WAND Corporation Reviews | Glassdoor

WAND Corporation Reviews

Updated June 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • There are some good people there, a lot of the culture has changed (in 5 reviews)

• Great environment for getting to excel, but the training wheels come off quick (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a little iffy sometimes (in 4 reviews)

• HIGH turnover with huge swings -- Hire 10 positions one quarter, eliminate 15 positions the next, and so on (in 4 reviews)

"Great dynamic, room for improvement"

Current Employee - Informed & Thorough Reviewer
    Current Employee - Informed & Thorough Reviewer

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Great workplace culture, with lots of fun team/department/company events
    - Working with some very cool tech, and ongoing R&D
    - Team approach to problem solving
    - Lots of opportunity to stand out/for promotions
    - Game room
    - Great coworkers
    - Working with every fast food brand you can think of
    - Steady upward trends in employee satisfaction, culture, growth, and overall velocity

Cons

- Work/life balance can be a little iffy sometimes
    - Small building space (being resolved at end of year with new facilities)
    - Some department heads make a habit of shrugging of ownership of problems, causing other teams to have to pick up the slack
    - Difficulty hiring fresh talent due to lower than average pay/benefits packages
    - Lack of internal training programs, both for new-hires and on-going

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing on the business side, but pay more attention to the fact that your employees have given up a lot to make this company successful, and will sooner or later demand compensation or leave you. It's sad to see good talent leave just because a less capable company is willing to pay them more.

"Great Place to Work with Great Talent!"

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time

Pros

WAND employs so many talented and inspiring people. It's been great to learn from such highly skilled individuals. WAND makes a point of hiring people with positive attitudes which makes for a great working environment. Those who tend to have a toxic attitude don't last long, which is so refreshing after having worked at many places before where those individuals are allowed to stay a create drama for far longer than they should. At WAND you're left with a great bunch of people who are all working toward improving the company, improving their departments, and improving their roles. I always feel comfortable at WAND being very open and honest about issues I've experienced and ways to work through those issues. Everyone, including the CEO, are all very responsive to all ideas and suggestions. Obviously, not everything can be done right away, but you feel heard and that's a great first step. If you're a positive person who's driven and goal-oriented, you will be amongst friends here.

Cons

The hours can get long, but that's partially because I'm enjoying what I'm doing and want to keep working toward solving a problem.

Advice to Management

Keep going the direction you're going. I've heard that the company had struggled in the past and that's definitely NOT the company I see today. You're on the right track.

"My Favorite Place to Work by Far!"

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Awesome colleagues
    No politics or unnecessary drama
    Competitive salary
    Fantastic senior leadership (they walk the talk)
    Nothing but pure growth ahead

Cons

Medical is expensive because we're a small company

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing! Loving working here. Absolutely fantastic culture you've built.

"Help desk"

Current Employee - QSR Help Desk Technician in Shakopee, MN
    Current Employee - QSR Help Desk Technician in Shakopee, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Plenty of opportunities to advance in positions
    Work on proprietary systems
    Upcoming Tier change that opens multiple positions
    Full reimbursement for certification tests (if passed)

Cons

Low staffing for an expanding company
    No company sponsored training for certifications

Advice to Management

Hire more staff to fill needed positions and to cover expansion into menu board support
    Provide additional training on planned changes to support

"Great place to get experience"

Former Employee - TAC Technician in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - TAC Technician in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

You get a lot of opportunity to develop fast (in the TAC) you are kind of thrown to the wolves which is a good thing for I.T development and the TAC supervisor is a straight shooter and very fair in dealing with employees the Cons I have listed are not his fault. , past that I have nothing.

Cons

Staffing levels are a joke, they are 50% what they should be. Pay is horrible, especially for the work load. You can find a help desk job with a 30% higher start wage on half the work load in the Twin Cities pretty easily. Training is disorganized. The person who trains new hires also trains customers and is gone for half of your two week training period and employees are to busy to train, that is not the fault of the trainer, he does his best with the limited time he gets. Working overtime is expected, if you leave at the end of your shift it is looked down upon, you are expected to stay late. If the case count gets to high 4 hours of overtime is mandatory and you have to take it on your first day off not come in that night so part of your weekend is shot. You will always hear how they want to get things so good so you the techs in the TAC will have a low case load and can spend most of the day relaxing and putting out fires because they will hire enough people etc etc. I won't happen. If you have no experience and can handle high stress and dealing with phone calls from people with below average intelligence this job is a good place to start, the company is no place to have a career at.

Advice to Management

Hire more people in the TAC. Staffing levels make it impossible to make sure the cases don't fall out of SLA. The stress level and the low pay motivates the employees to find a new job and buy time until they do.

"Software Developer"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Eagan, MN

I have been working at WAND Corporation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They are very aggressive about getting clients which is good for keeping the company successful. Also not afraid to try new technology.

Cons

They do no allocate enough time for projects, the timelines they want are just not realistic which causes problems. They also tend to go through a lot of people.

Advice to Management

Train the people you hire, don't just expect them to know everything and then let them go when they don't. It lowers moral for everyone.

"Great culture of growth"

Pros

WAND functions according to four key core values that serve as an absolute guide in hiring, team development, and a culture of:
    Integrity — Build a foundation of trust through honesty and integrity.
    Commitment — To our customers, our teams, and our company.
    Drive — Push ourselves and our company to get better every day.
    Attitude — Positivity is infectious and shows who truly wants to be here.
    They also have a really great game room!

Cons

The parking lot is a bit too small to accommodate all of the new employees. Hardwood floors are a bit of a distraction in the office when people are on the phone.

8. "WAND has all the potential in the world; with the right leadership now in place, it's a great company to be a part of."

Former Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Sales in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

WAND's senior leadership truly cares for their employees. It's a 'work hard, play hard' mentality, which in my mind is definitely a "pro". The company vision is spot-on and the organization has the opportunity to grow exponentially these next 1-5 years.

Cons

Family owned organizations obviously bring different dynamics into play, however, the politics side of the equation has drastically changed (in a good way) in the past 12 months or so. The only two true thugs to mention here is the inability to execute on a consistent basis (which also is drastically improving by the day) and the lack of parking due to continuous growth.

Advice to Management

Having layers within the organization is extremely important - the advice would be to continue growing the middle level management while simultaneously bringing in appropriate talent for leadership.

9. "Drastically improved company with the potential to become a GREAT company."

Former Employee - Digital Designer
    Former Employee - Digital Designer

I worked at WAND Corporation (More than 5 years)

Pros

Dave taking over was the best thing to happen to Wand. Senior did a great job creating the company, but his personal investment in the company became detrimental. Improvements have been made and more improvements phase in regularly. When I started, I always felt like my job was in jeopardy. I haven't felt that feeling in years. There are some incredibly dedicated individuals working very hard to make the gears turn.

Cons

Not all employees are as dedicated. There are a few cancerous individuals that, be it because of work ethic or attitude, could be eliminated all together, not even replaced, and the company would benefit. There seems to be a great divide in the hours worked: either you leave earlier than you're supposed to, or you work several hours later than expected.

Advice to Management

I believe in what you've done and what you're doing. Wand is without question an entirely different--better--company to work for than it was seven years ago. I also believe that some of the improvements are overlooked by staff because of the workload or key employees that drag the team down. You MUST address the workload issues. Overtime cannot be the norm. Find a way to minimize the overtime and compensate when the workload increases. Take the design team: still the same number of designers as four years ago yet two or three times as many sites. Their overtime alone justifies having another body, so get two and ease the pain. Only then will they be able to begin being proactive and not just reactive. I agree with your drive to have employees "want to be here, not need to be here." Help them understand that you want them to be there, too. Do that and every Wand review will be 5-stars. This is all easy for me to say as a guy who has never run a business before, so take my constructive criticism for what you will.

"Come for starting work experience, leave for better pay"

Former Employee - Help Desk in Eden Prairie, MN
    Former Employee - Help Desk in Eden Prairie, MN

I worked at WAND Corporation full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Company does its best to try and accommodate you to find a schedule that works best for you.

Cons

Lack of promotions based on experience
    Low starting pay
    No training for new employees
    Mediocre benefits. Half the cost of the employee is covered, any dependents are paid 100% by employee. This means you and your spouse, health benefits would run you upwards of $500-600 a month. If you have a kid as well, you're looking closer to $900-1000. You're basically just working for benefits.
    Without an A+ and N+, do not expect to get promotions or get paid more while working at a company that is proprietary. In all honesty, the A+ and N+ are wasted here because you don't work on hardware and you don't do networking.
    Management is constantly changing the rules on how things should be done - this makes it very hard for the help desk team to do their job effectivly to assist the customers to the best of their abilities.
    Management is quick to punish/yell at employees instead of helping their employees do their job better.

Advice to Management

Promote experienced people. Show them you want them around because they can do the job.
    Increase pay for all levels on the help desk.