WAC Lighting Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.6
Tony Wang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"If you are a hard worker looking for career advancement this is the place for you!"

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time

Pros

WAC Lighting is a great place for people who are looking to grow within their career, but it is not the place for everyone. You will need to work hard, innovate, improve processes, work in teams and across departments, and in case this wasn't clear work very hard. Your limits might get tested but in the end it is all worth the reward. You will learn so much from the people around you and the people in other departments and other locations. WAC is a family owned company and the Owners care deeply about the staff and continue to take care of them and show their appreciation. Not only do they do big things when the company is doing well like full company retreats, but they do nice little events as well like having food trucks come in, hosting Town Halls at their home and keeping the break room stocked with coffee, soda and snacks. They have high expectations for the people they surround themselves with because they have high expectations for themselves and their company.

Cons

Working at WAC lighting is more than just a job, it is a great opportunity for growth and advancement within your career. Depending on the position and department, travel and/or long hours may be required. They do a good job of laying out all the expectations during the interview. If it isn't something you can commit to then this isn't the right place for you.

Advice to Management

We understand that everything has to be calculated, but last minute decisions and changes can sometimes take a large toll on the team. Think twice before calling the ball on something.

"A place to grow"

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time

Pros

Good people and room to grow. Always a team effort.

Cons

Long hours and cant work remote

Advice to Management

Work on interdepartment communication

"One of the most demeaning and disgusting work experiences I have, or will ever have. You can do a lot better."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Washington, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Washington, NY

I worked at WAC Lighting Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Money is alright
    - Driving to work rather than taking a train is nice
    - healthcare is decent
    - the company definitely has a lot of money

Cons

- if you are in sales (and marketing) you will have to go to Dallas for a month, living in a shared hotel with a coworker, working 15-18 hour days, 7 days a week, including new years eve and day in a disgusting trade show room. You will not be allowed to leave at all, even to get food - which you have to order in. You will be bullied, ignored, and treated like total garbage. You will be relieved each night only when they play a specific song (yes like those prison camp videos you've seen). They try to insist on you drinking to forget about all the abuse and many people spend the month in a blitz to avoid realizing taking this job was a mistake.

- President is another steve jobs wannabe type who can't get her nose out of every department and let them run. Expect to be micromanaged like you have never seen in your life. Not to mention its a husband-wife team on the top - the husband is a dumb as nails sleazeball with no marketable skills. Expect a lot of fighting between them and not knowing who to listen to - all while they disappear for a week and don't answer you.

- due to this wash of talentless, misguided C level people, expect to have your work tasks be changed over and over again as no one has a final say. Even the most mundane tasks that should take an hour get dragged out to days.

- turn over is huge and there is no job security. Everyone is expendable and replacable by the next sucker. They seem to basically have a cycle where people make it to Dallas in January - realize they are being abused and can do better and leave and they just hire a whole new crop after that to repeat the cycle.

- Management is clueless. They hire from within and there are far too many reject high school jocks in high positions they aren't qualified for. They groom these people by giving them closet offices and irrelevant titles so they feel loyal and important.

Advice to Management

hire some people with real skill and experience in upper management rather than pushing up the college grads you've been grooming for years in order to keep their salaries low and skillset even lower.

"Take Your Career to the Next Level with WAC"

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On my first day I coincidentally met the owners family and since that day I’ve been treated as an extension of same. The leadership team is comprised of hungry, creative minds, who don’t settle for anything less than their best. There are plenty of mentorship opportunities in various departments. I’ve witnessed colleagues come in and build long lasting careers - sometimes switching departments that were more in line with their career goals. At this company, one can start in order entry, HR, or sales, and end up in marketing if that’s their ambition. Since my start date, HR has reached out to me several times to ensure I was settled in and had everything I needed. In fact, they contacted me this week because they noticed I had not taken advantage of a benefit I was qualified to receive.

Cons

You will not advance if you are unwilling to learn and take risk.

Advice to Management

Please continue radically investing in technology and innovative product offerings.

"Passionate and energetic family owned business"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for a family owned company comes with great advantages. The benefits with WAC are very good- healthcare plan, 401k, vacation/sick time are plentiful, etc. This company is constantly growing and with that comes infinite opportunities for both personal and professional growth. As one of the few remaining family owned manufactures in this industry, WAC Lighting encourages a real “We’re all in this together” atmosphere. At any given moment you could be working side by side with the President or the VP of the company.

Cons

Ive described to other industry peers that working at WAC is not a job…it’s a lifestyle. No matter your role within this team you have to be prepared to give your very best effort. If you’re looking for a punch in-punch out job, then WAC Lighting probably isn’t for you.

Advice to Management

Our strengths in this industry result from our ability to move the needle...continue to develop and invest in both research and talent to continue doing so.

"Abusive employee practices. Avoid at all costs."

I worked at WAC Lighting Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other than a good salary, no pros.

Cons

Abusive President. Sub-human working conditions. Overall deplorable.

Advice to Management

Any advice would fall on deaf ears as the horrible working conditions, even after HR was notified still continue. They should all be ashamed of themselves.

"Amazing company to work for!!!!"

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Upper Management listens to suggestions, as well as concerns. All job descriptions are clearly written. Expectations such as travel, and possibly of working beyond ones work schedule is clearly communicated.
    The interview process is conducted in a very professional manner.
    Whether you are an existing employee looking to excel into another position, or interviewing from the outside looking to join great teams.
    The company is very generous giving staff and their family extended weekend outings all expenses paid. I know of no other company who does this. No company has to make such an investment.
    Comfortable dress code, great communication among management, and HR has a great open door policy.

You will have the opportunity to meet great people at WAC.

Cons

Be prepared to work hard!!! Your efforts will not go unnoticed, or uncompensated.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. The company is growing, expanding, and breaking new ground.

"A Great Company to Work for with Plenty of Opportunities for Advancement!"

Current Employee - Business Development in Port Washington, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in Port Washington, NY

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Why I believe WAC Lighting is a great place to work:

1. An abundance of possibilities for career advancement, with an average promotion cycle of less than 2 years:

I have witnessed many of my own team members advance their careers with opportunities to pivot into horizontal and vertical business units.
    Person A: Lighting Services (Customer Service) > Business Development Associate > IOT Product Manager
    Person B: Lighting Services (Customer Service) > to Business Development Associate > Territory Sales Manager > National Sales Manager.
    Person C: Warehouse Picker/Packer > Lighting Services (Customer Service) > Business Development Associate > Senior Business Development Associate > Territory Sales Manager.
    Person D: Marketing Intern > Marketing Associate > Marketing Manager.

2. WAC Lighting fosters an environment where team members of all work ethics can co-exist. There are folks who come to work, put in their 9 to 5 and get the job done, then there are those who work long hours and very hard to overachieve. It should come as no surprise that compensation is a function of work experience, education, ethic, and overall contribution to team success. WAC is know to pay very well for those with strong work ethic and an appetite for overachievement.

3. I have seen many companies mature or regress because they fail to innovate. WAC Lighting is no stranger to innovation and is constantly investing in innovative tools for their workforce and products.

Cons

Travel may be part of your career development if you perform a function related to the factory or trade shows (marketing, R&D, Business Development), or are promoted to a manager. There are major lighting trade shows (Lightovation and Lightfair) where 2-3 weeks of travel can be expected. These are opportunities to learn about the business and industry. Not everyone can handle that - be sure to communicate this from the onset.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing:

1. Promote and provide opportunities to the employees who are committed,
    2. Foster an environment where team members of all work ethics can co-exist.
    3. Continue to innovate!

"Growing/Technology Leader"

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time

Pros

The Company's drive to be a leader in advanced technology and superior products and service provides many opportunities for growth and learning and new challenges . We have an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and kind individuals who are inspiring and fun to work with.

There is one thing that WAC does that no other company can, culture. We have the best company culture that I have seen in a long time. It's similar to a startup where it moves fast but you play a part in decision making toward big things. Stakeholders regularly solicit my options. Even if they may not agree my suggestions, they are always taken into consideration.

Cons

Communication across departments could use improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees

"Do not take this job, there is no positions at this company that is worth the stress and frustration."

I worked at WAC Lighting Company full-time

Pros

Good People
    Free Coffee
    Decent Salary
    Job Security if you slave your life away

Cons

Zero work-life balance
    Micro-management