W.W. Grainger Reviews | Glassdoor

W.W. Grainger Chief Executive Officer DG Macpherson
DG Macpherson

1,511 Employee Reviews

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Hardworking individuals who understand work / life balance (in 112 reviews)

• good profit sharing and bonus plan (in 294 reviews)

Cons

1. "Great Company to work for!!"

Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Customer Service Associate in Atlanta, GA

Pros

The atmosphere of working at a Grainger branch is great. The senior employees are very knowledgeable, willing to help out new employees, and great to work with. The company itself treats people very well. Constantly offering new training opportunities, opportunities to travel, and always offering little extras. It was really a great place to work. The supply chain they have is unbelievable, and you can tell just by looking at their catalog they have just about any industrial supply you could ever think of. So , just to summarize great people, great benefits, great opportunity for advancement (if you are willing to seek it out), just a great company overall.

Cons

I honestly did not encounter any downsides while working for W W Grainger. The only thing that I think could come close is the computer program that they use, which is SAP. It is a very powerful system to use once you figure out how to use it. That is the only downfall though, it is tough to to get used to at first. Once you do it becomes one of the most powerful tools you have. Also, as I mentioned earlier the catalog is huge so at times it can be almost impossible to find something in it. Eventually you will know it like the back of your hand.

Advice to Management

I cannot think of anything at the moment.

"Good Solid Company"

Current Employee - Branch Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Branch Manager in New York, NY

Pros

I feel one of the best reasons is that Grainger has been so stable in its approximately 80 history. It has been fair to its Branch Employees and promoted those that want to grow and are willing to work for that growth.

Cons

Grainger is slow to change. It reacts too slowly to what competitors are doing. There at times is a disconnect between Corporate employees and what is really happening in the field.

Advice to Management

Trust your field managers to truly know what is best for their markets. Remember that each market is different. Be willing to take risks for growth.

3. "Good experience -- great benefits -- sorry to leave"

Pros

Awesome benefits, really took care of their people and the families. Great education and chance to learn new skills. Made smart investments where necessary.

Cons

Did not always have the most competent managers in place. Promoting within the company was inconsistent at times. Found executives to be panicking at times.

Advice to Management

Make sure to know all of the facts before making any changes. Get to know the people and processes in place rather than just scanning the data.

4. "Great company and great people"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Pros

Get to work with friendly people, low stress, reasonable hours, and a beautiful location. Cafeteria is very, nice. Good profit sharing.

Cons

Not many cons really. It is a nice place to work and has many different areas to explore your interests and skills.

Advice to Management

Keep treating your employees well and they will work hard for you. Sometimes poor performers are not shown the door.

"Conservative, but a great place to call home while working for the industry leader."

Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX
    Current Employee - Sales Manager in Dallas, TX

Pros

Grainger is the industry leader with a solid balance sheet. They pay a fair wage, and reward both individual & team performance. This is a place that you can stay for a few years to get experience, or stick around and retire in 35 years. You control your own destiny.

Cons

Job can require long hours equating to a high stress enviromnment. Pay is only average, but top performers can do well. Branch, Sales and corporate sometimes have conflicting goals/objectives which makes partnerships sometimes a challenge.

Advice to Management

Leverage cash on hand to weather the economic storm, leave the team in place to capitalize on the current situation to emerge from the downturn stronger, and better positioned to grow the business with our customer base. Set realistic and attainable sales goals so that your sales force will not look elsewhere and risk losing your best talent that you will need in the future.

6. "Best Company for industrial supply industry"

Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Warehouse Associate in Houston, TX

Pros

Decent pay - off weekends. Mgmt pretty flexible with schedule when needed.

Cons

Mgmt can sometimes be found to be inconsistent with promoting. I considered an high turn-over rate among branch management for many of the high performing branch in our market.

Advice to Management

As new postions become available, Upper Mgmt should consider current employees who are qualified before bring in new hires or employees from another location.

"Grainger is an outstanding company to work for."

Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Portfolio Manager in Lake Forest, IL

Pros

Grainger has an outstanding work environment and work/life balance. The benefits and retirement package is beyond anything I have seen at any other company, and was a significant reason for coming to Granger. You really get the feeling that they care about thier employees

Cons

Company could use more outside blood to energize new ideas.

Advice to Management

Granger has done a great job at providing shareholder value and promoting a positive work environment. The positive employee attitude and management efforts to promote a positive work environment was a major factor for coming to Grainger. I consider this a significant advantage that Grainger has in attracting top talent.

"Great Place To Work!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Forest, IL

Pros

I've worked at Grainger over 12 years and think it's a great place to work. I've been treated very fairly by my superiors and beyond. The company recognizes hard work and a job well done. The benefits are great, and every manager I've ever had has been extremely flexible with any work/life issues I've had.

Cons

Sometimes Grainger is slow to change, although that culture is being changed recently. There is a LOT of layers to wade through to get projects done sometimes, and getting approvals sometimes takes a LONG time.

Advice to Management

Continue to be aggressive and be willing to change at a faster pace to out-perform the competition.

"They treat their employees and contractors well. Highly recommended."

Current Employee - Data Manager (Contract) in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Data Manager (Contract) in Lake Forest, IL

Pros

I worked here as a contractor for 8 months in 2010. They are good to their contractors, paying well and being very flexible with work hours and time off. Grainger won a Chicago "Best Places to Work" award while I was here, and I can see why. I have never seen such happy employees at any company I have worked for. I would absolutely work for them again.

Cons

Long commute from the city. But they do provide a free shuttle from the Metra.

Advice to Management

Keep doing exactly what you're doing.

10. "Real experience and professional growth for those just entering the work force."

Current Employee - Intern in Lake Forest, IL
    Current Employee - Intern in Lake Forest, IL

Pros

Management reached out to me to make sure that I was happy with the internship and had everything I needed to succeed. My manager met with me every Friday for an hour to talk about my work, the internship experience, and my future among other topics. I worked on many systems that will lead to great career opportunities, and wasn't viewed as a grunt work intern, they wanted interns to do real work. Interns had lunch and meets with all the top execs, and the CIO even had a 30 min meeting with me later in the summer. The headquarters is an absolutely beautiful building.

Cons

Some employees and managers clearly didn't get along, but that is expected in the IT field, where business sense and IT sense don't always meet. Cubicles are the only office areas except for top execs, even directors have cubicles. No overtime pay, so even if you work over 40 hours you weren't allowed to put it in the system, but it was very rare for me to have to stay late (not sure if that was the workload or the fact that I just worked hard).

Advice to Management

Listen to your engineers, but at the same time teach them some business sense, there needs to be more middle ground.

Showing 1,511 of 1,546 reviews