WAND Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 25, 2017

4.0
Dave Perrill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are some good people there, a lot of the culture has changed (in 5 reviews)

• Great environment for getting to excel, but the training wheels come off quick (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a little iffy sometimes (in 4 reviews)

• HIGH turnover with huge swings -- Hire 10 positions one quarter, eliminate 15 positions the next, and so on (in 4 reviews)

1. "TAC Technician"

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time

Pros

Great Atmosphere, Constant learning opportunities, Good Teamwork

Cons

Call volume can be extremely high

2. "Technical Support"

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time

Pros

Great Environment, good people even better training

Cons

Not a lot of growth

"New Leaders with Clearer Direction"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

New Leadership. From what I know and have seen and heard about past leaders here - WAND has made major improvements with new leadership hires compared to who was here in the past. As you are reading this, recognize that the old reviews are justified (sometimes overly harsh and outlandish in some cases), but know that WAND has gathered "the troops" and has set a clear direction moving forward.

Lots of great people in a fun environment. Product that continues to improve and marketplace that is wide open. Access to leadership: can stop in their office at any time and they will answer your questions, provide guidance and are open to new ideas. Advancement opportunities: the company had to look itself in the mirror 6 months ago and make difficult decisions that opened the door for advancement now and for the future as the company grows.

Cons

The PAST and reputation. WAND definitely didn't do things right in the past. They made mistakes (hiring the wrong people, leading without a plan and allowing people to 'do what they wanted' - leading to a culture of entitlement, lack of cohesiveness and process). Getting over their past mistakes and earning people's trust is the biggest hurdle I see.

Advice to Management

Continue to set a clear path for the company and communicate that vision. Make sure to hire the very best leaders to instill confidence in those who have been here through the tough times. Invest in the products and product designers to further our differentiators. Continue the fun environment and training.

"Challenge Yourself to be the Best"

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

-Great changes are happening across the organization.
    -Great opportunities for individuals who like to solve business problems.
    -Great team of people who are committed to delivering success.

WAND is a challenging place to work and only those up for a challenge should apply. In my 5+ years of tenure at WAND, I have seen leadership changes in the company with varying degrees of success. The most recent changes focus on the best aspects of any technology company, hyper growth through market knowledge and market alignment. This vision and thought leadership are why I have extended my commitment to WAND.

WAND has always been supportive of the personal development of individuals on the team as well as my goals in life. As with any business, tough decisions happen, and WAND is the place where you need to push through challenges to find success. A former boss of mine asked me once, “Are you going to row harder or get off the ship?” In the last six months, I have been asked to row harder, and the result has been professional growth in ways that I only imagined before.

Some significant impacts have happened with the recent changes at WAND. The overall capability to deliver value into the marketplace is growing. The culture is shifting and becoming collaborative and inclusive. The problems we solve for businesses are becoming clearer and more relevant to our clients. Every day I come to work I see employees, customers, and leadership beginning to develop the healthy business processes that will fuel another generation of success.

WAND is in transition, and our innovation core is transforming into a reliable source of restaurant technology. I see many challenges ahead, and I am ready to tackle those challenges with people who are committed to building the most reliable source of restaurant technology in the world while developing our client’s profitability with our products and services.

Cons

-Some individuals may not like the unique challenges of delivering technology to the $782 billion restaurant industry.
    -WAND requires consistent high performance at all levels of the organization while not always clearly communicating expectations.

Advice to Management

Hire humble talent capable of driving WAND's value to the market through listening, understanding, and leadership.
    “We have two ears and one mouth so that we can listen twice as much as we speak.” Epictetus

"Great people, great product, the sky is the limit"

Current Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have had the pleasure of working at WAND for some time now. It has been the most enjoyable, challenging and fulfilling year professional path I have ever experienced.

The colleagues I have had the pleasure working with have truly become my friends, people I can count on to talk to, challenge me and socialize with.

The culture fosters true openness, allowing your voice to be heard. Candor is encouraged and problems are solved in a fashion that builds deep bonds between colleagues.

Leadership is approachable and encourages new ideas and they are always willing to help.

This is a place for those that are looking for a challenge, to be a part of a fast evolving market that holds with it endless possibilities and opportunities.

Great PTO.

Cons

Benefits package could use some work.

Currently a one product offering.

Advice to Management

Continue listening to those around you and keep fostering the culture that is so special at WAND.

"Great Company to Work For!!"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The best thing about working for WAND is its commitment to and appreciation for its employees. WAND goes out of its way to create a great environment for its employees, i.e. blizzards on Miracle Treat Day, summer BBQs, Shamrock shakes, donuts and muffins every Friday, bring your dog to work day on Fridays, etc. The executive team is receptive to and values any feedback and suggestions, from customers and employees. That feedback and suggestions have led to numerous processes being put in place and a much better version of WAND. I personally have played a significant part in growing my department and I feel like I am appreciated for all my hard work. Lastly, WAND moved in to a brand new building earlier this year. The building is absolutely gorgeous and will be able to support WAND's anticipated growth in the future.

Cons

WAND is trying to grow their business significantly. In the last three year, I have seen some growing pains, but every single growing pain has been turned into an improved process(es) so that the growing pain will not happen again in the future. The execute team values anyone's feedback or suggestions on how to make the company better. The company is at a significantly better place then when I started three years ago.

Advice to Management

Continue your efforts to make WAND's environment and culture a positive place to work. Continue to encourage employees to provide honest feedback and suggestions for improvements.

7. "QA"

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time

Pros

They are some nice people.

Cons

They don't seem to plan very well.

WAND Corporation Response

Aug 11, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you for your review!

"Great dynamic, room for improvement"

Current Employee - Informed & Thorough Reviewer
    Current Employee - Informed & Thorough Reviewer

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great workplace culture, with lots of fun team/department/company events
    - Working with some very cool tech, and ongoing R&D
    - Team approach to problem solving
    - Lots of opportunity to stand out/for promotions
    - Game room
    - Great coworkers
    - Working with every fast food brand you can think of
    - Steady upward trends in employee satisfaction, culture, growth, and overall velocity

Cons

- Work/life balance can be a little iffy sometimes
    - Small building space (being resolved at end of year with new facilities)
    - Some department heads make a habit of shrugging of ownership of problems, causing other teams to have to pick up the slack
    - Difficulty hiring fresh talent due to lower than average pay/benefits packages
    - Lack of internal training programs, both for new-hires and on-going

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing on the business side, but pay more attention to the fact that your employees have given up a lot to make this company successful, and will sooner or later demand compensation or leave you. It's sad to see good talent leave just because a less capable company is willing to pay them more.

"Help desk"

Current Employee - QSR Help Desk Technician in Shakopee, MN
    Current Employee - QSR Help Desk Technician in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to advance in positions
    Work on proprietary systems
    Upcoming Tier change that opens multiple positions
    Full reimbursement for certification tests (if passed)

Cons

Low staffing for an expanding company
    No company sponsored training for certifications

Advice to Management

Hire more staff to fill needed positions and to cover expansion into menu board support
    Provide additional training on planned changes to support

10. "WAND has all the potential in the world; with the right leadership now in place, it's a great company to be a part of."

Former Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WAND's senior leadership truly cares for their employees. It's a 'work hard, play hard' mentality, which in my mind is definitely a "pro". The company vision is spot-on and the organization has the opportunity to grow exponentially these next 1-5 years.

Cons

Family owned organizations obviously bring different dynamics into play, however, the politics side of the equation has drastically changed (in a good way) in the past 12 months or so. The only two true thugs to mention here is the inability to execute on a consistent basis (which also is drastically improving by the day) and the lack of parking due to continuous growth.

Advice to Management

Having layers within the organization is extremely important - the advice would be to continue growing the middle level management while simultaneously bringing in appropriate talent for leadership.