WAC Lighting Company Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.7
Tony Wang

Sort: PopularRatingDate

"Take Your Career to the Next Level with WAC"

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

On my first day I coincidentally met the owners family and since that day I’ve been treated as an extension of same. The leadership team is comprised of hungry, creative minds, who don’t settle for anything less than their best. There are plenty of mentorship opportunities in various departments. I’ve witnessed colleagues come in and build long lasting careers - sometimes switching departments that were more in line with their career goals. At this company, one can start in order entry, HR, or sales, and end up in marketing if that’s their ambition. Since my start date, HR has reached out to me several times to ensure I was settled in and had everything I needed. In fact, they contacted me this week because they noticed I had not taken advantage of a benefit I was qualified to receive.

Cons

You will not advance if you are unwilling to learn and take risk.

Advice to Management

Please continue radically investing in technology and innovative product offerings.

"Abusive employee practices. Avoid at all costs."

I worked at WAC Lighting Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Other than a good salary, no pros.

Cons

Abusive President. Sub-human working conditions. Overall deplorable.

Advice to Management

Any advice would fall on deaf ears as the horrible working conditions, even after HR was notified still continue. They should all be ashamed of themselves.

3. "Passionate and energetic family owned business"

Current Employee - Sales Manager
    Current Employee - Sales Manager

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Working for a family owned company comes with great advantages. The benefits with WAC are very good- healthcare plan, 401k, vacation/sick time are plentiful, etc. This company is constantly growing and with that comes infinite opportunities for both personal and professional growth. As one of the few remaining family owned manufactures in this industry, WAC Lighting encourages a real “We’re all in this together” atmosphere. At any given moment you could be working side by side with the President or the VP of the company.

Cons

Ive described to other industry peers that working at WAC is not a job…it’s a lifestyle. No matter your role within this team you have to be prepared to give your very best effort. If you’re looking for a punch in-punch out job, then WAC Lighting probably isn’t for you.

Advice to Management

Our strengths in this industry result from our ability to move the needle...continue to develop and invest in both research and talent to continue doing so.

"Amazing company to work for!!!!"

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Upper Management listens to suggestions, as well as concerns. All job descriptions are clearly written. Expectations such as travel, and possibly of working beyond ones work schedule is clearly communicated.
    The interview process is conducted in a very professional manner.
    Whether you are an existing employee looking to excel into another position, or interviewing from the outside looking to join great teams.
    The company is very generous giving staff and their family extended weekend outings all expenses paid. I know of no other company who does this. No company has to make such an investment.
    Comfortable dress code, great communication among management, and HR has a great open door policy.

You will have the opportunity to meet great people at WAC.

Cons

Be prepared to work hard!!! Your efforts will not go unnoticed, or uncompensated.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what your doing. The company is growing, expanding, and breaking new ground.

"A Great Company to Work for with Plenty of Opportunities for Advancement!"

Current Employee - Business Development in Port Washington, NY
    Current Employee - Business Development in Port Washington, NY

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Why I believe WAC Lighting is a great place to work:

1. An abundance of possibilities for career advancement, with an average promotion cycle of less than 2 years:

I have witnessed many of my own team members advance their careers with opportunities to pivot into horizontal and vertical business units.
    Person A: Lighting Services (Customer Service) > Business Development Associate > IOT Product Manager
    Person B: Lighting Services (Customer Service) > to Business Development Associate > Territory Sales Manager > National Sales Manager.
    Person C: Warehouse Picker/Packer > Lighting Services (Customer Service) > Business Development Associate > Senior Business Development Associate > Territory Sales Manager.
    Person D: Marketing Intern > Marketing Associate > Marketing Manager.

2. WAC Lighting fosters an environment where team members of all work ethics can co-exist. There are folks who come to work, put in their 9 to 5 and get the job done, then there are those who work long hours and very hard to overachieve. It should come as no surprise that compensation is a function of work experience, education, ethic, and overall contribution to team success. WAC is know to pay very well for those with strong work ethic and an appetite for overachievement.

3. I have seen many companies mature or regress because they fail to innovate. WAC Lighting is no stranger to innovation and is constantly investing in innovative tools for their workforce and products.

Cons

Travel may be part of your career development if you perform a function related to the factory or trade shows (marketing, R&D, Business Development), or are promoted to a manager. There are major lighting trade shows (Lightovation and Lightfair) where 2-3 weeks of travel can be expected. These are opportunities to learn about the business and industry. Not everyone can handle that - be sure to communicate this from the onset.

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing:

1. Promote and provide opportunities to the employees who are committed,
    2. Foster an environment where team members of all work ethics can co-exist.
    3. Continue to innovate!

"Growing/Technology Leader"

I have been working at WAC Lighting Company full-time

Pros

The Company's drive to be a leader in advanced technology and superior products and service provides many opportunities for growth and learning and new challenges . We have an exceptional team of talented, dedicated and kind individuals who are inspiring and fun to work with.

There is one thing that WAC does that no other company can, culture. We have the best company culture that I have seen in a long time. It's similar to a startup where it moves fast but you play a part in decision making toward big things. Stakeholders regularly solicit my options. Even if they may not agree my suggestions, they are always taken into consideration.

Cons

Communication across departments could use improvement.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your employees

"Do not take this job, there is no positions at this company that is worth the stress and frustration."

I worked at WAC Lighting Company full-time

Pros

Good People
    Free Coffee
    Decent Salary
    Job Security if you slave your life away

Cons

Zero work-life balance
    Micro-management
    Organization
    High turn over rate
    Fear

"Consider Wisely...."

I worked at WAC Lighting Company full-time

Pros

I feel inclined to write this review if it could help any person at all from seriously considering making a move here.

This company is entrepreneurial meaning if you don’t run with the dogs, expect to be eaten. The entire company is built on fear and stress. You are overworked, underpaid and underappreciated. These kinds of attributes make sense for the CEO and her family since it is her business, but she should not expect her employees to follow suit when they are undermined and not fairly compensated on a daily basis. A lot of the current employees have a long tenure with the company based on the great structure built by the former CEO (current CEO’s father). Due to this, they are loyal, however this company is not professional at all and I am surprised has not received a report on workplace abuse. The turnover is high based on the ridiculous standards and expectations. There is absolutely no job security.

The employees themselves are nice, granted in every company there’s cliques. Yes, they do give away this grand trip 1x a year, but trust me it is EXTREMELY well deserved. Also, ultimately you’re vacationing with your boss and fellow colleagues so you can take that as you please.

I would never discourage anyone from applying, but I would just suggest that you do A LOT of research and ask A LOT of questions before considering your move.

Cons

Poor leadership, Poor Management, No work-life balance

Advice to Management

Take these reviews into consideration. Remain humble and grateful that you have a company with dedicated employees. Do not treat them poorly.

"Accounting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Washington, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Port Washington, NY

I worked at WAC Lighting Company full-time

Pros

Some amicable Employers
    Casual work environment
    extremely exemplary workplace

Cons

most of your days will be calamitous due to a lack of a forbearance from employers and managers who will assign you innumerable assignments daily

expect compulsory overtime

expect to be very contingent upon yourself when completing assignments,
    deferring to most employees will only result in them vilifying you in the open office, causing complete mortification

Managers, Directors, and HR will listen to any quandaries you have, however will take little to no action in unraveling them

Advice to Management

Start listening to the lower staff, and have them address their main issues of concern.
    Instead of commenting back on these Glassdoor reviews, reflect on what is written here, and ameliorate the company as a whole

"Terrible Management"

I worked at WAC Lighting Company full-time

Pros

great benefits, discount on lighting product

Cons

Horrible management and CEO. Work environment is broken & negative. Working overtime is expected and no is not an option. No organization from management.

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, don't micromanage, adhere to a schedule and don't run the dept like a queen, so your staff works because they fear you rather than respect you.

WAC Lighting Company Response

Oct 10, 2017 – Human Resources

Thank you for the feedback. We are a fast growing business and that comes with having a Team that can meet the needs of the business. When the business wins we all win.