WE Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

WE Communications President and CEO Melissa Waggener Zorkin
Melissa Waggener Zorkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • I've heard of people complain of work life balance (in 41 reviews)

• Long hours/high billing expectation (in 14 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Strong agency to build your career"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning and development program - especially strong for entry to mid level employees who want to learn the industry and be part of a unique culture
    Cool benefits programs including generous time off, paid parental leave, etc.
    Dozens of new clients enabling people to work on a bigger variety of businesses

Cons

The culture is very fast paced and sometimes people don't do enough to reach out to new colleagues as much as they should.

Advice to Management

Glad to see the range of new clients and strong leadership hires.
    Keep evaluating office locations to see what works best for the most employees.

2. "analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good paid, friendly working environment, 20 days paid off

Cons

not good enough for some aggressive people

3. "Analyst - Insights & Analytics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time

Pros

I&A team is great and very supportive of each other. Management within the I&A team is good. Great benefits and flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Poor communication between I&A and Account Team. Very poor executive management of I&A. Constant change and people quit very often. Almost no diversity whatsoever which is extremely disappointing.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the work life balance and flexibility. WE also offers a very competitive benefit package. I love the fact that WE focuses on giving back and allowing their employees to volunteer (16 hours of paid volunteer time). The global exchange program is also amazing. All employees have the opportunity to apply to travel and work from a WE office in another country.

Cons

There are none so far!

"Challenging, rewarding and fun"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time

Pros

Amazing teammates; the people are what make the agency what it is
    Great new clients - finally expanding more outside of Tech
    General Managers are making a positive difference

Cons

Not nearly enough clients for Portland; it'd be nice if we continued to grow and bring on more business for the PDX area
    The agency is doing what it can to hold people accountable for their behavior, but could always be an improvement so that leaders can continue to respect those around them and not act in a hierarchy

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with your employees; highlight the good; PR ourselves more!

"A good agency to build and advance your career"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Lots of senior team members to learn from.
    -Exposure to senior execs on the client side.
    -Ability to move between teams, different business groups

Cons

-Pay seems below the industry average.
    -Can easily get burnt out.
    -High turnover at the entry and mid levels

"Got what I needed"

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big budget experience, lots of senior people to learn from, multitude of case studies, cool large agency perks, looks good on a resume. I started here feeling inspired and that’s a unique feeling i want to bottle up and take with me forever.

Cons

Lack of trust and transparency. Very superficial. Lots of emphasis on peacocking internally. Very hard to meet people outside of your office. Your success is very much determined on your account load, can be hard to add variety to your workload. It’s extremely difficult to get recognized and it can be demotivating

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like they’re disposable and dangling carrots

"Nothing was ever good enough"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Modern office
    Work from Home flexibility
    Young professional dominated
    Client travel
    Well known in industry
    Good on your resume going forward

Cons

The culture here is terrible. It is a cycle of burnout and client over servicing. I just kept trying and waiting for it to get better and thinking I’ll finally hit certain goals but the bar kept moving. Their strategy is to get people in there young, abuse them by working them to the core and paying them nothing and just letting them burn out til they leave. They just need the labor. Then the only people who succeed are the ones drinking the kool aid. I always heard “that’s just the way it is here” and then I got to a position where I was saying it to someone else and I hated myself for it. As people move up they treat the people under them with no mercy because that’s the experience they had at that level.

They can’t keep everyone and move everyone up because they can’t afford it, so they just wait til you leave from frustration and burn out.

You can’t trust anyone here with any sort of weakness or problem. It will be used against you in performance review for any excuse not to promote or give a raise.

The other worst part is favoritism. Somehow a colleague who started as a intern years my junior in experience got promoted and rose the ranks so quickly and I kept hearing in needed to put in the experience.

"Literally the worst"

Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Account Coordinator in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Fridays off in the summer if workload is light
    -Surprisingly, the name still holds cache for a lot of people, so it has helped me get other work

Cons

Run, do not walk, away from this place. Do not pass go, do not collect $100, do not apply here for your own wellbeing and sanity.
    -Compensation: Almost unlivable.
    -Management: Completely inept. In a company-wide meeting about drumming up new business, admitted they had no plan to actually do that. No one is trained and feedback is all over the place. I would win agency wide awards one day and the next day hear that my team was thinking about canning me for no apparent reason (see Mean Girl culture below).
    -Micromanagement: My boss had to "check over" all my emails, even if they were going just to an internal team. Literally the guy would not give up control to let me do anything. Just weird.
    -Overwork: When I left, they replaced me with 4 interns. So, I was doing the work of four people for about 10k more than the federal poverty level. Awesome!
    -Mean Girl Culture: It's a thing. If you aren't a mean girl (or aren't liked by them), you will never progress. Work ethic, actual doing of good work, etc is basically meaningless here. Hope you like sadism!
    -High Rate of Turnover: If someone survives longer than 2 years here, they have either carved out a niche by being a SME on something and agggressively not teaching that skill to anyone else, or they are in favor with a mean girl. I worked here for just a year and almost 3/4ths of the people I worked with were gone 6-8 months after I left.
    -Unethical: Product developed to provide customer insights did not work, was asked to lie to cover up this fact.
    -Not Educated on Products: You'd think that if you are doing PR on technical products, you could actually explain things about the products themselves...there is so much emphasis on looking good and spinning here that employees lack the ability to explain the technology they are pitching. Embarrassing, frankly, for both MSFT and WE.

Advice to Management

You have problems: just read the last 2-3 years of reviews on Glassdoor, honestly.

"It Is What You Make Of It"

Pros

WE hires smart talented professionals who are passionate about the work they do and passionate about the clients they support. They offer great development programs for all levels of employees and generally go above and beyond and offer great benefits for the size of the company.

Cons

Like most companies, your experience at WE can vary greatly depending on what team you are on. Some teams struggle with work/life balance but many are great, some teams have bad managers, but most are awesome, etc. Building consistency across teams regardless of which client they support would be good for this company.

Advice to Management

Be willing to get in the trenches with your employees more, make time for face to face time with junior folks. Spend more time teaching all employees the business and invest more in key infrastructure positions.