WAC Lighting Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Tony Wang

"Great place to learn"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Washington, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Washington, NY

Pros

I started at WAC without any knowledge of lighting. I worked my way from a very entry level job and am now slowing climbing my way up the ladder. I've been there for a few years and have built some great work relationships with my colleagues. Overall, everyone is pleasant to work with. One thing I really love about this company is how much you can learn. If you want the training, your colleagues will take the time and teach you. I've even had one on one training scheduled because I was interested and wanted to learn more than the basics. There is a lot of room for growth if you know what you want and are willing to work for it. I've seen positions created for a specific person because they had something substantial to offer to the company and the customers. The turnaround rate is high, and I believe it is because if you can't cut it, they will cut you. And while that is harsh, it clears out room for people that really want it and will go the extra mile, and that's how you build a team of people who are dedicated and who will produce results. I know plenty of people that have been there for 10 or more years and I feel that it more than shows for itself it is a pretty sweet place to work at.
    Bottom line is, if you stay on top of your responsibilities and push past doing "just enough," a lot of doors will open for you in the company.

Cons

As with all workplaces, there are cliques and work politics. Personally, I find that if you play nice with everyone, no one really gives you any issues.

2. "Great place to work for some people, but there is major room for improvement"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Small enough team, so the high level executives are approachable. They give you a long leash in most departments. The organization open to change. They are in a period of high growth, so you can advance pretty fast if you're good and if you chummy up to the right people, but that is also a con.

Cons

Cliques, cliques everywhere. Advancement doesn't always depend on performance, sometimes it's who you know. High turnover, so careful who you get close to. The office politics can be a bit too much. Temperature is all over the place in the New York building.

Advice to Management

Revamp the review process, put in place a system for staff to review management anonymously, fix the air conditioning and insist on professional communication in the office. Also, there is no reason WAC should not have flex hours.

"Bad HR department"

Pros

Nice place to work, if you stay by yourself . You can't socialize

Cons

HR department is horrible, very none responsive to your needs as a emplo

WAC Lighting Company Response

Aug 17, 2016 – Human Resources

Thank you for your feedback. In our family and entrepreneurial culture, we always strive to exceed the expectations of our Team members.

"Great place to grow"

Former Employee - Business Development in Washington, DC
    Former Employee - Business Development in Washington, DC

I worked at WAC Lighting Company (More than a year)

Pros

I worked my way up in this company. Dirk Wald their VP of Sales/BD is an amazing mentor and someone I tried to sponge knowledge off of. The company really does take care of their employees, great bonuses, wonderful christmas party. Dirk and Shelley do engage with the sales team and you do feel that they care.

Cons

First year was rough, so rough that I almost quit my first week. If you start as an inside sales specialist, you will be taking calls in a call center and then trying to sell/assist a sales manager in your spare time. I was only interested in learning sales and hated the call center portion which took up most of the day...however, if you stick it through and get noticed they'll start shifting you to engaging in more sales work and less call work.

Advice to Management

Look for Sales Managers that will mentor Inside Sales Specialist. I was lucky to have one, but I know for many they weren't.

"Great place to work!"

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time

Pros

Team is high energy...Company culture is fun! Senior leadership listens to ideas and suggestions. Every person at all levels has a chance to make an impact.

Cons

You will work hard...fast paced environment but accomplishments are recognized.

Advice to Management

Company is growing fast. Keep hiring to support growth.

"Growing extremely fast and very entrepreneurial"

Current Employee - Sales in Port Washington, NY

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Senior Management is very open to process improvements. They want thinkers not robots.
    Growing company with assets to invest.
    Solid bonus plans tied to company performance.
    Room for growth in all departments.
    Industry is booming with new innovations.
    Family orientated, values your longevity and loyalty.
    Not a lot of red tape.

Cons

Not really a con, but employees have to be fast paced and think on their feet.

Advice to Management

None

8. "Mid size lighting manufacturer - family company"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Port Washington, NY
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Port Washington, NY

I worked at WAC Lighting Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Family owned, president of company and her husband are very nice people who care about their staff and organize events throughout the year to keep the spirit going.
    Good for entry level kids out of college with no experience , they recruit on this segment heavily
    Pay is OK.
    Entry level experience gained here can get you a potentially better job.

Cons

Humongous turnover rate with employees, inside sales manager and the term micro mananegement is an UNDERSTATEMENT. Give employees some freedom to make independent decisions and not weigh in as much on monitoring employees like CCTV.
    Not much promotional growth. They know they are a company that harvests fresh college grads and turns them out.

Advice to Management

Do not police your staff like a penitentiary. Give more opportunities for promotion or maybe a commission base. Recruit professionals and you may have more longevity with your staff.

9. "This company is going places!"

Pros

Energetic, innovative, entrepreneurial environment. Great place for those who want to make an impact and contribute to company success. Leadership listens and accomplishments are noticed. Fun to be part of a fast growing company!

Cons

None worth mentioning.

10. "A Close Family Run Business"

Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Garden City, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Coordinator in Garden City, NY

I worked at WAC Lighting Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

WAC Lighting has a young energetic staff. The customer service call center is very efficient. the team managed to build a "family" environment aside form management.

Cons

There are some stringent rules that could be more a bit more relaxed. As with most jobs there are a lot of internal politics. Sometimes the politics can slow down your work production,

Advice to Management

I would say they should trust employees more in their job.

11. "One of the most professional companies I've ever worked for."

I worked at WAC Lighting Company full-time

Pros

WAC is an amazing company and a pleasure to work for. They are fair in every aspect and are above average in salary and benefits. With their focus on the sustainability of their products, they are forward thinkers who have the big picture in mind over their competition. The people are what makes this company what it is. Everyone is highly trained at their respective positions and their Inside Sales Staff is 2nd to none in their knowledge of their products inside and out. WAC empowers their staff across the board to do whatever is necessary to take care of the customer within reasonable limits.

Cons

If there has to be a con, it would only be that they don't cover enough categories in the lighting industry. But they have introduced some new LED decorative recently so that covers one of those lacking categories.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Your customers and reps appreciate your hard work on R&D and bringing the right product to the table. Your employees are happy and well trained. Bring some of the Inside Staff to Dallas Market on a rotating schedule and let them invest in the industry beyond WAC.