WANdisco Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
David Richards

"Enjoyed every second, sad to go"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in San Ramon, CA

Pros

I really like the people and product in this company. This is the best company I have ever worked for. I really respect the management of the company. People like Rob who run engineering is very nice and respectful of people feelings.

Cons

The company change direction from open source hadoop to a much better architecture that require no changes to file system. This means a number of jobs like mine was defunct. Sales of new product are going through roof so this means that company must focus on this products.

"Execs in search of relevance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Jose, CA

I worked at WANdisco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's actually tough to list any. The management team hasn't a clue on how to really run a company... good people are pushed aside while they huddle together and then exhibit their hubris. You know, like a man who's longest job was spending too much time in a volunteer army, but he's now a 'respected' valley exec.

Cons

I really liked some of the people I worked with, but slowly it was painfully obvious that the execs knew there was too much hype in their own story. The product was not ready for production and neither were the target customers. As was said before, the culture is toxic. Think bad yogurt. High turnover rate in all areas. Execs are always blaming everyone else for their own lack of success and relevance. And like the execs, the product is something that searches for relevance in a fast moving technological world.

Advice to Management

From the CEO down, take a hard look at yourself. It's called hubris and admit you don't have the skills you think you do. Sell the IP and settle into your east bay lives...

"Software Engineering Intern"

Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineering Intern in San Ramon, CA

I worked at WANdisco (Less than a year)

Pros

good company culture
    engineering team is really nice

Cons

not as organized as needed

"Lift Off!!!!!"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at WANdisco (More than a year)

Pros

We launched our new product Fusion and the feedback in Q3 was over the top good. Feedback like "I have never seen a POC go this well. We always break products but not this one" and also (even better) "We had a project on hold for 2 years with a multii-million $ budget and that has gone from a 2 year to 30 day production time line". We are working really hard but the company knows it and paid for the core dev team to go to Tahoe for a long weekend. This really is the best company I have ever worked for.

Cons

I wish I could name some. I do get frustrated that we have a number of dysfunctional former employees (mainly sales) who have nothing better to do than pretend to be engineers on here - peace Shalom - move on guys.

Advice to Management

Yes the share price has taken a tumble but we all know (we really do) that the company is worth a lot lot more than this. We're all behind you keep going, stay positive. Mazel tov!!

"Poor Sales Management"

Current Employee - Sales in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Sales in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at WANdisco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great technology but the Big Data market is still in its infancy and the real customer need hasn't surfaced yet. Great acquisition target.

Cons

The problem is with Sales Management and as a result there is an abnormally high turnover rate of sales people due to panic selling and intense pressure to make quarterly numbers due to company financial distress.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees with more respect and appreciation and do not pressure customers to sign a deal before conveying business value.

"On the up - sad to leave"

Former Employee - Sales in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Sales in San Ramon, CA

I worked at WANdisco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

o Great vision & product platforms - there is no competition
    o Super friendly HR, exec & management
    o Responsive engineering & support
    o Good compensation
    o Super marquee customers

Cons

o Early in the Hadoop market cycle so there is risk
    o Marketing is poor
    o ROW revenue supports APAC

Advice to Management

More of the pros and fix the last two cons

"It's been emotional………….."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I worked at WANdisco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I recently left the company having worked in Sales for almost 2 years, having read the reviews on here I felt compelled to write my own.

I leapt at the opportunity to join WANdisco having previously worked for another Big Data startup, I knew how disruptive the space was becoming

I joined initially in Inside Sales with a view to advance into field sales. Sales of our Big Data products were slow for the first 12 months, we were very early to market and most companies were playing with Hadoop in a sandbox or still trying to figure out what Hadoop was. Fortunately WANdisco’s ALM business has seen significant growth year or year and so I was able to meet quota and make money selling those products to the Silicon Valley Top 100 whilst developing a pipeline of Big Data opportunities.

Nobody can deny WANdisco has pretty cool technology; they solve a problem that computer scientists still say is impossible. The company has real patents around the way in which you manage failures of entire datacenters, applied to Hadoop their driving enterprise adoption as all of the fortune 1,000 augment or replace their legacy 3 tier client server architecture to data rich architectures like Hadoop.

Cons

As with the other reviews you read on here I saw a lot of sales people come and go during my tenure with the company. Whilst I enjoyed beers with many of them they simply didn’t have the pace required of a startup and were averse to change – hardly ingredients for a high growth tech start up, never mind one that was public.

All in all my experience has been a good one, there have been highs and lows – it’s been emotional as they say. I enjoyed the opportunity to travel and sell overseas, helping to open our APAC office and train the sales team. I’ve learned a lot and look forward to applying this in my next role. The company seems ready to pivot as enterprises across all industries plan their production deployments of Hadoop

Advice to Management

My only advice to sales management would be hire wisely and continue to improve on recruitment practices and attract the sales talent you have hired in recent months. Keep developing your Inside Sales Team, they should be the lifeline of the business and will continue to help you scale. Finally, don’t be distracted by the noise on here, you have a business to run.

"Fine place if you're not in Sales"

Current Employee - Sales Organization in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Organization in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at WANdisco full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are some really bright people in engineering that are doing cutting-edge work. The company has nice group functions and they provide nice equipment, such as laptops, to their employees. A friendly group of people, with an entrepreneurial spirit; everyone seems willing to help others.

The company does have patented technology that can bring tremendous value to their customers.

Cons

The biggest problem this company has is sales leadership. "Immature" best describes the sales leadership. They are constantly changing direction; moral is very low, but on the surface everyone puts on a smile. As you get under the veneer, you find unhappy players, unless they are in the right clique.
    Don't be fooled, the negative reviews are not from ex-sales people who were weeded out. In fact, at least two salespeople had closed significant opportunities and believed they were getting a "congratulations" call when it was in fact a "you're no longer needed call." I know first hand of one, and have heard of another sales person engaged in legal action with the company in an effort to collect commission on legitimately closed business.
    The sales organization routinely falls well short of sales goals, and the company is sustained on investor money. Take a look at their financial reports and decide for yourself.

Another big concern is that Hadoop is starting to add the capabilities that WANdisco provides into native Hadoop. If you talk with Couldera or Hortonworks most of their field reps believe Hadoop can now natively do what WANdisco does. That's partially true, but WANdisco does bring a better high availability, replication functionality. However, WANdisco is quickly being necessary only at companies that have highly critical applications. Will native Hadoop eventually cover this use case as well? I don't know. WD has patent protections for their implementation, but there's always more than one way to skin a cat (and achieve high avability)

Advice to Management

How long are you willing to accept substandard sales performance before putting a leader in charge.

"Great opportunity for A players"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Ramon, CA

I have been working at WANdisco full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

They have real technology, something that no one else is doing with some insanely intelligent people working there. Still small enough for individuals to make a real impact. The CEO still walks around and interacts with everyone in the office.

The big data space that these guys are working in is extremely exciting and the amount of potential here is incredible.

Cons

It can be quite cut throat when it comes to performance and commitment. People who are just looking to slip under the radar and fill a chair 9-5 should look else where. These types are quickly weeded out and seem surprised when that happens.

Advice to Management

Move close to a BART station.

"Outstanding Sales Opp, if you are hungry, talented and motivated, otherwise look to a tier 2 company that doesn't care."

Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Regional Sales Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at WANdisco full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Executive sponsorship throughout the organization, access to a plethora of resources in order to execute well, highly skilled and talented engineering group that are the most intelligent and humble group of people I have ever worked with. Outstanding Sales and Business leadership that is accessible, motivated, passionate, and enables personal and professional growth while offering an opportunity to make a difference in the future of the company. Big targets with Big payoffs, you won't be the smartest person in the room, ever...nor will you be bored or un-inspired.

Cons

I have yet to find a con to working here, it's by far the most ambitious company with the best people in any organization I have been involved in so far in my Career. WANdisco is a nimble, responsive, team environment and a company that I believe will be around 10 years from now, and will be one of those amazing tech stories that people will still be talking about, it is a team that I am very proud to be a part of.

Advice to Management

Keep pressing on the peddle to solve our customers most pressing issues with innovative products and the people to back them up, keep the new people knowing they are important and as always continue to deliver results to our customers quickly as we are doing today. Keep up the Great work!!!