WA Department of Commerce Reviews | Glassdoor

WA Department of Commerce Reviews

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
CEO

1. "Great People and Organization"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I worked at WA Department of Commerce full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Commerce staff work hard to make a difference for the citizens and communities in Washington State. They function as a big family of co-workers.

Cons

Limited growth opportunities because people stay in their positions for a long time.

Advice to Management

Keep surveying clients and staff and responding to suggestions and changes recommended.

2. "Diverse work, family oriented, and overall a fun place"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Olympia, WA

I have been working at WA Department of Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Great with flexible schedules and mobile/telework options
    -Family oriented, good work-life balance
    -Mission focused, really understand how your job contributes to community and economic development

Cons

Management decision making can be slow
    Smaller agency so not a lot of growth opportunities (although there are a lot of potential retirees)
    Technology is not up with the times
    Large political landscape to maneuver

Advice to Management

Make decisions, even if they're not popular with 100% of the staff. People appreciate decisiveness and leadership even if they don't always like the decision. If you have to say no, say no instead of not saying anything at all.

3. "I enjoyed it overall"

Former Employee - IT Specialist in Olympia, WA
    Former Employee - IT Specialist in Olympia, WA

I worked at WA Department of Commerce full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a small agency and a great starting place for a career in government IT. They get enough funding to run an in house IT shop with some cutting edge applications and infrastructure but at the cost of staffing. This is both a pro and a con, because I got to put my hands on a lot of different technologies and gained invaluable experience. The IT management was competent and cared about their employees. They were open to feedback and though their hands were often tied, they were receptive to ideas for improvement from all levels of employee.

Cons

One of the cons of any government agency is that they are at the mercy of the current administration. Directors turnover with the administration and funding gets reallocated. You can be working on something for years to have it all thrown away. Circling back to the small agency aspect, you are also expected to perform duties outside of the scope of work you are hired for because staffing is often not adequate. Not a huge con, because the experience is valuable in many aspects but it can be stressful at times.

I know this has changed since I left, but when I worked there IT was still under the admin services department, and the director of admin services was very out of touch with IT. He often promised and expected IT projects with deliverables that were unrealistic given the time and resources that were set.

Advice to Management

I hear that IT has broken away from admin services so that is a step in the right direction. Management always did a good job of listening to employees so no complaints there.

5. "Program Specialist"

I have been working at WA Department of Commerce full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Broad visibility into state-wide policy
    Telecommuting available
    Benefits

Cons

Like all government, dependent upon two year budgets
    Mediocre wages

6. "Probably the best Washington state agency out of all of them"

Current Employee - Administrative Support in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Administrative Support in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WA Department of Commerce full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

We have some of the most hard working dedicated people in one of the least bureaucratic state agencies in existence. Helping companies grow to generate job creation is currently under laser beam focus and has always been a very admirable mission in the agency.

Cons

Continual budget cutbacks make it difficult to carry out duties and serve clients. A lot of time is spent trying to justify our existence and re-educating the legislature over and over with varying methods and benchmarks rather than helping the clients.

Advice to Management

Draconian management and techniques from earlier years have been pretty well weeded out. The quality of HR has improved. Keep up the good work and thanks.

7. "Positioning Washington State to business globally"

Former Employee - Marketing Director in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Marketing Director in Seattle, WA

I worked at WA Department of Commerce full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An ability to make a difference in one of the most influential areas of your life, where you live. Alignment between your personal values and your work life. A connection with like-minded ethically oriented and passionate professionals seeking to develop our most precious resources in a sustainable manner.

Cons

The current state of the budget has made travel and effective outreach challenging, although this seems to be changing recently. Working within government takes a certain degree of persistence and willingness to understand and negotiate systems.

Advice to Management

Working in government is a lifelong career path for many employees. Providing resources, career development opportunities and mentoring is so important to the staff you manage. I found the personal connections and friendships I developed while at Commerce the best in my career.

8. "Effecting incremental change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Job satisfaction
    Stakeholders
    Giving back to society

Cons

Salary, scope for advancement, procedures, meetings

9. "It's a bureaucratic jungle, but the people are nice."

Pros

Some very intelligent and committed people, and the rest are at least competant and generally friendly.
    You can make a difference in the State's regional economic development.

Cons

There is way too much bureaucracy here- too many rules, at times it feels like there is no trust in human judgment. It is more a state government problem than an agency problem, though.

10. "The name changed. but not the incompetent management"

Pros

Really great staff across all Divisions, very motivated to serve the public and solve problems. Generous during food drives and times of crisis.

Cons

Over-politicized management who kowtowed to the Democratic leadership in the Legislature.

Most upper management is competent enough to keep the place afloat, but not very capable of rapid change, always reactive, never proactive.

Advice to Management

Listen more to your staff and CARE. Stop rewarding only the lackeys.