WE Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
WE Communications President and CEO Melissa Waggener Zorkin
Melissa Waggener Zorkin

Pros
Cons
  • I've heard of people complain of work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Long hours/high billing expectation (in 14 reviews)

"Bureaucracy labeled as anything else..."

Former Employee - Service Desk I in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Service Desk I in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people, good benefits, posh office after the redesign

Cons

Utter inability to see potential, upper personnel keep moving up while lower personnel stay at the same place for eternity.

Advice to Management

You can write all the training material you like about how to peel a banana, but at the end of the day, if you force feed your people bananas all day every day, no one will care.

"past its prime"

Former Employee - Director in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Director in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay and benefits and there some genuinely nice, hard-working incredibly smart people who work there. When I first started to work there over a decade ago it was the most inspiring, supportive place to be. I gained amazing communications skills from even more amazing people and grew so much professionally and personally. Those people have all left.

Cons

The agency has become a dead end. They are not considered innovative in the market and have not secured a new, major client since landing Microsoft in the 80s. I have learned so much more about the changing field of communications since leaving.

If you don't fit the mold, you may lose your soul trying. I've seen the term "mean girl" used to describe the work environment, and I would have to agree. Senior management is made up of what they call "lifers." Those who have been there 15+ years and who have completely lost touch. The mold to get to senior management is the sorority, alpha female type who bullies and undermines the confidence of those around them to give the appearance of "managing." Senior leadership postures and positions well, but in the end accomplishes fairly worn-out, mediocre work. This seems to be rewarded for some reason. You really don't realize how much confidence you have lost and how much of yourself you have given up trying to move up until you leave, and then you feel as though you escaped an abusive relationship. I know this could be said of many work environments, but I wouldn't chose this again.

Advice to Management

After working here for more than a decade, I honestly don't know what to say to management that would be heard. All the advice I see here on Glassdoor is solid, but it's been given over and over for many years now. No one is listening. I would simply work elsewhere.

"Everything depends on who you know..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Some people very friendly, ample drinks served. It looked okay enough on my resume to get me the great job I have now, so that's a perk. Some teams were composed of great, smart people. I am hoping by now a lot of them have found a better place to work. My specific role gave me great work-life balance, but that was definitely not the case for all.

Cons

Negative environment most of the time. This place is most definitely a stepping stone for quite a few people. Start here, move on to bigger and better things. Emphasis on the better. Many mid-level and upper-level managers were not effective or expressed great favoritism. I saw a lot of good people get passed over for roles they worked hard to earn. It was all about who you knew and how to get in their favor. Sort of like high school- felt a lot like "making it" meant you knew how to convince people you were capable all while maintaining a certain look and attitude. Large amount of turnover. Also, very low comp for the market. Like.... really low. Do your research before accepting offers. Hoping this has all changed by now, but I doubt it.

Advice to Management

Work on building better managers. Offer extensive training. Reevaluate your structure and why you do the things you do. Are your practices truly happiness- and success-driven or just what "works right now." Evaluate your market and make yourselves more competitive with the world around you. Enforce positive culture, and recognize good work all around, not just by the few.

"Good people but not organized"

Former Employee - Insights & Analytics Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Insights & Analytics Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications (More than a year)

Pros

The people are really great at WE.

Cons

The company is not organized and the pay is not great.

Advice to Management

Reward the people that work hard.

"Assistant Account Executive"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of work to do, high profile clients, top tier media relations, strong female empowerment culture

Cons

Overtly bureaucratic, weak middle management, too dependant upon Microsoft for earning correlating to high turnover for entry employees in times of restructuring or poor performance, poor work life balance due to an overburdened team

"Not recommended unless you are very thick skinned."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part, the people are great. I made some lifelong friendships while at WE. The PTO benefit is one that keeps people there. I was pushed to be better at my job like no other place I've worked, and I benefited from that.

Cons

Very much a sorority. One day you are the best of the best, and the next you are getting fired. I spoke up about something I wasn't happy with, and they decided it was time for me to leave. For account staff, there is no work life balance because the senior leadership works 24/7. Junior staffers believe they have to emulate this behavior, or they will be fired. During my time, I saw people fired for "just doing their job". I was with WE for 5 years, and wondered every day if I was going to get fired. Very toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and their concerns, without the threat of termination (they like to call it separation). Look at what your competitors (not clients) are doing to insure employee retention, and follow the industry example.

"VP+"

Former Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong PR pros, good benefits, flexible hours/WFH

Cons

There is an aggressive internal program in place to increase the scores on Glassdoor. What does that tell you? CEO is insulated from the employees and either doesn't want to know what's really going on or puts her head in the sand. Mean girls culture - one day you're in, the next you're out. Great PR pros are leaving because of the toxic culture there. The leadership needs to change in order to stop the bleeding.

Advice to Management

Go on an employee listening tour, and don't punish employees for telling the truth.

"Good starting place, but don't get stuck"

Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Graphic Designer in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

I really enjoyed my immediate team and the types of projects we were doing.

The PR teams were professional and pleasant to interact with.

Good starting point for a career, but I definitely wouldn't stay and get stuck in a rut.

Cons

My last few months at WE were absolutely demoralizing and I was treated in such a derogatory and unprofessional manner it affected my life outside of work negatively.

Generally, interaction with the actual PR account teams was pleasant and professional but there's also a clear disconnect when it comes to PR teams understanding requirements and deliverables around non-PR related projects. The result of this was minimal budget for our team on projects, so big ideas weren't always executable.

Perks and benefits are constantly being slashed. Work life balance no longer exists. Whenever there is an upper management change, expect a ton of disruption. In four years I went through about 6 different company reorganizations.

The culture outside of service teams is very sorority-like. There are occasions where people you work directly with don't acknowledge you outside of meetings. It gets old fast and you don't realize how toxic team culture can be until you've left.

In non-PR roles there really is no way to advance. You're ultimately handling the same projects, even if your title changes.

Advice to Management

Vet who you bring into leadership roles beyond a personal recommendation from a leader. That person may not always really know who they're bringing in.

Stop trying to create a culture that doesn't align with your clients' values. Not all clients are "sexy" or want to show up that way. There's a clear disconnect between what your client needs and what your teams want to deliver.

"Needs help"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun community of co-workers. While not always willing to work contribute to projects on teams, it can be easy to form a support system outside account work with in the agency.

Awesome clients -- always a draw-in.

Great for internship experience.

Cons

Would have loved to see more honesty, integrity, agility and advocacy from management to show that they value and can grow individuals strengths.

"Feedback cycles" seemed largely hypocritical and gossip focused. Would have loved to see more constructive and specific examples and suggestions.

Managers and leads don't set solid examples for lower level staff. While expectations are high, leadership is often unable to deliver professionalism in forms of internal communications and meetings.

Advice to Management

Listen carefully to the needs of junior level employees. While it's normal to have high turn over in the industry, it would be nice to see a company that could retain and grow people based on their abilities and contributions. Everyone likes a brand who cares, make WE a place where people can feel confident, inspired and hopeful about their careers and the work they do.

"days of glory are behind them"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I have been working at WE Communications (More than 3 years)

Pros

still some good people left

Cons

it feels like a sinking ship

Advice to Management

have a better strategic plan