WE Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

WE Communications President and CEO Melissa Waggener Zorkin
Melissa Waggener Zorkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I've heard of people complain of work life balance (in 38 reviews)

• Long hours/high billing expectation (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Account Executive"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time

Pros

Great work environment - from the people, to the office, to the accounts. Range of activity benefits such as volunteer opportunities and working abroad.

Cons

Pay could be a little more competitive.

Jun 5, 2017 – SVP

I’m thrilled that you are having a good experience at WE. Volunteer opportunities and working abroad are a couple of my favorite benefits of working here too.

As you might have heard, we even... More

"Increasingly toxic environment, company on the decline"

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Some good people still there, sabbatical program is a differentiator (until they take it away), good opportunity to learn how very large accounts and big budgets work.

Cons

The environment really changed over the years I was there. Was always a little competitive (most agencies are) but agency leadership seems to be leaning into it and the comments around the "mean girls" type vibe aren't much of an exaggeration. Other things to be aware of:
    *Opportunities to work on some of the splashier sounding accounts or any of the non-profit/CSR orgs are few and far between.
    *Work on the Microsoft account is pretty dreary and the client dynamic is tough. Account teams and their clients frequently compete against each other for opportunities. It's pretty awkward.
    *Teams are very inconsistent about advancement so make sure you go in with a clear plan and document, document, document.
    *Benefits have dwindled over the years.

Advice to Management

Wake up and take a hard look at your leadership team. You've been moving the same core group of people around for years, giving them fancier and fancier titles -- but have they really delivered? Are they working together as a team? Nope. So do what needs to be done and start rewarding those that bring in real results.

Jun 5, 2017 – SVP

Thank you for your feedback about your experience at WE, and I’m disappointed that your experience was less than ideal. We sincerely value your feedback and I want you to know that we’ll be... More

"Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only hire women in Finance so these male Senior Management Team can abuse them.

Cons

One of the worst management team I have experienced.

"Spin city, terrible managers, really bad experience."

I worked at WE Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Offices are nice, some good people.

Cons

Bad management, "mean girls" culture, promotion of people into non-PR specialist senior roles who have no relevant experience, just because they're good at PR. So much time spinning each other, nobody knows what's real.

Advice to Management

Hire for expertise. Don't let people get ahead through their ability to BS the leadership team.

"Impressively dysfunctional"

I worked at WE Communications full-time

Pros

They had a great coffee machine.

I've talked with ex-coworkers, and they basically either suffer there till they've built up enough experience to jump into a higher position elsewhere, or they truly get absorbed/fit into the culture and fake it till they make it.

Cons

Drink the kool-aid to survive. It was utterly bizarre working with communication professionals, yet most people there are incapable of communicating honestly or directly with each other, which made it almost impossible to work. Understanding this "WE culture" is crucial to getting by there. An incredibly poisonous internal culture that is aggressively cultivated.

"Great atmosphere and company culture"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time

Pros

A great place to start out if you're just breaking in to the PR world. Lots of exposure and networking opportunities.

Cons

It takes awhile to work through some of the passive aggressive behaviors that some employees exude.

"Toxic managers, toxic environment"

Former Employee - Content Strategy Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Content Strategy Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications (More than a year)

Pros

Generous vacation grant and nice offices. You have an actual desk in an open environment.

Cons

Low salaries. It's clear from day 1 that they don't expect anyone to stay and retire here.
    Bizarre benefit range. A company created by women and packed with younger women offers two weeks parental leave.

Terrible management that encourages people to turn on each other in the name of competition. No promotion track outside of management, so people who don't want to be/aren't qualified to be managers are given direct reports without proper training.

Constant layoffs means everyone lives in fear of losing their job. Being a PR agency, everyone works hard at spinning bad situations rather than trying to improve them.

Advice to Management

- Accept there are issues and work to address them rather than cover them up.
    - Treat your employees like human beings rather than numbers. TRAIN YOUR MANAGERS.
    - Create a promotion track for employees who don't long to be directors. (Someone has to do the actual work.)

Jun 5, 2017 – SVP

Thank you for your feedback about your experience at WE. I want you to know that we care about your experience here and we’ll be discussing your feedback and consider any improvements.

For an... More

"Bureaucracy labeled as anything else..."

Former Employee - Service Desk I in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Service Desk I in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, good benefits, posh office after the redesign

Cons

Utter inability to see potential, upper personnel keep moving up while lower personnel stay at the same place for eternity.

Advice to Management

You can write all the training material you like about how to peel a banana, but at the end of the day, if you force feed your people bananas all day every day, no one will care.

"past its prime"

Former Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and there some genuinely nice, hard-working incredibly smart people who work there. When I first started to work there over a decade ago it was the most inspiring, supportive place to be. I gained amazing communications skills from even more amazing people and grew so much professionally and personally. Those people have all left.

Cons

The agency has become a dead end. They are not considered innovative in the market and have not secured a new, major client since landing Microsoft in the 80s. I have learned so much more about the changing field of communications since leaving.

If you don't fit the mold, you may lose your soul trying. I've seen the term "mean girl" used to describe the work environment, and I would have to agree. Senior management is made up of what they call "lifers." Those who have been there 15+ years and who have completely lost touch. The mold to get to senior management is the sorority, alpha female type who bullies and undermines the confidence of those around them to give the appearance of "managing." Senior leadership postures and positions well, but in the end accomplishes fairly worn-out, mediocre work. This seems to be rewarded for some reason. You really don't realize how much confidence you have lost and how much of yourself you have given up trying to move up until you leave, and then you feel as though you escaped an abusive relationship. I know this could be said of many work environments, but I wouldn't chose this again.

Advice to Management

After working here for more than a decade, I honestly don't know what to say to management that would be heard. All the advice I see here on Glassdoor is solid, but it's been given over and over for many years now. No one is listening. I would simply work elsewhere.

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment with focused work

Cons

Not very energetic on some teams

Advice to Management

n/a