W.W. Norton Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

4.0
Julia Reidhead

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • It's a company with an incredible amount of history and a wonderful work environment (in 7 reviews)

• The hours are what you make them and the people are friendly (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard to turn off, so work/life balance can be difficult (in 10 reviews)

• The college dept is run 100% by sales reps so there is a bro culture that can become abrasive (in 8 reviews)

1. "Intern"

Former Employee - Internship in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Internship in New York, NY

I worked at W.W. Norton (Less than a year)

Pros

Great internship! They taught me a lot about publicity.

Cons

I didn't really have any cons.

"Good company if you land on the right team"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at W.W. Norton full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good compensation and excellent benefits; great authors and books.

Cons

Insular, clique-y company culture with an odd vibe. They rely on word of mouth and peer-to-peer training for onboarding new employees, so it's a challenge to learn procedures and processes. It's difficult to advance with lots of middle and upper managers staying in the same role and doing things the same way year after year. Micromanagement is definitely present in a somewhat toxic atmosphere with less-than-ideal work/life balance (though I'm sure it varies from team to team). Expectations aren't clearly communicated and redundancy/inefficiency is rampant.

Advice to Management

Provide management training and other professional development to support ALL employees.

"Good, Not Great"

I worked at W.W. Norton full-time

Pros

Company culture, respectability of company

Cons

Low likelihood of promotion opportunities; clear favoritism and preference for advancement of men

"Insular to a fault"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at W.W. Norton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

High standards for books - they do not publish garbage. Camaraderie amazing if you connect with the right team . Trade editors are the salt of the earth.

Cons

Too much drinking - it's not the 50s boys. Spectacularly non-diverse even for NY Publishing. The college dept is run 100% by sales reps so there is a bro culture that can become abrasive.

Advice to Management

Drake is honorary CEO now, the sooner he can be nudged out the better

"Like working for a cult"

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at W.W. Norton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The people who work at Norton are, for the most part, very friendly people who make an effort to get to know their colleagues. They make a real effort to support each other.

Some (but not all) of the managers are wonderful and will really go out of their way to nurture the people who report to them and their future career goals. If you're lucky enough to get one of these managers, you'll have a lot of support during your time at the company.

Norton likes to hire/promote internal candidates to fill open positions. Managers are more than willing to talk with you about your career goals and will reach out if there's something they think you'll be good at.

Cons

The company as a whole is going through an identity crisis right now and it's negatively affecting morale. There is more of a focus on digital products than before at the expense of renewing or revising smaller, upper level titles and new positions that are not digital- or sales-driven. Departments outside of sales and digital are being asked to tighten their belts and increase workloads across their current team members while actively increasing digital offerings and adding new positions within the digital and sales groups. This has resulted in a stagnation of the available 'career advancement' options for current sales reps within Norton. New positions are being created, but they are being filled by people already in those departments. The constant reshuffling means that even if a position is technically open, you might apply and then find that one of your coworkers has been dropped into the role so that the total headcount doesn't increase. Good luck if you want to move from sales into marketing, because it's not going to happen anytime soon.

The upper management at the company clearly play favorites and they hate firing anyone unless as a scapegoat. People who definitely should have been fired stayed on while someone else took the fall or were pressured to quit. If your job is phased out, don't worry! They'll find another position for you within the company, even at the expense of others who might have been applying for that job.

The salary is okay, but definitely not weighted based on where you are living. You'll get the same salary offer if you live in Idaho, or Southern California, or Boston, or Canada. Upper management does use bonuses as a way to evaluate internal candidates for promotions, so if you want to get anywhere, you had better be on the bonus night handout.

The average Nortonian is straight, white, upper middle class, with a liberal arts degree. Management is mostly male. There have been discussions about improving diversity at Norton, but it hasn't improved much.

While Norton is employee-owned, there is very little transparency. It takes a considerable amount of time for decisions to be shared with employees and there's very little open dialogue. Most reps hear the gossip first and then the official statement weeks later.

Norton is a cult. If you want to do well well, you must drink the kool-aid. It's a great place to be if you're considered a favorite, but you'll be stuck treading water if you're not. Don't believe anyone who tells you that this is the best publisher to work with ever - Norton is just like any other publisher, they just pretend otherwise.

Advice to Management

Be more transparent with the decision making process so that employees have the chance to weigh in with experience from the field. Implement a cost of living adjustment for rep salaries.

Provide reps with more/better career advancement opportunities - you're going to lose some good people with the way things currently stand.

"Previous Summer Intern"

Pros

Great experience working with project editors. Truly learned the ins and outs to editing in a publishing house. Definitely enhanced my skills for my careers.

Cons

I have no complaints about my internship at W.W. Norton

Advice to Management

Continue hiring interns!

"Not recommended."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at W.W. Norton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good health insurance, and a generous 401k match.

Cons

-Terrible pay for too much work.
    -The office environment is incredibly depressing. Everyone hides away in their dark, windowless offices, making it nearly impossible to foster meaningful relationships with colleagues.
    -Norton has a very odd, clique-y company culture. The people there live and breathe their jobs to an obsessive degree.

Advice to Management

Learn to communicate with your direct reports rather than using HR as a crutch. For a company that prides itself on being employee owned with a "family feel", you're sorely lacking in respect and common decency.

8. "Great Company"

I have been working at W.W. Norton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They care about their employees

Cons

Publishing in general is a tough business.

9. "Young Employee Experience"

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at W.W. Norton full-time

Pros

Working for Norton has introduced me to some of the most wonderful people in my life. Almost everyone there is interesting, smart, enaging, entertaining, and passionate. I have learned so much from my older colleagues and have made strong friendships in just a few years. Additionally, these people care about their job and yours. So many people ask about your career aspirations and offer advice for you on how to get there. It is such a pleasure to work alongside people whose company I enjoy so much.
    Outside the employees, the mission of the company is truly admirable. While the competition continues to make books and media solely for the profit of their stockholders, Norton is making texts and media to be proud of. In a sales job, you often encounter jaded (and frankly, rude) instructors who think all publishers are the same and only out to rip off students. You can feel good about what you do when you work for Norton.

Cons

Unless you have additional help from family and no loans of any sort, living in an expensive city on the salary of a sales rep is difficult; there is no way around it. It is likely easier if you live in a cheaper city or the suburbs, but the job requires a specific location and if your location is expensive you're out of luck. The benefits of a car and Internet and a phone are great, but the promises of a large bonus that is often lower than expected can take a toll on morale.

"Traveler Review"

Current Employee - Traveler
    Current Employee - Traveler

I have been working at W.W. Norton full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company to work for. Everyone is very passionate about their jobs and it is reflected in the quality of products that we produce. As a traveler, we spend most days on campus talking with professors and sharing information about our books and resources. I appreciate that Norton tries to bring quality products to students at fair prices. This is a big advantage over many other publishing companies.

Cons

It is hard work but that is not necessarily a "Con". We work remotely and don't have a lot of interaction with our colleagues.