WANdisco Reviews

Updated Mar 10, 2021

3.8
WANdisco President & CEO David Richards  (no image)
David Richards
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

I worked at WANdisco for 3 years

Oct 1, 2019 - Engineer in San Ramon, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The leadership communicates effectively and transparently. The team is the best and brightest I've ever worked with. Interesting and challenging work.

Cons

One team works on different projects. Sometimes different teams hit a lack of coordination with each other.

2. 4.0
    Former Employee, more than 5 years

Great engineering team

Dec 18, 2020 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Direct team was amazing. Really talented and great people to work with.

Cons

Working with teammates from different timezones was a challenge.

3. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Not Much Direction

Jul 8, 2019 - Software Engineer(Internship) in San Ramon, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good wage Friendly engineers 2 weeks in hotel provided

Cons

There was not much direction provided in my 10 week internship with the Research department. My supervisors were busy with their own work

4. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

An Absolute Career Highlight!

Jun 25, 2018 - Customer Success in San Ramon, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The WANdisco leadership team impressed me from the very beginning and I’ve continued to appreciate the leadership’s commitment to their employees, their customers, and to the technology. Even though the company has many years of experience, the company feels like an entrepreneurial startup with every employee having an opportunity to identify and take ownership of identified challenges and then receive the associated recognition. My experience with our broadly distributed team has been all positive, everyone seems passionate about the products and the company’s success. All of the teams share an objective to make our customers successful and the unity around the customer makes every day feel like I’m contributing to something bigger than just my personal work product. I have had many great corporate experiences, and so far, WANdisco is becoming a career highlight.

Cons

Based on my frame of reference, I struggle to personally identify any “cons”, so you will have to review other posts. I’ve worked with the overly processed >100K employee companies where the opportunity for independent thought is limited to senior leaders, this is not one of those companies. WANdisco is still a company with numerous opportunities to drive improvements and everyone seemingly has a voice. Our CEO is very involved and continuously seeks opportunities to help, he’s frequently visiting the different offices and meeting with people at all levels in the company. Alternatively, you’ll also find him participating in Slack channels providing necessary guidance to working teams. I’m thoroughly enjoying my time here at the Disco!

1 person found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Outstanding Sales Opp, if you are hungry, talented and motivated, otherwise look to a tier 2 company that doesn't care.

Jun 19, 2014 - Regional Sales Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Executive sponsorship throughout the organization, access to a plethora of resources in order to execute well, highly skilled and talented engineering group that are the most intelligent and humble group of people I have ever worked with. Outstanding Sales and Business leadership that is accessible, motivated, passionate, and enables personal and professional growth while offering an opportunity to make a difference in the future of the company. Big targets with Big payoffs, you won't be the smartest person in the room, ever...nor will you be bored or un-inspired.

Cons

I have yet to find a con to working here, it's by far the most ambitious company with the best people in any organization I have been involved in so far in my Career. WANdisco is a nimble, responsive, team environment and a company that I believe will be around 10 years from now, and will be one of those amazing tech stories that people will still be talking about, it is a team that I am very proud to be a part of.

6 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Current leadership will have difficulty developing a solid team and subsequently new products or a strong company.

Aug 15, 2012 - Sales in San Ramon, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They will pay you money to work at WANdisco. they pay reall US Dollars if you work in the USA and Pounds if you work in the UK. They also pay for the utilities you use whist working at WANdisco. They have internet and phone service that can help you at WANdisco.

Cons

Leaderships lacks experience. Very light product selections to offer the public. On the surface this group of people seem to be a legitimate company but when you do your research you will find the CEO David Richards and you will find a past that can only be characterized as that of a huckster. This unethical approach permeates the leadership of this minuscule company so they tend to be trying to remember which lie they told you which leads to an over all lack of confidence in the very young people in senior management positions. There are no original ideas coming from the leadership. Instead they are obsessed in copying their competition and gleaning management protocols form sycophantic older employees whom are too afraid for leaving WANdisco due to finding a new employer at their advanced age.

11 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

It's been emotional…………..

Oct 22, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

I recently left the company having worked in Sales for almost 2 years, having read the reviews on here I felt compelled to write my own. I leapt at the opportunity to join WANdisco having previously worked for another Big Data startup, I knew how disruptive the space was becoming I joined initially in Inside Sales with a view to advance into field sales. Sales of our Big Data products were slow for the first 12 months, we were very early to market and most companies were playing with Hadoop in a sandbox or still trying to figure out what Hadoop was. Fortunately WANdisco’s ALM business has seen significant growth year or year and so I was able to meet quota and make money selling those products to the Silicon Valley Top 100 whilst developing a pipeline of Big Data opportunities. Nobody can deny WANdisco has pretty cool technology; they solve a problem that computer scientists still say is impossible. The company has real patents around the way in which you manage failures of entire datacenters, applied to Hadoop their driving enterprise adoption as all of the fortune 1,000 augment or replace their legacy 3 tier client server architecture to data rich architectures like Hadoop.

Cons

As with the other reviews you read on here I saw a lot of sales people come and go during my tenure with the company. Whilst I enjoyed beers with many of them they simply didn’t have the pace required of a startup and were averse to change – hardly ingredients for a high growth tech start up, never mind one that was public. All in all my experience has been a good one, there have been highs and lows – it’s been emotional as they say. I enjoyed the opportunity to travel and sell overseas, helping to open our APAC office and train the sales team. I’ve learned a lot and look forward to applying this in my next role. The company seems ready to pivot as enterprises across all industries plan their production deployments of Hadoop

12 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Great culture at the forefront of next big thing

Jun 19, 2014 - Solutions Architect in Philadelphia, PA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The greatest thing about working here is the ability to learn and grow. There is so much great work to be done that you can dig right in and define your vision. There are no walls between groups and it feels like everyone is rowing in the same direction.

Cons

The benefits are a little light, such as no company match on the 401K and the fund choices are expensive, unless you choose the index funds.

6 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great opportunity for A players

Jun 30, 2014 - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

They have real technology, something that no one else is doing with some insanely intelligent people working there. Still small enough for individuals to make a real impact. The CEO still walks around and interacts with everyone in the office. The big data space that these guys are working in is extremely exciting and the amount of potential here is incredible.

Cons

It can be quite cut throat when it comes to performance and commitment. People who are just looking to slip under the radar and fill a chair 9-5 should look else where. These types are quickly weeded out and seem surprised when that happens.

7 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great products, great people

Apr 30, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

The people here are fantastic. We have some of the brightest engineers, most personable sales staff, and the absolute best support staff around. It's a great place to be.

Cons

As with any small company, things change rapidly. This is a problem for those who don't like change. For others it keeps things fresh and interesting.

7 people found this review helpful