WAND Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

WAND Corporation Reviews

5.0
Dave Perrill

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are some good people there, a lot of the culture has changed (in 5 reviews)

• Great environment for getting to excel, but the training wheels come off quick (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a little iffy sometimes (in 4 reviews)

• HIGH turnover with huge swings -- Hire 10 positions one quarter, eliminate 15 positions the next, and so on (in 4 reviews)

"Bright future"

Current Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great group of people and great culture. Executive team establishes a perfect level of work and play. In my last job, I felt negative pressure from my employer and would have night sweats stressing about work the next day. Not here. No micro-management, but a healthy management relationship.

Cons

It's a growing company that recently hit the 'reset' button, so there were some rough waters so to speak, but road ahead is looking good.
    -Product releases have been rough, but also improving.
    -Technology draws a lot of support calls, but all technology does.

Advice to Management

Focus on improving product capabilities, features, and reliability.

2. "Software Development Intern"

Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Iowa City, IA
    Former Intern - Software Development Intern in Iowa City, IA

I worked at WAND Corporation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Every member of the development, dev-ops, product management, and executive teams, were great to work with, not only because they were positive and friendly in their interactions with each other and me, but also because they were always willing to give a helping hand in whatever project I worked on for them, and were truly invested in making sure my experience at the company was as beneficial to my learning and development as a programmer as it was to their goals.

Cons

On occasion during my time at WAND, some turmoil would briefly arise because of a lack of communication between the development team and either the executive team or the customer facing employees. This often caused a bit more tension around the work place for a period of time afterwards.

Advice to Management

Continue the on boarding process they have developed for new employees and interns, as the gradual introduction of the different parts of the company that will be relevant to their new position is very helpful in the long run.

"Great Place to Work - Don't Believe the Bad Reviews"

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

First, if you're a potential employee, don't get scared off by the negative reviews. I was in your shoes once I and chose to the ignore the bad reviews I found on Glassdoor and I've been incredibly happy here, more so than at any other job. Many people in the negative reviews are outright lying about certain things.

Now for the pros...awesome culture. Friendly, direct, no politics or BS. Current president Dave is a phenomenal leader. Very down to earth and interacts with all employees. Fast-paced, decisions and changes happen fast, you don't have to wait years for leaders to move like some other companies. Leaders are held accountable for their actions. You have the freedom to do what you need to do in your job. They only hire for specific qualities and they are very choosy about who they hire (you don't get warm bodies here). They will also fire people if the fit isn't right, if the performance isn't there, etc. which means if you're a high performer you won't get bogged down by low performers on your team for long.

Cons

I'm not going to hold back here. Medical benefits are a disaster if you need to support your family (cost is high, coverage is crap and maternity pay sucks).

Advice to Management

I know there are big changes coming but do whatever you need to do to keep the great culture going.

WAND Corporation Response

Aug 11, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you for taking the time to submit a review!

4. "Welcoming, encouraging, challenging"

Current Employee - Scrum Master
    Current Employee - Scrum Master

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time

Pros

Great interview, onboarding, and training process. WAND expects everyone to own their responsibilities and rewards commensurate with that autonomy. Great environment for getting to excel, but the training wheels come off quick. That's a breath of fresh air for me, but might throw some people off.

Cons

The rhetoric around "rock stars" can seem a bit corporate, but the intent is good. The departments in the company feel a little siloed at times, which means there's less opportunity for the kinds of cross-pollination that might lead to big changes.

401k matching is not great. Benefits are, in general, average to good, but disappointing compared to some other tech companies.

WAND Corporation Response

May 5, 2016 – Director of HR

Thank you for your review and feedback!

"Great Place to Work with Great Talent!"

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time

Pros

WAND employs so many talented and inspiring people. It's been great to learn from such highly skilled individuals. WAND makes a point of hiring people with positive attitudes which makes for a great working environment. Those who tend to have a toxic attitude don't last long, which is so refreshing after having worked at many places before where those individuals are allowed to stay a create drama for far longer than they should. At WAND you're left with a great bunch of people who are all working toward improving the company, improving their departments, and improving their roles. I always feel comfortable at WAND being very open and honest about issues I've experienced and ways to work through those issues. Everyone, including the CEO, are all very responsive to all ideas and suggestions. Obviously, not everything can be done right away, but you feel heard and that's a great first step. If you're a positive person who's driven and goal-oriented, you will be amongst friends here.

Cons

The hours can get long, but that's partially because I'm enjoying what I'm doing and want to keep working toward solving a problem.

Advice to Management

Keep going the direction you're going. I've heard that the company had struggled in the past and that's definitely NOT the company I see today. You're on the right track.

"My Favorite Place to Work by Far!"

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome colleagues
    No politics or unnecessary drama
    Competitive salary
    Fantastic senior leadership (they walk the talk)
    Nothing but pure growth ahead

Cons

Medical is expensive because we're a small company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Loving working here. Absolutely fantastic culture you've built.

"Great culture of growth"

Pros

WAND functions according to four key core values that serve as an absolute guide in hiring, team development, and a culture of:
    Integrity — Build a foundation of trust through honesty and integrity.
    Commitment — To our customers, our teams, and our company.
    Drive — Push ourselves and our company to get better every day.
    Attitude — Positivity is infectious and shows who truly wants to be here.
    They also have a really great game room!

Cons

The parking lot is a bit too small to accommodate all of the new employees. Hardwood floors are a bit of a distraction in the office when people are on the phone.

"Great company to grow, learn and build expertise"

Former Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology. Lot of opportunity to learn new tech and explore new technologies.

Cons

There is always a time-crunch and urgency.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to people and their skills. There are many good people.

9. "Good place to grow in your career"

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time

Pros

Openness, fun, employee growth, cool building, interesting products, fun people to work with

Cons

Parking is an issue and benefits are good but not perfect. Work hours are reasonable but work often comes home.

"Awesome place to work and your instantly part of the team!"

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great group of co-workers. Small enough company that you can know everyone in the building, Open to ideas and discussions. Plenty of room for advancement. The building is great, There is a lounge with couches and video games to enjoy on your breaks. Everyone is a rock-star and we all work together to make a great work environment. This is definitely a great place to work and I am new to the company, but I am extremely happy about where I am heading and how I feel working for the company.

Cons

I have enjoyed working for this company a lot thus far and I don't really have any con's. If I had to pick one thing, it would be the parking. With the company growing so rapidly, we need to acquire more parking spots.