WDC Reviews | Glassdoor

WDC Reviews

3.9
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Marléna Sessions

1. "Great environment to work in"

Former Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Principal Engineer in San Jose, CA

I worked at WDC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Challenging (in a good way) environment

Cons

"perks" = none, no sinks in the coffee station

2. "A cutting edge and impactful non-profit-meaningful work, great benefits""

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at WDC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Nationally recognized, work that makes a difference and gives members of our community jobs and meets industry needs. Work/life balance and workplace flexibility are part of the culture as is quality standards and fun and challenging work.

Cons

Needing to get funded ongoing has been challenging due to fderal cuts, sequestration etc.

Advice to Management

Keep up the energy and effort, It is noticed and appreciated!

"Don't get trapped in this dead end organization"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

Pros

Pay is decent compared to other non-profits. This is the only aspect of the job keeping most of the employees from leaving.

Cons

The management at the WDC creates an unnecessarily hostile workplace for its own employees which is ironic since the WDC is a company in charge of workforce training funds (to get unemployed people back to work). New employees are frequently fired on the last day of their probation period (before they would be protected by union membership) for no cause. This is usually due to the managers' blaming the employee for their own slip-ups or failures. The one word to describe upper management at this company is quite simply "inept". When managers are caught out in their own screw-ups they usually are quick to blame subordinates and take retaliatory action against them. Needless to say, this environment has resulted in uniformly low morale among employees.

Career progression at the WDC is slow to nonexistent and job titles are not reflective of actual job duties but rather the pay rate at which managers prefer to pay the employee. The benefits are good and the opportunities for time off for vacation, medical leave or other personal reasons appear to be good as well at first glance but often come with many last minute restrictions placed at the whim of managers.

Overall, the WDC of King County is an organization that is the epitome of bureaucracy with multiple long ineffective meetings mandated by out of touch management. This is truly a Dilbert company to avoid.

Advice to Management

Get some professional managerial training - when your employees work more efficiently in your own absence that says something. Managing people like it's still the 1940's isn't being tough or shrewd - it's just abusive.

5. "Solid company with strong growth and future"

I have been working at WDC full-time

Pros

Strong executive management team, compelling roadmap and technologies and a great place to have on your resume. You will be challenged and grow.

Cons

Work-life balance can be tough to manage...

6. "Rewarding career!"

Pros

I have the pleasure of working at the Workforce Development Council (WDC) of Seattle-King County and find the experience to be extremely worthwhile. The agency leads workforce development efforts to assist people who are looking for work and businesses who need to find employees. I can’t think of more rewarding work that combines assisting individuals, helping families and building strong communities!

The WDC offers an exceptional work environment. Although chosen based on easy access and a reasonable lease option, the office is beautiful – situated at the north end of Pike Place Market – we enjoy gorgeous views amidst an energetic part of our city. Even more importantly, management has ensured comfortable work stations with state-of-the-art equipment to make sure we have the tools we need to be successful.

In addition to highly competitive wages, employees at the WDC are also fortunate to have outstanding benefits. From flexible work hours to a generous 401K match program to substantial leave allowances to excellent medical coverage, management provides outstanding employment benefits! I also appreciate management’s concern about our safety. One of the most considerate policies at the WDC is closing the office when the Seattle School District shuts down for bad weather. Not only is there concern about our transportation but also for us being available to our children.

Cons

Funding resources can create unknowns and some stress.

Advice to Management

Thank you for making the WDC a fantastic place to be employed – important work in a wonderful environment with excellent benefits. I can’t ask for more!

7. "The Workforce Development Council is an awesome employer."

Pros

This organization supports the foundation of a positive, attractive work environment characterized by teamwork, innovation, and personal accountability. Employees are valued as results-oriented individuals through our culture, attitudes and motivation - we receive such communication from the management team on a regular basis.

Cons

None. A great place to work, would recommend this organization to anyone!

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work and support you provide to all employees.

8. "Mine fantastic experience with IBM with the payroll of WDC to do the Bharti Airtell project"

Current Contractor - Java Developer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)
    Current Contractor - Java Developer in Gurgaon, Haryana (India)

I have been working at WDC as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

WDC provides chances to do the most challenging projects.

Cons

Everyday you will get Challenges with the good environment.

Advice to Management

not necessary .

9. "not bad ,friendly, stable,"

Pros

stable enviroment, people are kind,

Cons

no free lunch, not too much exciting

"wdc"

Pros

Any way, it is a job. you have to take it if you do npt have others. that is all.

Cons

people are strssful there so that some people (not most people) are mean to new comers. He refuse to train new employee but pretend to do the training before the manager.

Advice to Management

The management skill for some people could be better if they can be more open to communication, They need to listen.