WE Communications Reviews | Glassdoor

WE Communications Reviews

Updated May 13, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • I've heard of people complain of work life balance (in 37 reviews)

• Long hours/high billing expectation (in 14 reviews)

"Best time of my life since college"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Amazing leadership, great location and strong teams. Having a location that isn't too central means a better space and the ability to focus on letting excellence happen by focusing a gold standard of client service. Fantastic clients like Microsoft that challenge your work to strive for your professional best. Inspirational leadership from the CEO down

Cons

I've heard of people complain of work life balance. I disagree with that. If you aren't focused, not willing to push the envelope of your ability, and don't want to work on clients who are changing the world go to Edelman or Weber Shandwick instead.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. Having a values based business where doing good is as important as profit is something other businesses are only waking up to. You have a strong culture it, treasure it. It was amazing to work alongside industry thought leaders.

2. "SVP"

Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It's a great place to build a career. Teams work well together, managers and management are decent and transparent and smart. Overall, it's a very nice place to work.

Cons

Not too many here - it's a very nice place to work!

"Everything depends on who you know..."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

Pros

Some people very friendly, ample drinks served. It looked okay enough on my resume to get me the great job I have now, so that's a perk. Some teams were composed of great, smart people. I am hoping by now a lot of them have found a better place to work. My specific role gave me great work-life balance, but that was definitely not the case for all.

Cons

Negative environment most of the time. This place is most definitely a stepping stone for quite a few people. Start here, move on to bigger and better things. Emphasis on the better. Many mid-level and upper-level managers were not effective or expressed great favoritism. I saw a lot of good people get passed over for roles they worked hard to earn. It was all about who you knew and how to get in their favor. Sort of like high school- felt a lot like "making it" meant you knew how to convince people you were capable all while maintaining a certain look and attitude. Large amount of turnover. Also, very low comp for the market. Like.... really low. Do your research before accepting offers. Hoping this has all changed by now, but I doubt it.

Advice to Management

Work on building better managers. Offer extensive training. Reevaluate your structure and why you do the things you do. Are your practices truly happiness- and success-driven or just what "works right now." Evaluate your market and make yourselves more competitive with the world around you. Enforce positive culture, and recognize good work all around, not just by the few.

"Great for the basics, but pretty stressful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lake Oswego, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you want to learn the basics of PR and driving top stories, this is a great place to learn. I have been hired into another line of work because I came from WE; I was told that WE alum are great at both strategy AND execution. So it is an excellent place to start. And the work flexibility (at certain levels) and time off (for all levels) is tough to beat.

Cons

It is a mean-girls club that breeds paranoia and can lead to you feeling like a battered woman who has no self confidence--like you are never good enough. You live from praise mail to praise mail and save them to remind yourself you HAVE added value. A number of people have told me they feel like they suffered PTSD after that place. It is all about the quality of your manager and how they do (or don't) protect you from the BS that comes from the highest levels.

Advice to Management

Be nice, be kind, be generous with praise and watch the insane egos at the top.

"WE is great!"

Current Employee - Client Service Accountant I in Lake Oswego, OR
    Current Employee - Client Service Accountant I in Lake Oswego, OR

I have been working at WE Communications full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Excellent benefits, great company culture.

Cons

Can easily get over loaded when people leave.

"Good people but not organized"

Former Employee - Insights & Analytics Analyst in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Insights & Analytics Analyst in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications (More than a year)

Pros

The people are really great at WE.

Cons

The company is not organized and the pay is not great.

Advice to Management

Reward the people that work hard.

"Assistant Account Executive"

Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Assistant Account Executive in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of work to do, high profile clients, top tier media relations, strong female empowerment culture

Cons

Overtly bureaucratic, weak middle management, too dependant upon Microsoft for earning correlating to high turnover for entry employees in times of restructuring or poor performance, poor work life balance due to an overburdened team

"Account team"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Portland, OR

I have been working at WE Communications (More than 10 years)

Pros

Some super-ambitious people who bring great ideas and passion to the practice. More opportunity to work with top influencers, build relationships. Variety in the type of work one can do, if one is interested in moving around.

Cons

Couple things. Those who really want to excel and grow should choose their team wisely. Options are limited outside of a few core accounts and there is an unspoken reality that to advance, you need to spend a sizeable amount of time in Seattle. As other reviewers have mentioned, there is a sorority culture and not a lot of diversity. The Portland office is a dead zone. Long rows of empty cubes, generally low energy, it's tough. On the upside, new leadership is making progress in creating a vision, which has helped bring a sense that someone is actually leading the company.

Advice to Management

Something needs to happen to the poor Portland office. It's a soul-sucking carcass. There should be more transparency about opportunities outside of a few core accounts where clients, business are invested in stellar PR and doing it well. Finally, more diversity. This is one of the most homogeneous places you can work - really counter as a culture for out of the box thinking.

"Not recommended unless you are very thick skinned."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bellevue, WA

I worked at WE Communications (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part, the people are great. I made some lifelong friendships while at WE. The PTO benefit is one that keeps people there. I was pushed to be better at my job like no other place I've worked, and I benefited from that.

Cons

Very much a sorority. One day you are the best of the best, and the next you are getting fired. I spoke up about something I wasn't happy with, and they decided it was time for me to leave. For account staff, there is no work life balance because the senior leadership works 24/7. Junior staffers believe they have to emulate this behavior, or they will be fired. During my time, I saw people fired for "just doing their job". I was with WE for 5 years, and wondered every day if I was going to get fired. Very toxic environment.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees and their concerns, without the threat of termination (they like to call it separation). Look at what your competitors (not clients) are doing to insure employee retention, and follow the industry example.

"VP+"

Former Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR
    Former Employee - Vice President in Portland, OR

I worked at WE Communications full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Strong PR pros, good benefits, flexible hours/WFH

Cons

There is an aggressive internal program in place to increase the scores on Glassdoor. What does that tell you? CEO is insulated from the employees and either doesn't want to know what's really going on or puts her head in the sand. Mean girls culture - one day you're in, the next you're out. Great PR pros are leaving because of the toxic culture there. The leadership needs to change in order to stop the bleeding.

Advice to Management

Go on an employee listening tour, and don't punish employees for telling the truth.