with family. Violations of policy and procedures are overlooked based on who the family likes or dislikes. HR needs to be evaluated and restructured. They are supposed to be there for the employees but if you go to them, you are fried at the stake. No protection whatsoever. HR is useless, yet you are required to talk to them if asked questions. The 5th generation is terrible. they talk to their employees like crap and have no respect for process. They will be the generation that sinks that ship.

Advice to Management

You have lost some of your best employees in the last few years. Get your head out of the sand. Major changes need to happen. If there are questions surrounding management behavior, do more then tell the manager all that has been said about them. Retaliation should not be tolerated. Most of your team are looking out for themselves and not the good of the company. There are people in middle management that have done some of the awfullest things but maintain and/or get promoted. The place that I started working at is not even close to the place that I left. What I left was disgusting and my last day was probably the best day I had had in years.

4. "Great workplace"

I worked at W. S. Badcock full-time

Pros

Laid back
    decent pay
    great people
    good temporary position

Cons

bad retirement potential
    401k is not the best

5. "Good Company but lacking with middle management"

I have been working at W. S. Badcock full-time

Pros

Good pay and benefits, good environment for the most part

Cons

Long working hours make it hard for family life, pay is partially commission based, management can be oblivious at times

Advice to Management

Make sure employees are treated with respect. Make sure the workplace environment is friendly and that your team communicates effeciently

6. "Great job, unfortunately sub par management. And pay isn't high enough"

Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Lakeland, FL
    Current Employee - Delivery Driver in Lakeland, FL

I have been working at W. S. Badcock full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Day is 90% unsupervised. Customer satisfaction. Monthly bonus. Work at your own pace. Friendly co workers and office staff. Not home late

Cons

Poor management. Company does not pay employees enough. Well below the average. Not enough structure. When its time for annual review, management will find a reason not to give you the raise you deserve.

Advice to Management

Employees need more sturcture, better management and more pay with better incentives.

"Long term employee"

Former Employee - Store Manager in Lakeland, FL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Lakeland, FL

I worked at W. S. Badcock full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Enjoyed working with direct report. He was a great Mentor. Gave feedback, direction and support. A caring family culture. Hard work was recognised and rewarded.

Cons

Upper management change resulted in change in culture. No direct or support. All upper management positions are held by family members that are clueless.

Advice to Management

Value your long term employee

"Mediocre job made unbearable by manager."

Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mooresville, NC
    Former Employee - Sales Associate in Mooresville, NC

I worked at W. S. Badcock full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy if you know sales, lax policies on being late or needing a day off. That's about all I can say is good

Cons

Let me just start by saying I am not a disgruntled employee who was fired. I left by my own free will with a 2 weeks notice. The company has a terrible computer system and errors are made continuously because the system doesn't have any fail safes. The manager at my store was a human nightmare that micromanaged every part of my existence while at work. I was once told to walk around in circles because we didn't have anything to do but he wouldn't let us stand still. We had to work 12 hours on Black Friday and had a store meeting for an hour before we opened that our manager made us stand for for absolutely no reason. The company has shady finance policies that are deliberately confusing to prey on the ignorance of its target market. I could really go on and on...working there was the single worst experience of my life.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to pay closer attention to the individual store managers and look at their turnover rates.

"Biggest Issue: Lack of Communication"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mulberry, FL

Pros

There are some very friendly people at this company. Salary was decent for a new hire with little experience. Received a lot of knowledge and experience working in a corporate setting.

Cons

Very little communication between departments resulting in poor management, lack of standard policies, no guidance, and a negative work environment. Too much favoritism. A large number of employees gossiping and 'stirring the pot' to create drama where there was none. Most employees feel the need to overwork in order to feel recognized even if they are running themselves into the ground. No time management skills in some departments letting new projects take the wheel over existing. HR does a poor job of really listening to employee issues and doing anything about the underlying problems. Favoritism is there too.

Advice to Management

Communicate with other departments. Take inventory of what projects are truly important and keep things organized. Have systematic and realistic goals for employees. Stop favoritism in its tracks when you recognize it and value the employees who truly put their heart into their work rather than those who put money in your pockets.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Store Manager in Greeneville, TN
    Current Employee - Store Manager in Greeneville, TN

I have been working at W. S. Badcock full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing company with advancement and ownership opportunities.

Cons

No complaints about anything really.