WAND Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

WAND Corporation Reviews

Updated November 16, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • There are some good people there, a lot of the culture has changed (in 4 reviews)

• Lots of great people in a fun environment (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a little iffy sometimes (in 4 reviews)

• HIGH turnover with huge swings -- Hire 10 positions one quarter, eliminate 15 positions the next, and so on (in 4 reviews)

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are very aggressive about getting clients which is good for keeping the company successful. Also not afraid to try new technology.

Cons

They do no allocate enough time for projects, the timelines they want are just not realistic which causes problems. They also tend to go through a lot of people.

Advice to Management

Train the people you hire, don't just expect them to know everything and then let them go when they don't. It lowers moral for everyone.

2. "WAND has all the potential in the world; with the right leadership now in place, it's a great company to be a part of."

Former Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WAND's senior leadership truly cares for their employees. It's a 'work hard, play hard' mentality, which in my mind is definitely a "pro". The company vision is spot-on and the organization has the opportunity to grow exponentially these next 1-5 years.

Cons

Family owned organizations obviously bring different dynamics into play, however, the politics side of the equation has drastically changed (in a good way) in the past 12 months or so. The only two true thugs to mention here is the inability to execute on a consistent basis (which also is drastically improving by the day) and the lack of parking due to continuous growth.

Advice to Management

Having layers within the organization is extremely important - the advice would be to continue growing the middle level management while simultaneously bringing in appropriate talent for leadership.

"Come for starting work experience, leave for better pay"

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company does its best to try and accommodate you to find a schedule that works best for you.

Cons

Lack of promotions based on experience
    Low starting pay
    No training for new employees
    Mediocre benefits. Half the cost of the employee is covered, any dependents are paid 100% by employee. This means you and your spouse, health benefits would run you upwards of $500-600 a month. If you have a kid as well, you're looking closer to $900-1000. You're basically just working for benefits.
    Without an A+ and N+, do not expect to get promotions or get paid more while working at a company that is proprietary. In all honesty, the A+ and N+ are wasted here because you don't work on hardware and you don't do networking.
    Management is constantly changing the rules on how things should be done - this makes it very hard for the help desk team to do their job effectivly to assist the customers to the best of their abilities.
    Management is quick to punish/yell at employees instead of helping their employees do their job better.

Advice to Management

Promote experienced people. Show them you want them around because they can do the job.
    Increase pay for all levels on the help desk.

"Detrimental"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were the best part about this company. I'm still good friends with many of them today years after my exit.

Cons

The management and owners we're terrible. Poor moral. No plan to succeed. No to mention taking the wrong path to creating new product. Don't take untested product to your best customer and expect them to stick around.

Advice to Management

Letting me go was the best day of my life.

"Great company to grow, learn and build expertise"

Former Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Cutting edge technology. Lot of opportunity to learn new tech and explore new technologies.

Cons

There is always a time-crunch and urgency.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to people and their skills. There are many good people.

7. "Loads of unrecognized potential"

Current Employee - Account Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Account Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Relaxed work environment, great people that work hard and enjoy working together. If our product did what was advertised this company would be amazing! President is in the trenches and really believes in his people.

Cons

Massive divide between upper level management and working staff and rare opportunities to advance or get a raise. Really poor health insurance.

Advice to Management

Pay your good people what they are worth and they will bleed for you.

"Worst company I've ever worked for."

Former Employee - Supervisor/Manager in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Supervisor/Manager in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My co-workers were the most dedicated and intelligent people I have ever worked with. I'd hire a former Wand employee in a heart beat. I also would like all to know that Chad was one of the best bosses I've ever had.

Cons

I literally had PTSD from working at Wand after I walked out. I vomited as soon as I got home and then spent several weeks in a confused paranoid haze. I am still affected now. I don't think I will ever be normal again.

My schedule was: wake up at 2:30am, work until 4:00am. Arrive at the office at 6:00am. Drive home at 6-6:30pm. Set my alarm for 11pm. Start an overnight procedure and then try to sleep for a few hours. Repeat. I was on call 24/7 and would receive calls from the overnight staff at 1am frequently.

This was my life before I completely lost it. I quit after my daughter said "Stop yelling at me." I hadn't even realized I was doing it and she had done nothing wrong.

Wand will bleed you dry and destroy your sanity. Please, for the love of your family, do not work there.

Advice to Management

It would seem that one can dress more casually now and Dave is now running the company which is a plus but please, please, please make the software work and hire additional staff when your middle managers ask for them. I probably would have stayed if I could have hired to my needs.

"You can do better than this place - Help desk/Customer Service Rep."

Former Employee - Service Desk (Tier I, Second Shift) in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Service Desk (Tier I, Second Shift) in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- You work with some pretty nice people on the help desk.
    -They have an 'OK' pay scale, not that great in comparison with other help desks I've worked at.
    -Exterior of building is appealing
    -CEO is a cool dude.
    - 50 cents for pop. Greatest idea ever.
    -HQ is close to some good restaurants.
    -You work the schedule you choose. four 10 hour days.
    -Employee lounge is actually pretty nice.
    -If you like multiple monitors setups, you'll like this IT department.

Cons

-Those who are in a position of power will abuse that power and you (in some cases).
    -Scratched Interior floors and some walls have holes in them.
    -For any chance at a promotion, the minimum required employment is Two years, making career advancement a long term endeavor at Wand.
    -Benefits are just awful.
    - Some of the upper management are busy bodies and will stare at you while you work.
    - Many employees expressed a feeling of being imprisoned or stuck where they worked. When someone left it was always immediately or within a two days notice.
    - Documentation of procedures is almost nonexistent.
    -Training is rushed and pretty bad.
    -Trainer is a harsh personality at best.
    - Attendance is harshly scrutinized. 10 minutes late is grounds for suspension without pay, even with prior notice.

Advice to Management

Take a good look at who you have running your departments. These are the people who are controlling the moral and are managing the employees who directly effect your customers. Without good leadership, you can expect abysmal attitude those on your help desk eventually adopted. The biggest issue you have is the management 'harassing' your employees.

10. "Getting better, but room to improve still"

Current Employee - Undisclosed in Eden Prairie, MN
    Current Employee - Undisclosed in Eden Prairie, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Currently there's a big push to build a better employee culture - new video game lounge, more recreational activities, etc.

Company is finally stabilizing software thanks to building up employee base. This makes life a little easier on everyone.

New executive structure is proving beneficial, even if changes are slow. (Note - John Perrill Jr. is not the CEO. WAND does not have a CEO - it has a President; Dave Perrill).

Sales no longer driving development - company is selling features they actually have vs. selling vapor ware and being forced to build based on customer whims.

Cons

Low pay, and doesn't look like this will change any time soon. Company is regularly 15%-20% below glassdoor average pay rates.

High expectations - salaried employees regularly expected to work overtime with no compensation or benefits.

Old guard. There is an 'old boys' club at WAND which is refusing to let go of old structure and ways which have continually proved problematic. They're slowly being forced into new structure, but this is a painful process.

Advice to Management

You can't be an innovative company without debt. Pay your employees what they're worth if you want to demand innovation and excellence. If you pay Super America wages, you will get Super America quality.

"Small company with big dreams. Help desk is a good place for a newcomer to IT field. They allow you to make mistakes."

Former Employee - Help Desk in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good place to learn basics of IT.
    Company pays half of health insurance.

Cons

Promotions from outside the company.
    Nepotism.
    Lunchroom
    High expecations for little pay.

Advice to Management

Promote from within.