WAND Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

WAND Corporation Reviews

1.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Dave Perrill

Pros
  • There are some good people there, a lot of the culture has changed (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of great people in a fun environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a little iffy sometimes (in 4 reviews)

• HIGH turnover with huge swings -- Hire 10 positions one quarter, eliminate 15 positions the next, and so on (in 4 reviews)

"Stay away - It's a failure waiting to implode."

Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Minneapolis, MN

Pros

Its a job, you get paid.Some of the people are very nice but it is the good old boys club.

Cons

Super patriarochal and woman are not treated with any respect here. Good old boys club to say the least.
    No work life balance, with little room to grow.

Advice to Management

Sell the place.

"Overwork yourself in a digital sweatshop where no creative inspiration is found."

Former Employee - Digital Designer in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Digital Designer in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Donut Fridays
    -Decent people
    -Arcade game (couldn't play/too busy)
    -Energy and attitude of president was great
    -In Eden Prairie (nice place to live in Minnesota)

Cons

As a creative professional, most of the digital designer position restricted creativity in almost every way. Designers were encouraged to be creative, but so many bogus tasks replaced design time (our profession). When the chance came to concept and design custom menu boards, almost no time was allowed. Lots of data entry and slapping on pre-existing design work was normal. The process was set up to fail, leaving a team staying late into the night very often. I just hope they have it better now, because it honestly put a depression on my life style. I'm talking about 2014, so who knows, maybe it is better now...

Also: PAY DESIGNERS what they should be payed. Especially overtime. I could have been rich with all the overtime done at Wand, and that's probably why they didn't grant it. Not a bonus of any kind in site. Happy hours do not make up for precious time lost. The position as a whole was strongly ill-advertised.

Again. Maybe the tides have turned, but that was my experience.

Advice to Management

- Pay close attention to each individual department and seek happiness amongst employees
    - Make sure management of creative services is full of creative people to promote creative ideas and processes (concepting, mood boards, etc.) (Not pricing changes and hours of excel doc matching)

WAND Corporation Response

Jan 1, 4713 – Director of HR

Appreciate your taking the time to submit a review. A lot has changed for the better since 2014 and many of the concerns in the review have been addressed including work/life balance, tasks the ... More

"Great place to get experience"

Former Employee - TAC Technician in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - TAC Technician in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a lot of opportunity to develop fast (in the TAC) you are kind of thrown to the wolves which is a good thing for I.T development and the TAC supervisor is a straight shooter and very fair in dealing with employees the Cons I have listed are not his fault. , past that I have nothing.

Cons

Staffing levels are a joke, they are 50% what they should be. Pay is horrible, especially for the work load. You can find a help desk job with a 30% higher start wage on half the work load in the Twin Cities pretty easily. Training is disorganized. The person who trains new hires also trains customers and is gone for half of your two week training period and employees are to busy to train, that is not the fault of the trainer, he does his best with the limited time he gets. Working overtime is expected, if you leave at the end of your shift it is looked down upon, you are expected to stay late. If the case count gets to high 4 hours of overtime is mandatory and you have to take it on your first day off not come in that night so part of your weekend is shot. You will always hear how they want to get things so good so you the techs in the TAC will have a low case load and can spend most of the day relaxing and putting out fires because they will hire enough people etc etc. I won't happen. If you have no experience and can handle high stress and dealing with phone calls from people with below average intelligence this job is a good place to start, the company is no place to have a career at.

Advice to Management

Hire more people in the TAC. Staffing levels make it impossible to make sure the cases don't fall out of SLA. The stress level and the low pay motivates the employees to find a new job and buy time until they do.

"Worst company I've ever worked for."

Former Employee - Supervisor/Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Supervisor/Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were the most dedicated and intelligent people I have ever worked with. I'd hire a former Wand employee in a heart beat. I also would like all to know that Chad was one of the best bosses I've ever had.

Cons

I literally had PTSD from working at Wand after I walked out. I vomited as soon as I got home and then spent several weeks in a confused paranoid haze. I am still affected now. I don't think I will ever be normal again.

My schedule was: wake up at 2:30am, work until 4:00am. Arrive at the office at 6:00am. Drive home at 6-6:30pm. Set my alarm for 11pm. Start an overnight procedure and then try to sleep for a few hours. Repeat. I was on call 24/7 and would receive calls from the overnight staff at 1am frequently.

This was my life before I completely lost it. I quit after my daughter said "Stop yelling at me." I hadn't even realized I was doing it and she had done nothing wrong.

Wand will bleed you dry and destroy your sanity. Please, for the love of your family, do not work there.

Advice to Management

It would seem that one can dress more casually now and Dave is now running the company which is a plus but please, please, please make the software work and hire additional staff when your middle managers ask for them. I probably would have stayed if I could have hired to my needs.

"The best employees leave."

Current Employee - Anonymous (They Would Fire Me) in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous (They Would Fire Me) in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Wand has paying customers who don't have enough money to buy a competing software so they keep paying Wand support (help desk) fees.

Cons

Management is the worst you'll ever work with. If you are going to be satisfied with the base salary you accept when you accept the job, and you don't need the benefits, and you just keep your head down and type code, you'll be okay. If you're a sales person / account manager you'll get canned if you don't become a help desk specialist (Learn to solve your own customer's problems yourself) or if you aren't the top salesperson in the group.

Firings seems to occur frequently despite the help desk being constantly under-staffed. Help desk tickets come in at a flooding rate. There is maybe a single employee who has been there over 10 years and he subscribes to the ownership's management style. (Not a compliment).

Management is abrasive and likes to get in verbal arguments in front of the employees. As an employee you can either take it and be publicly humiliated or argue back and risk being fired on the spot or harassed further.

Managements response to upset employees is "they should be thankful they have a job". This trumps any faults on managements behalf or any workplace issues.

Very few female employees were ever hired until a "newer age" managers spent stints there hiring some females. Since then it has gotten a little better. The HR lady was acquired when Wand purchased another company. All of the members of that company still have jobs.

The ownership has a separate bathroom only they can use. The public bathrooms don't have any paper towels (just hand blowers) and there is seldom soap available. Bathrooms are often crowded since some employees seem to hide there because they hate their jobs that much.

Help desk people get hired for one shift and can be re-assigned to a different shift after a couple weeks causing employees to have to quit.

There are things far worse than this regarding specific management that I refuse to go into more detail.

Advice to Management

Management is too ignorant to do what they need to do. Other reviewers had suggested it, but it will never change because it is a family run business.

"Truly sad, unhealthy environment"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation as a contractor (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good co workers who try hard to make a difference.

Cons

Turn over rate insane
    Always Get rid of people that make a difference
    Software is the reason for so many issues but blame it on everything/everyone else
    Owners will tell you one thing and do another
    Owners care ONLY about themselves and their money
    Unhappy customers
    Hazardous building
    Always blame the employees when things go wrong but half the time a paticular owner told you to do it a paticular way. It always comes back to bite you.
    They have a free lunch club for "special" people every single day. If your not special too bad.
    Owners bring their kids in and they run wild every Friday and disrupt business.

Advice to Management

You should really take a look at all these reviews. Each person that has posted has pretty much posted the same thing over and over again. Please really take a look at what you are doing. Obviously there is an issue.

"Worst company you can imagine!!"

Former Employee - Help Desk in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Help Desk in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are people there who truly want to do the right thing although afraid to as it is frowned upon to stand up for what's right. There are people who want to believe that things will get better. There have been some new people brought in the door who are desperately trying to help.

Cons

There is a strong concern in the senior leadership team related to the entitlement attitude, lack of leadership and vision, lack of integrity, lack of accountability in most areas, lack of teamwork unless pointing fingers counts, and extremely poor treatment of employees.

It appears as though anyone brought in who actually makes changes for the better doesn't last long before being driven away or simply leaving frustrated.

one department is the dumping ground for all the company's failures. This area gets beat up nonstop. They take all the blame for all the other failures of the company. They have been through roughly nine rounds of leadership as a result.

Don’t be exempt or you will certainly be working massive hours. It is a company expectation.

the building is disgusting, dirty, massive leaky roof crowded, no parking, parking lot in bad shape... Bottom line there is nothing good about this building except the nice income for the owners and I am sure you can guess who owns it.

Advice to Management

You need some significant changes and you know who and what they are. If you tolerate the behavior much longer you won't have a business. You really have no idea how to run a successful company. Your best bet is to sell while you can.
    Your priorities of family, wallet, entitlement are certainly not going to help.

"Dismal,Unprofessional, Sad,Lack of leadership - DO NOT WORK HERE"

Current Employee - Technical Support in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Technical Support in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very good people who have given their time and Life to a company that will never appreciate them.

Cons

Leadership team that is manic
    Ever changing vision... No one knows what they are doing or why.
    Unhappy customers
    Unhealthy work expectations. If your not working then you are a slacker.. 45 hours a week at a minimum

Advice to Management

Sell the company and go away. Let someone who know what they are doing fix the mess that you have all created. Give the people how have worked for you a chance to save their jobs.

"Not a place to work if you are looking for stability"

Current Employee - Middle Management Position in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Middle Management Position in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great co-workers (non-executives)
    Possibility of "great-ness" if they changed they way they ran things

Cons

Executives (mostly all Perrill's) are in it for themselves and don't seem to care for their employee's or value their input.
    Benefits are the worst out there by any company, they may as well not even offer them that's how bad they are.
    Their "big picture" mentality is always going to keep them from succeeding, exec's seem to expect to much and promise what they cannot deliver.
    "Key" management in certain area's are clueless as to what needs to be done or how to create successful processes.

Advice to Management

This company depends to much on the "higher up's" and not enough on the people who make a difference. Layoff's and firing's seem to be a staple in what your company is all about; which is a shame because if you gave people enough time you would be bound for greatness!
    Over my time there I have saw many come and many go. There are people who should have been offered incentive to stay, positions that were eliminated that were needed and would have made a world of good, and big layoff's in area's where they couldn't be afforded.
    In my opinion you hold on to some employee's because of "loyalty" (HR for example) when those hours could be cut. Because it's family owned you pay yourselves enormous salaries, when if you took a cut yourself you could keep some of those "key" people and not have to let others go.
    It is sad to say that this is not a company to work for if you are looking for stability as the sad truth is you probably will not last more that 5 months. I wish I had a better review of this company because they could do great things, but they always let the good ones with idea's go and never allow them to grow.

"Please listen to the warnings- do not work here!"

Former Employee - Implementation Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Implementation Project Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

Pros

There were several friendly people that I meant and shared similar struggles with regarding Wand and its issues and there were good resume' buildign opportunities.

Cons

Very low pay and you can never work enough hours to please the Perrills. A dirty building with inadequate ventilation in the "gymnasium" where the cube farm is located....seriously the place smells. Wand upholds a strict revolving door policy and they do not care about their employees at all. Do not plan on being rewarded for any successes -expect longer hours instead.

Advice to Management

Sell your company to Wendy's and let a real business fix all the problems you have created.