Cover image for WD-40 Company

3.7
WD-40 Company President, CEO and Chair of the Board Garry O. Ridge
Garry O. Ridge

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Some great people and the brand is outstanding.(in 8 reviews)
  • "Some said in their comments that it’s a great culture, but not “improving”.(in 7 reviews)
  • "Great benefits!(in 5 reviews)
  • "Great place to work, good culture, good work life balance, good salaries, not many benefits but the ones available are great.(in 3 reviews)
  • "The employees are friendly.(in 3 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Enjoy Your Contributions

Nov 21, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

WD-40 Company has done a great job at bringing the right mix of people together.

Cons

As a lean organization, there is limited opportunity for growth.

2. 5.0
    Former Employee, more than 8 years

The great culture at WD-40 Company isn't for everybody

May 4, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

WD-40 Company is an egalitarian meritocracy, meaning that all are welcome who wish to be measured on their contributions, competencies and results, achieved through living the values every day. It's not an easy place to work, but it's a meaningful and rewarding place to work for people who sign up for personal accountability, going out of their way to help fellow employees and keeping a long-term perspective of both the company and their own future within it.

Cons

The lean structure of the company allows for resilience in hard times and top-of-market compensation in good times. To date, the company has not had to do layoffs to address market downturns, including the Great Recession and the recent COVID pandemic disruption. This is because the compensation system is designed for being able to retain people even in such difficult times, so that they can think long-term and feel a higher degree of personal safety. Some people want to be paid at the top of the market in good times, and aren't concerned about the safety of the entire employee population in hard times, even though they themselves might be at risk. WD-40 Company is not a place for people who can't appreciate the strategic advantages for both people and the company that is provided by the lean, conservative fixed cost approach to operating the business.

3 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the WD-40 Company team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0

Avoid

Apr 11, 2022 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Corporate is in San Diego

Cons

Corporate is in San Diego, and they don't know what it costs to live in the real world. The Owner pushes his Ayn Rand liberatarian views as daily inspirationals They call themselves a tribe, refer to the HQ as a TeePee yet there is not a single Indigenous person there. They expect you to accept pay that is less than the cost of living They make a bunch of promises and fall short They have no 2030 plans accept for becoming billionaires (as discussed during the investor call) They are petrolium based

3 people found this review helpful

Director, Investor Relations & Corporate Communications

Yes, living in one of the most desirable cities in the U.S. certainly has its pros and cons. Our tribe is a community of people with a shared purpose that help feed and defend each other. We began identifying ourselves a tribe many years ago because we deeply respect and aspire to live up to the wonderful principles of tribalism. Tribalism also helps foster a sense of belonging to a group of people who strive for the greater good, share values, enjoy celebrating together, and applaud the specialized skills that each individual contributes to benefit the greater good of the tribe. We are saddened to learn you didn’t experience a sense of belonging during your time with us. As a publicly traded company, our CEO has a responsibility to all our stakeholders to create economic value. We create economic value for our tribe members through our above-industry standard profit sharing and bonus programs. We create economic value for our stockholders by generating industry-leading returns on invested capital. This value creation would not be possible without our tribe whom 92% report they experience a sense of belonging and engagement here. We wish you success and prosperity in your future endeavors.

5. 4.0

Good company.

Mar 10, 2022 - Regional Sales Manager
    Business Outlook

Pros

Supportive group of professional salespeople.

Cons

Lack of opportunities for promotion.

6. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Exceptional on boarding and kindness and dedication shines through!

Nov 11, 2021 - Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

On boarding experience was fantastic. My coach and fellow colleagues have gone out of their way to make me feel welcome. Clearly very dedicated teams, emphasis on strong culture and community has been apparent from day 1!

Cons

Covid makes connecting with team challenging… but looks as though wd40 is finding ways around it!

7. 3.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Decent position

Jul 27, 2021 - Unknown, Oriented to Door-to-door Sales, Pay By Commission in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The position offered me decent pay with flexible hours where I could grow and expand my knowledge.

Cons

There is not that I can really complain about except that during Covid, the managers started letting go some good employees.

8. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Still great!

Feb 1, 2021 - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great culture, wonderful office when it can be opened again.

Cons

The company is a nice place to work.

9. 1.0

Ok Enough Place to Work

Mar 12, 2021 - Various Positions in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Retirement plan is better than what most other companies offer.

Cons

Minimal resources/people majorly slowed down what could be accomplished. Due to minimal resources/people, those individuals in supervisory or managerial positions that had individuals report to them didn’t have the experience or bandwidth to provide useful guidance or mentoring. Very little guidance or direction was given and expectations were often not communicated.

Global Talent Director

Thank you for sharing feedback about your time with our tribe. We seek every day to balance passionate ideas and desire to support the brands with our 'never-enough' resources. We will continue to explore ways to continually improve in this area while providing the support and resources to support our tribe's learning and well being. Thank you again.

10. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

A place that feels like home!

Sep 25, 2019 - Director in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Small company will a big brand that everyone knows. Tribe members are able to make an impact here. Long tenure of most employees means you form friendships with you colleagues. It also means people are good at their jobs which helps the company succeed. High employee engagement means that most the people you interact with on a daily basis truly care about the company and and its success. They also care about each other. San Diego facility is amazing. Every Friday the offices closes early so that people can start their weekend. There is a holiday closure around Christmas for an extended period of time which is lovely.

Cons

Small company environment is not for everyone. There is lots of opportunity here but we move pretty slowly because we have limited resources. You don't work at WD-40 Company to get rich. Compensation is fair but you can make more money in 'faster' industries. However, the job stability and workplace atmosphere make up for any shortfalls in compensation. It's healthy a risk/reward balance. And the health benefits, time off benefits, and retirement plans are very good, particularly for a company of our size.

Global Talent Director

Thank you for sharing some of the ways our culture and total rewards have contributed to your engagement and support you and your family.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee

No Squeaks at WD-40 Company

Feb 23, 2009 -  in San Diego, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Generally, all employees at all levels are committed towards the Company's success. Most are accountable and hold others to accountability, creating a working environment that fosters more effort and teamwork than many other organizations. Corporate values are clearly articulated and flow down through the Company as its lifeblood, supported fully throughout. A "get-it-done" attitude permeates most business functional areas, adding to the unique atmosphere. There is freedom to communicate with respect for fresh ideas and review. Because of the fairly low staff count (+/- 300 employees globally), traditional hierarchical boundaries are minimized, facilitating action. That the flagship brand has created its own sub-culture among customers, instantly bringing recognition, is an added bonus.

Cons

In some areas, traditional beliefs seem to overpower modern facts, subverting attempts to create efficiencies where they could be beneficial. Frustration results from a team of incredibly smart and focused people who are unable to accomplish the tasks and projects they see as making real difference.

2 people found this review helpful
Viewing 1 - 10 of 62 Reviews
</>Embed

WD-40 Company Reviews FAQs

WD-40 Company has an overall rating of 3.7 out of 5, based on over 77 reviews left anonymously by employees. 88% of employees would recommend working at WD-40 Company to a friend and 79% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has improved by 2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, WD-40 Company employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.6 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at WD-40 Company. This rating has improved by 1% over the last 12 months.

88% of WD-40 Company employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated WD-40 Company 4.0 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.2 for culture and values and 3.3 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at WD-40 Company to be benefits, culture, coworkers and the cons to be senior leadership, management, career development.

Popular Careers with WD-40 Company Job Seekers