WE Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

WE Communications President and CEO Melissa Waggener Zorkin
Melissa Waggener Zorkin

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • People can work long hours so work life balance can suffer (in 42 reviews)

• Long hours/high billing expectation (in 15 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Strong agency to build your career"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great learning and development program - especially strong for entry to mid level employees who want to learn the industry and be part of a unique culture
    Cool benefits programs including generous time off, paid parental leave, etc.
    Dozens of new clients enabling people to work on a bigger variety of businesses

Cons

The culture is very fast paced and sometimes people don't do enough to reach out to new colleagues as much as they should.

Advice to Management

Glad to see the range of new clients and strong leadership hires.
    Keep evaluating office locations to see what works best for the most employees.

2. "analyst"

Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Analyst in San Francisco, CA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good paid, friendly working environment, 20 days paid off

Cons

not good enough for some aggressive people

3. "Great people, but still an agency"

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I felt loved and supported at WE. Their internship/training/mentorship culture is well established and encourages growth. Standards are high, which means when you leave you'll take with you a sharp set of skills that translate well inside and outside the industry. Most teams value collaboration and creativity and new ideas are welcome. The leadership is actively trying to adjust to a changing culture of work by experimenting with remote work, open seating in some offices, office events, and participating in the community. And the HR team is incredibly trustworthy and supportive. For the most part, you can count on your team really being behind your success and wellbeing.

Cons

This is still an agency. The work is never-ending, client-requests are paramount at the end of the day, and you can expect minimal work/life "balance." When client budgets shrink, the agency hasn't done a good enough job making sure the number of deliverables shrink with it. The results are overworked, anxious, and exhausted JR staff. Finally, the promotion system is in need of an overhaul: there are marked discrepancies depending on team or manager, so peers can have substantially different trajectories regarding promotion timeline, salary, expectations, etc. In the end, the key to growth at WE is how well you market yourself to leadership.

Advice to Management

Make sure JR staff are getting credit for all those hours worked and take a close look at the promotion system

4. "Gain valuable experience representing top companies worldwide"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Clients represented are some of the most well-known companies and brands in the world. At WE, we are responsible for full-scale communications, getting to work on incredible projects and work on behalf of these companies.

-For those looking to gain PR experience to either go to another agency, in house, or even advance up the ranks at WE, this agency has one of the best reputations in the business. They're doing great things across the company and worldwide, and offer incredible learning and work opportunities for people building their careers. One year of working on a Microsoft account at WE is like the equivalent to 2-3 years anywhere else.

-Socially conscious company looking to do good in the world and for its employees.

-Fun office atmosphere with a lot of young people.

-CEO is very involved in people's happiness and makes herself visible to senior and junior staff alike

-Awesome work-life balance

Cons

-Team dynamics and opportunity for advancement varies (sometimes drastically) across the agency so that even if you are operating at a high level, if your team (or manager) is slow to promote, you could get "stuck" at a more junior level.

-Salary is not competitive with the marketplace, but experienced gained oftentimes outweighs that.

-Lack of diversity within the agency, although we support those efforts for our clients.

Advice to Management

-Create a standardized process across the agency for considering promotions, and if a title promotion isn't available, bring options to the table (such as merit bonus, vacation days, etc.) That goes a long way in creating company loyalty and encouraging people to stay at the agency, when competitors are paying much more.

5. "Analyst - Insights & Analytics"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time

Pros

I&A team is great and very supportive of each other. Management within the I&A team is good. Great benefits and flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Poor communication between I&A and Account Team. Very poor executive management of I&A. Constant change and people quit very often. Almost no diversity whatsoever which is extremely disappointing.

"Great place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I love the work life balance and flexibility. WE also offers a very competitive benefit package. I love the fact that WE focuses on giving back and allowing their employees to volunteer (16 hours of paid volunteer time). The global exchange program is also amazing. All employees have the opportunity to apply to travel and work from a WE office in another country.

Cons

There are none so far!

"Challenging, rewarding and fun"

I have been working at WE Communications full-time

Pros

Amazing teammates; the people are what make the agency what it is
    Great new clients - finally expanding more outside of Tech
    General Managers are making a positive difference

Cons

Not nearly enough clients for Portland; it'd be nice if we continued to grow and bring on more business for the PDX area
    The agency is doing what it can to hold people accountable for their behavior, but could always be an improvement so that leaders can continue to respect those around them and not act in a hierarchy

Advice to Management

Continue to be transparent with your employees; highlight the good; PR ourselves more!

"A good agency to build and advance your career"

Current Employee - Senior Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Lots of senior team members to learn from.
    -Exposure to senior execs on the client side.
    -Ability to move between teams, different business groups

Cons

-Pay seems below the industry average.
    -Can easily get burnt out.
    -High turnover at the entry and mid levels

"Got what I needed"

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Big budget experience, lots of senior people to learn from, multitude of case studies, cool large agency perks, looks good on a resume. I started here feeling inspired and that’s a unique feeling i want to bottle up and take with me forever.

Cons

Lack of trust and transparency. Very superficial. Lots of emphasis on peacocking internally. Very hard to meet people outside of your office. Your success is very much determined on your account load, can be hard to add variety to your workload. It’s extremely difficult to get recognized and it can be demotivating

Advice to Management

Stop treating employees like they’re disposable and dangling carrots

"Nothing was ever good enough"

Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Senior Account Executive in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Modern office
    Work from Home flexibility
    Young professional dominated
    Client travel
    Well known in industry
    Good on your resume going forward

Cons

The culture here is terrible. It is a cycle of burnout and client over servicing. I just kept trying and waiting for it to get better and thinking I’ll finally hit certain goals but the bar kept moving. Their strategy is to get people in there young, abuse them by working them to the core and paying them nothing and just letting them burn out til they leave. They just need the labor. Then the only people who succeed are the ones drinking the kool aid. I always heard “that’s just the way it is here” and then I got to a position where I was saying it to someone else and I hated myself for it. As people move up they treat the people under them with no mercy because that’s the experience they had at that level.

They can’t keep everyone and move everyone up because they can’t afford it, so they just wait til you leave from frustration and burn out.

You can’t trust anyone here with any sort of weakness or problem. It will be used against you in performance review for any excuse not to promote or give a raise.

The other worst part is favoritism. Somehow a colleague who started as a intern years my junior in experience got promoted and rose the ranks so quickly and I kept hearing in needed to put in the experience.