WE Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
WE Communications President and CEO Melissa Waggener Zorkin
Melissa Waggener Zorkin

Pros
Cons
  • I've heard of people complain of work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Long hours/high billing expectation (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Account Executive"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time

Pros

Great work environment - from the people, to the office, to the accounts. Range of activity benefits such as volunteer opportunities and working abroad.

Cons

Pay could be a little more competitive.

"Intern"

Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly environment with focused work

Cons

Not very energetic on some teams

Advice to Management

n/a

3. "Finance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Only hire women in Finance so these male Senior Management Team can abuse them.

Cons

One of the worst management team I have experienced.

"Toxic managers, toxic environment"

Former Employee - Content Strategy Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Content Strategy Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications (More than a year)

Pros

Generous vacation grant and nice offices. You have an actual desk in an open environment.

Cons

Low salaries. It's clear from day 1 that they don't expect anyone to stay and retire here.
    Bizarre benefit range. A company created by women and packed with younger women offers two weeks parental leave.

Terrible management that encourages people to turn on each other in the name of competition. No promotion track outside of management, so people who don't want to be/aren't qualified to be managers are given direct reports without proper training.

Constant layoffs means everyone lives in fear of losing their job. Being a PR agency, everyone works hard at spinning bad situations rather than trying to improve them.

Advice to Management

- Accept there are issues and work to address them rather than cover them up.
    - Treat your employees like human beings rather than numbers. TRAIN YOUR MANAGERS.
    - Create a promotion track for employees who don't long to be directors. (Someone has to do the actual work.)

"Bureaucracy labeled as anything else..."

Former Employee - Service Desk I in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Service Desk I in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, good benefits, posh office after the redesign

Cons

Utter inability to see potential, upper personnel keep moving up while lower personnel stay at the same place for eternity.

Advice to Management

You can write all the training material you like about how to peel a banana, but at the end of the day, if you force feed your people bananas all day every day, no one will care.

"past its prime"

Former Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and there some genuinely nice, hard-working incredibly smart people who work there. When I first started to work there over a decade ago it was the most inspiring, supportive place to be. I gained amazing communications skills from even more amazing people and grew so much professionally and personally. Those people have all left.

Cons

The agency has become a dead end. They are not considered innovative in the market and have not secured a new, major client since landing Microsoft in the 80s. I have learned so much more about the changing field of communications since leaving.

If you don't fit the mold, you may lose your soul trying. I've seen the term "mean girl" used to describe the work environment, and I would have to agree. Senior management is made up of what they call "lifers." Those who have been there 15+ years and who have completely lost touch. The mold to get to senior management is the sorority, alpha female type who bullies and undermines the confidence of those around them to give the appearance of "managing." Senior leadership postures and positions well, but in the end accomplishes fairly worn-out, mediocre work. This seems to be rewarded for some reason. You really don't realize how much confidence you have lost and how much of yourself you have given up trying to move up until you leave, and then you feel as though you escaped an abusive relationship. I know this could be said of many work environments, but I wouldn't chose this again.

Advice to Management

After working here for more than a decade, I honestly don't know what to say to management that would be heard. All the advice I see here on Glassdoor is solid, but it's been given over and over for many years now. No one is listening. I would simply work elsewhere.

"Do your research, read the reviews."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Interview experience positive and company sounded too good to be true.
    Yes, good benefits and some talented PR and marketing people with interesting clients.

Cons

Was too good to be true.
    The benefits are immaterial when you experience what the culture is really about.
    The confrontational, throw-you-under-the-bus behavior from some individuals, in some teams but at all levels, has created an unhealthy, hostile culture. This behavior is tolerated and often rewarded. Others suffer high stress and leave in frustration, even after only a short time, because they can’t take it any more and they know better.
    Advice to you: Read the reviews. Research how long people have stayed. Ask to speak to team members during the interview process.

Advice to Management

Improve internal PR. Deal with the bullies and nasty, negative behavior - it’s costing a lot of money in recruitment and high turnover.

"Great place to work but heavy tech oriented"

Former Employee - Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Intern in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Great culture/open office
    -Great pay
    -Great benefits

Cons

-Fast working environment full of the same type of work
    -There is a clique-y sorority type of vibe that may not jive with everyone
    -Headquarters is in Bellevue which leaves a far commute if you live in south of Seattle/Bellevue area. Needs a Seattle location.

"Up your Comms Game with Smart Colleagues and Clients"

Former Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Account Manager in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Global agency with a lot of opportunity for growth and travel.
    Big, important clients and projects with high expectations and massive reach.
    Resources to do really cool storytelling on the account side and services side (creative, content, digital, etc)
    Sophisticated management and HR structure that values experience and career growth.
    Fair compensation and bonus structure.
    Ability to move up quickly in salary and responsibility.

Cons

I suspect some people would say a con is having Microsoft as a major client. It's not. It's a real opportunity to work on a major global account and you will do really sophisticated and top tier work.

As far as actual cons go, the commute to Bellevue from Seattle isn't always the most fun part of your day. But WE does provide transit passes and parking compensation which helps.

Advice to Management

Consider building in 5% of time for AEs and above to moonlight on other agency or client projects. That can be anything from a trip one year to another office to help on an announcement to being part of a new business pitch team. It's hard to do that on top of the L&D investments the company already makes, but those kinds of opportunities are rare at other big agencies and WE is primed to open the door wider for their staff.

11. "Intern"

Current Employee - Intern in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Intern in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications (Less than a year)

Pros

Incredible people, incredible office, incredible experience.

Cons

Large scale of clients, can be a pro as well.

Advice to Management

N/A