WAND Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave Perrill

Pros
  • There are some good people there, a lot of the culture has changed (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of great people in a fun environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a little iffy sometimes (in 4 reviews)

• HIGH turnover with huge swings -- Hire 10 positions one quarter, eliminate 15 positions the next, and so on (in 4 reviews)

"New Leaders with Clearer Direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New Leadership. From what I know and have seen and heard about past leaders here - WAND has made major improvements with new leadership hires compared to who was here in the past. As you are reading this, recognize that the old reviews are justified (sometimes overly harsh and outlandish in some cases), but know that WAND has gathered "the troops" and has set a clear direction moving forward.

Lots of great people in a fun environment. Product that continues to improve and marketplace that is wide open. Access to leadership: can stop in their office at any time and they will answer your questions, provide guidance and are open to new ideas. Advancement opportunities: the company had to look itself in the mirror 6 months ago and make difficult decisions that opened the door for advancement now and for the future as the company grows.

Cons

The PAST and reputation. WAND definitely didn't do things right in the past. They made mistakes (hiring the wrong people, leading without a plan and allowing people to 'do what they wanted' - leading to a culture of entitlement, lack of cohesiveness and process). Getting over their past mistakes and earning people's trust is the biggest hurdle I see.

Advice to Management

Continue to set a clear path for the company and communicate that vision. Make sure to hire the very best leaders to instill confidence in those who have been here through the tough times. Invest in the products and product designers to further our differentiators. Continue the fun environment and training.

"Challenge Yourself to be the Best"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Great changes are happening across the organization.
    -Great opportunities for individuals who like to solve business problems.
    -Great team of people who are committed to delivering success.

WAND is a challenging place to work and only those up for a challenge should apply. In my 5+ years of tenure at WAND, I have seen leadership changes in the company with varying degrees of success. The most recent changes focus on the best aspects of any technology company, hyper growth through market knowledge and market alignment. This vision and thought leadership are why I have extended my commitment to WAND.

WAND has always been supportive of the personal development of individuals on the team as well as my goals in life. As with any business, tough decisions happen, and WAND is the place where you need to push through challenges to find success. A former boss of mine asked me once, “Are you going to row harder or get off the ship?” In the last six months, I have been asked to row harder, and the result has been professional growth in ways that I only imagined before.

Some significant impacts have happened with the recent changes at WAND. The overall capability to deliver value into the marketplace is growing. The culture is shifting and becoming collaborative and inclusive. The problems we solve for businesses are becoming clearer and more relevant to our clients. Every day I come to work I see employees, customers, and leadership beginning to develop the healthy business processes that will fuel another generation of success.

WAND is in transition, and our innovation core is transforming into a reliable source of restaurant technology. I see many challenges ahead, and I am ready to tackle those challenges with people who are committed to building the most reliable source of restaurant technology in the world while developing our client’s profitability with our products and services.

Cons

-Some individuals may not like the unique challenges of delivering technology to the $782 billion restaurant industry.
    -WAND requires consistent high performance at all levels of the organization while not always clearly communicating expectations.

Advice to Management

Hire humble talent capable of driving WAND's value to the market through listening, understanding, and leadership.
    “We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” Epictetus

"Bright future"

Current Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of people and great culture. Executive team establishes a perfect level of work and play. In my last job, I felt negative pressure from my employer and would have night sweats stressing about work the next day. Not here. No micro-management, but a healthy management relationship.

Cons

It's a growing company that recently hit the 'reset' button, so there were some rough waters so to speak, but road ahead is looking good.
    -Product releases have been rough, but also improving.
    -Technology draws a lot of support calls, but all technology does.

Advice to Management

Focus on improving product capabilities, features, and reliability.

"Great people, great product, the sky is the limit"

Current Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had the pleasure of working at WAND for some time now. It has been the most enjoyable, challenging and fulfilling year professional path I have ever experienced.

The colleagues I have had the pleasure working with have truly become my friends, people I can count on to talk to, challenge me and socialize with.

The culture fosters true openness, allowing your voice to be heard. Candor is encouraged and problems are solved in a fashion that builds deep bonds between colleagues.

Leadership is approachable and encourages new ideas and they are always willing to help.

This is a place for those that are looking for a challenge, to be a part of a fast evolving market that holds with it endless possibilities and opportunities.

Great PTO.

Cons

Benefits package could use some work.

Currently a one product offering.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to those around you and keep fostering the culture that is so special at WAND.

"Great Company to Work For!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for WAND is its commitment to and appreciation for its employees. WAND goes out of its way to create a great environment for its employees, i.e. blizzards on Miracle Treat Day, summer BBQs, Shamrock shakes, donuts and muffins every Friday, bring your dog to work day on Fridays, etc. The executive team is receptive to and values any feedback and suggestions, from customers and employees. That feedback and suggestions have led to numerous processes being put in place and a much better version of WAND. I personally have played a significant part in growing my department and I feel like I am appreciated for all my hard work. Lastly, WAND moved in to a brand new building earlier this year. The building is absolutely gorgeous and will be able to support WAND's anticipated growth in the future.

Cons

WAND is trying to grow their business significantly. In the last three year, I have seen some growing pains, but every single growing pain has been turned into an improved process(es) so that the growing pain will not happen again in the future. The execute team values anyone's feedback or suggestions on how to make the company better. The company is at a significantly better place then when I started three years ago.

Advice to Management

Continue your efforts to make WAND's environment and culture a positive place to work. Continue to encourage employees to provide honest feedback and suggestions for improvements.

"Employee"

Pros

None. Family business that disregards others. Toxic business

Cons

Slaves, not a good spot. Horrid leadership

Advice to Management

Quit

"Huge potential but embarrassing and lackluster outcome"

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The main reason I went to work at WAND was the road map and innovation of where the product was headed...

Cool new building.

There are some good people there, a lot of the culture has changed.

If you are considering working there, I recommend you try and talk to someone who either works there or worked there in the recent past (that you trust) and make a decision on your own based on what you want for your own career.

Cons

The first con, however, is the fact that the development team can't produce a quality product in a timely fashion without major bugs. The only product they have to sell right now is digital menu boards. The POS, both versions, are in a state of despair and customers constantly complain about the product. Though the culture has changed over the years, it is still not near as good as 90% of the companies I've worked for in my career so there is still room for quite a bit of improvement.

The management team is 100% white men, which in this day and age, and in the software/technology industry, is unheard of, so if you are a woman you won't have any leaders around you except for the few managers or team leads. Diversity is not of importance at WAND, so if it is for your personally, not the place for you!

There is no room for advancement or movement in the company. Benefits are pretty not great except for PTO which they have made significant improvements on.

The development team is the "golden child" of the company and can completely bring the POS down for an entire day and yet there are no consequences. I'm 99% confident the positive reviews on this site are from the development team who also gets catered lunches and breakfasts (unlike the rest of the company). The development team was also allowed to "work from home" consistently or 4 - 10 hour days where no other teams were allowed that flexibility, including the sales team.

Most of the VP team is arrogant enough to believe they know the best way to develop a product vs. engage with the current customer base. Many customers left during my time there due to issues with the product, both POS and digital menu boards. If you've worked in software companies before, beware, they do not adhere to typical product releases like any other software company out there does - nor do they release software release notes. There is a huge amount of not only turnover but layoffs in the company, in less than a year, I saw rounds of layoffs occur across every department, except development.

It is not a team atmosphere -even within teams, or cross-departmentally, teams are very siloed and communication is not good. The "rock-star" mentality is overkill to hide the poison going on within the organization (it's not all gone) and it's completely fake.

Advice to Management

Stop preaching integrity and get rid of those in your VP team, as well as elsewhere in the organization, who have zero integrity. If employees can see VP's don't have integrity (by saying untrue claims to customers in front of fellow WAND employees), why would they believe integrity is actually a core value?

Positive attitude shouldn't be a core value when it creates false positivity about the outlook of the company - thinking you are the best in the market and ignoring what your competitors are doing because of the arrogance within the leadership team will only hurt the organization, as I believe it already has and will continue to do so unless changed. Maybe try being a culture of accountability instead, it might actually result in some success.

Favoritism is shown to individuals based on how much they are liked and then those favored individuals get away with with not being accountable to successfully perform in their role, get to work from home, etc, that others are not allowed to do (comes from the CEO through the VP team and down).

Listen to your customers!!!!!!!!

I would also recommend hiring more middle managers vs. staff reporting directly to VP's for most of the company - good ones, who can actually encourage staff growth and development.

"Great Place to Work - Don't Believe the Bad Reviews"

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First, if you're a potential employee, don't get scared off by the negative reviews. I was in your shoes once I and chose to the ignore the bad reviews I found on Glassdoor and I've been incredibly happy here, more so than at any other job. Many people in the negative reviews are outright lying about certain things.

Now for the pros...awesome culture. Friendly, direct, no politics or BS. Current president Dave is a phenomenal leader. Very down to earth and interacts with all employees. Fast-paced, decisions and changes happen fast, you don't have to wait years for leaders to move like some other companies. Leaders are held accountable for their actions. You have the freedom to do what you need to do in your job. They only hire for specific qualities and they are very choosy about who they hire (you don't get warm bodies here). They will also fire people if the fit isn't right, if the performance isn't there, etc. which means if you're a high performer you won't get bogged down by low performers on your team for long.

Cons

I'm not going to hold back here. Medical benefits are a disaster if you need to support your family (cost is high, coverage is crap and maternity pay sucks).

Advice to Management

I know there are big changes coming but do whatever you need to do to keep the great culture going.

WAND Corporation Response

Aug 11, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review!

"Stay away - It's a failure waiting to implode."

Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Its a job, you get paid.Some of the people are very nice but it is the good old boys club.

Cons

Super patriarochal and woman are not treated with any respect here. Good old boys club to say the least.
    No work life balance, with little room to grow.

Advice to Management

Sell the place.

"Better that you don't ..."

Pros

• Decent PTO/vacation benefits -- Having been here about 2 years I get a little over 3 weeks paid time off which is better than I expected

Cons

• Generally disappointing product

Advice to Management

Nothing that isn't already in the reviews here or the employee surveys we provide you. You've really got to figure it out.