WE Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

WE Communications President and CEO Melissa Waggener Zorkin
Melissa Waggener Zorkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "People can work long hours so work life balance can suffer" (in 43 reviews)

• "Long hours/high billing expectation" (in 16 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Account Manager"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time

Pros

Great people, quality work, great benefits

Cons

Outside of Seattle (in Bellevue)

Sep 24, 2018 – Chief Talent Officer

Thanks for sharing your experience, please contact me if you have other ideas or questions. I always appreciate hearing from employees.

Have a great week.

2. "analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good paid, friendly working environment, 20 days paid off

Cons

not good enough for some aggressive people

Sep 7, 2018 – Chief Talent Officer

Hello, we’re glad you enjoyed your time at WE. An inspiring work environment where employees feel a sense of belonging is a cornerstone of what we want to offer employees. Collaboration and respect... More

"Executive Assistant"

Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Executive Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Amazing benefit program, work life balance is real, strong leadership and thought leaders, organic culture, independently owned female founded agency.

Cons

Lack of synergy between global offices.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Sep 4, 2018 – Director

Thanks for sharing your experience and feedback. We’re pleased to hear that your positive experience mirrors our aspiration. Have a great day!

"Agency that produces strong work, but doesn't value employees"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The agency does great work for its clients. The brands that are part of the client portfolio provides great opportunities to work on accounts that are household names.

Cons

Extremely inconsistent promotion tracks. Incredibly poor managers. Extremely long hours with pressure to meet high billable hour goals. Bonus program is used extremely sparingly and oftentimes was used to keep employees who were clearly unhappy. Tremendous loss of middle level (AE/SAE) staff due to those levels carrying huge burdens of the workload while higher levels took credit. Benefits are mediocre. The agency touts cool programs like Global Exchange, but those programs are extremely limited in nature. Salaries are not nearly high enough to compete.

Advice to Management

Find a way to let your employees shine for the work they do. Get rid of the superficial attempts to keep your employees and take a much closer/careful look of how you honor your mid-level employees. Get in-touch with your employees. The company is not big enough for key senior leaders to not know what is happening in the day-to-day account roles.

Sep 4, 2018 – Director

Thank you for sharing feedback about your experience at WE, we’re disappointed to read that you didn’t experience how much our agency values employees. As a professional services company, employees... More

"Limited opportunities for non-core PR employees"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Get with the right manager and things are great

Cons

Get with the wrong manager and beware
    I'm in IT and we are not understood or valued because we aren't core PR staff
    You have to fill out a time sheet every week like you work at Burger King or something - this makes sense for "billable" PR staff but doesn't make any sense for a role like mine

Sep 4, 2018 – Director

Thanks for your feedback. We are committed to supporting every employee, regardless of team and career path. Please contact Human Resources to further assist you.

"Great people, but still an agency"

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I felt loved and supported at WE. Their internship/training/mentorship culture is well established and encourages growth. Standards are high, which means when you leave you'll take with you a sharp set of skills that translate well inside and outside the industry. Most teams value collaboration and creativity and new ideas are welcome. The leadership is actively trying to adjust to a changing culture of work by experimenting with remote work, open seating in some offices, office events, and participating in the community. And the HR team is incredibly trustworthy and supportive. For the most part, you can count on your team really being behind your success and wellbeing.

Cons

This is still an agency. The work is never-ending, client-requests are paramount at the end of the day, and you can expect minimal work/life "balance." When client budgets shrink, the agency hasn't done a good enough job making sure the number of deliverables shrink with it. The results are overworked, anxious, and exhausted JR staff. Finally, the promotion system is in need of an overhaul: there are marked discrepancies depending on team or manager, so peers can have substantially different trajectories regarding promotion timeline, salary, expectations, etc. In the end, the key to growth at WE is how well you market yourself to leadership.

Advice to Management

Make sure JR staff are getting credit for all those hours worked and take a close look at the promotion system

Sep 7, 2018 – Chief Talent Officer

We appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback.

WE is a proud and successful independent agency. We operate in a hardworking, professional services industry and our commitment to... More

"Gain valuable experience representing top companies worldwide"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Clients represented are some of the most well-known companies and brands in the world. At WE, we are responsible for full-scale communications, getting to work on incredible projects and work on behalf of these companies.

-For those looking to gain PR experience to either go to another agency, in house, or even advance up the ranks at WE, this agency has one of the best reputations in the business. They're doing great things across the company and worldwide, and offer incredible learning and work opportunities for people building their careers. One year of working on a Microsoft account at WE is like the equivalent to 2-3 years anywhere else.

-Socially conscious company looking to do good in the world and for its employees.

-Fun office atmosphere with a lot of young people.

-CEO is very involved in people's happiness and makes herself visible to senior and junior staff alike

-Awesome work-life balance

Cons

-Team dynamics and opportunity for advancement varies (sometimes drastically) across the agency so that even if you are operating at a high level, if your team (or manager) is slow to promote, you could get "stuck" at a more junior level.

-Salary is not competitive with the marketplace, but experienced gained oftentimes outweighs that.

-Lack of diversity within the agency, although we support those efforts for our clients.

Advice to Management

-Create a standardized process across the agency for considering promotions, and if a title promotion isn't available, bring options to the table (such as merit bonus, vacation days, etc.) That goes a long way in creating company loyalty and encouraging people to stay at the agency, when competitors are paying much more.

"Analyst - Insights & Analytics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time

Pros

I&A team is great and very supportive of each other. Management within the I&A team is good. Great benefits and flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Poor communication between I&A and Account Team. Very poor executive management of I&A. Constant change and people quit very often. Almost no diversity whatsoever which is extremely disappointing.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the work life balance and flexibility. WE also offers a very competitive benefit package. I love the fact that WE focuses on giving back and allowing their employees to volunteer (16 hours of paid volunteer time). The global exchange program is also amazing. All employees have the opportunity to apply to travel and work from a WE office in another country.

Cons

There are none so far!

"Challenging, rewarding and fun"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time

Pros

Amazing teammates; the people are what make the agency what it is
    Great new clients - finally expanding more outside of Tech
    General Managers are making a positive difference

Cons

Not nearly enough clients for Portland; it'd be nice if we continued to grow and bring on more business for the PDX area
    The agency is doing what it can to hold people accountable for their behavior, but could always be an improvement so that leaders can continue to respect those around them and not act in a hierarchy

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with your employees; highlight the good; PR ourselves more!